Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i 201k
Just added Aux input to pre 04 business cd without any adapters

So I searched High and low for a simple aux input for the pre 2002 business radio. I couldn't find one. So i decided to do my own. I pulled the radio out took it apart and soldered leads to the R and L and G on the bottom of the bread board. I hot glued them in place and ran them out of a heat vent hole. Then I re assembled everything. You have to put the stereo in CD mode and have a disc in. When you plug in you device it will over ride the the CD and you will hear your mp3 player/phone. Where there is a will there is a way! sorry after posting i noticed the title says "pre 04" I meant for it to say "pre 02"

Last edited by Johngreaver; 05-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM

BTW i just used things i had laying around. I am going to hit up radio shack to get the female cable end for a more oem look.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Updated DIY for pre 2002 AUX IN

So I have searched everywhere for a way to add AUX IN on pre 2002 CD53 radios. Everything I read said it was impossible to do without a 80 dollar adapter. I don’t like spending money on things I know I can do my self and I really don’t like the word “impossible”. So here it goes how to add an AUX in to a pre 2002 business radios

Tools you will need
1)Wide flat head screw driver for trim removal or putty knife
2)Phillips head for removing head unit
3)Set of jewelers screw driver
3) soldering iron
4)Solder
5) Most importantly very steady hands
6) 10MM socket and wrench or driver
7)hot glue gun
8)electrical tape
9) Male or female 3.5mm jack ( this was a Beta run for me so I used what I had a male 3.5)
10) Sand paper
11)Hot glue gun

1) Remove head unit from car there are several guides for this. It takes 5 minutes.

2) After removing the head unit find a clean flat work area.

3) Start by removing the three bronze screws on top use your jewelers screw driver

4) Pop off top cover

5) Remove the 2 screws holding on the face plate

6) Remove the 4 screws holding in the cd tray

7) Remove cd tray gently it should just pop out

8) Pop off face plate be very careful there are clips on the bottom also

9) Remove the 4 long screws in the heat sink on the side it should pop right off

10) Remove the screw on the support bracket pull it out

11) Remove the 10mm bolt on back of radio

12) Remove the screws that mount the board in and all remaining screws on the bottom

13) Carefully wiggle board out

14) Now that you have the board out flip ,it over and look at the pins where your cd player plugs into the breadboard it should be a black or grey connector .

15) You need to find the pins for L in R in And a G mine were the first 3 on the right.

16) I had blue protection adhesive over my connection lightly sand the pins you will be using

17) Prep you lead wire for your 3.5 jack by stripping 1/8 inch of insulation off the end of the red and green

18) Take you electrical tape and insulate your ground wire all but 1/8th inch on the tip

19) Tin your wires

20) Very carefully and I mean very carefully solder your green wire to the L channel pin then the red wire to the R channel pin and the Ground G DO NOT let solder flow to the other pins you will render your stereo useless.

21) Now that you’re done with the hard part lat a piece of electrical tape over pins in front of where you soldered to help prevent shorts

22) Run your lead wire out through the closest vent hole and reassemble stereo

23) Now decide you much wire you will need and solder on your 3.5mm jack

24) Reinstall your stereo and put your aux in where ever you desire

25) Pop a cd in and put the stereo in cd mode now plug in your device and it will over ride the cd an there you have it AUX IN the hard way

Just remember to be extremely careful while doing this you could destroy your head unit. But with great risk comes great reward. Sorry i didn't take pics of taking apart the head unit apart.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Budders
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330Ci
I wanna add something like this to my car. do you have anymore info on this topic?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM

What else do you want to know.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
BMW = Fahrvergnügen

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci
Cool idea! I don't like modding my head unit quite that much, so I bought one of these. Works great except for that I needed a ground loop isolator and still need to fix a digital ground click issue common to the trunk mounted AUX units for E46's.
- Xenons, aFe CAI, Scorpion Muffler, Racing Dynamics Strut Bar, PowerFlex FCAB's, 330i ZHP Shift Knob, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Dead Pedal, Sparco Alloy Pedal Covers (Now with Busted Brake Pedal Cover!), CDV-ectomy

'99.5 Audi A4 Avant quattro 1.8T 5MT — Silver
- Winter beater, now with boooooost! Still putting her back together.

'05 Subaru Forester 2.5XS — Alpine White
- Wife's whip
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Budders
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330Ci
I opened up my radio today to no avail. The board was completly different and not even the same brand. I have a 2001 330Ci and it came with an 00' unit with no labels on the chips. No +, _, L, R nothing.. just a blank board with all the circuits.. the circuits were all in different places too..

I ordered a Kenwood Refurb unit off of ebay and an amp integration harness so I can just use bluetooth
Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Yeah to 2000 radios are slightly different. If you look at the wiki there is a guide for the earlier radios.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 02 330xi
What's the sound like using this mod? Figure I ask before I start cutting up/drilling the centre switch console for the AUX input
Old 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 02 330xi
I went ahead and did this mod to my stereo, the longest probably took opening up the stereo. But it was straight forward and very simple. Sounds scarier then it actually is.

Anyways, the end result it sounds amazing. No hisses nothing. A1 on this guide.

This was sweet because I thought my stereo couldn't do AUX and I gave up on that idea.. but this is sweet now! Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Just did the same to my 2002 330i. Sounds great, but sometimes to select AUX instead of CD I have to turn the head unit off, start playing on my phone, then turn on the head unit again. Probably has to do with my phone too.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
If you aren't interested in going quite that deep into your head unit to get a suitable aux in, I'm selling aux inputs for pre '02 BMWs for $35. Check me out at http://quidzel.com
Old 08-09-2014, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi
I have 325i '03
The previous owner installed the aux cable but the sound is bad ,poor ,week from my phone
Can I do something about that to improve it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2002
Sorry im new to this whole deal but where is the ground wire coming from cause I have like 3 different aux cords please help
Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: '99 323i with 287K miles
Depending on when your stereo head unit was made, generally around '9/'02 with some caveats regarding the software version, your stereo is either aux capable from the factory or not. Generally if your stereo is newer than this, you can install a number of simple cables including BMW part # 82110149389.

The older stereos require some sort of hacking - either you can do the circuit board mod as described by the OP, or by an adapter that connects to the CD changer lines. We offer a simple aux input kit(see below) that uses the CD changer connections and sounds great.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the ground, but in any case, your audio ground will be on the 10 pin input connections behind your stereo.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2002
Never mind I went ahead and tried it on my 325i 2002 and it works great couldn't be more happy. Gotta admit getting the alpine apart was a pain in the ass. Also thank you so much ive been looking everywhere for something like this.