Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Dilema...

I have an 06 that Im absolutely in love with....
I was offered $25k (it has only 50k miles) and I have an opportunity to buy a 09 or a10 M6 Convertible with low miles and great price....

Besides a faster, a little sportier looking car, what do I get with an M6 over my baby....?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
I was offered $25k (it has only 50k miles) and I have an opportunity to buy a 09 or a10 M6 Convertible with low miles and great price....

Besides a faster, a little sportier looking car, what do I get with an M6 over my baby....?
Hi Coug,

First off you have a beautiful 6. I can certainly understand why you are in love with it. The 128's look great. If you do trade it in maybe you can switch back to your stock wheels and sell the 128's seperately.

In an 09 or 10 M6 first and foremost you will get all the upgrades that came with the LCI. That includes the led turn signals which make a huge difference IMO. The trunk is different as well, but nit a huge deal to me. You will also get the upgraded idrive controller in the 09 (not a big deal), or the new hard drive based nav in the 10(big deal).

As for M6 specific upgrades I will list a few, but there are many. First you will get the exterior body kit; front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, mirrors, carbon fiber roof, etc. Other exterior features are the quad exhaust, georgeous forged wheels, upgraded brakes, and of course M6 badges all around.

On the interior you will get the great steering wheel with M colored stitching, behind the steering wheel is the M gauge cluster, Alcantara headliner, full leather, carbon fiber, seats, etc. You also get the adjustable suspension, adjustable shift speeds, mdm mode for traction, and of course the great, albeit pricey, SMG transmission. Then of course there is the M button on the steering wheel you get to push every time you get into the car.

Now the big difference; the motor. A high revving, NA, 5L V10 that revs to 8,250 RPMs and produces 500 HP and a glorious soundtrack. In the future to get a motor of these specs you will be buying Itallian and in the $100,000+ used price range. The power delivery is instantaneous. Almost like you are part of the car. The sound is intoxicating. It turns heads because people don't hear this type of sound often. This motor is reason enough to get this car.

Now, a few things that you will loose. Gas milage will drop significantly; expect 10mpg. Service will cost more; oil, brakes, fluids. Tires will be burnt through faster. Insurance will go up. And the potential for expensive repairs will increase. Many of these will not be an issue if you are under warranty which is a great feeling with the M6. Mine ran out in February and I have since spend $2000 on a clutch replacmemt at 49,500 miles.

Overall, if you can, absolutely go for it! There isn't a car anywhere near this price range that offers this unique, entry level exotic driving experience. I have had mine for over a year and 14,000 miles and I still can't believe it's mine. Every day I hop behind the wheel I feel like I am at one of those "drive an exotic for an hour" deals, but I get to keep going as long as I like.

Trust me, you won't regret the M6.

Edit: You also get an LSD which is a big deal. Launch control as well, but I have only used that a few times.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614

Last edited by Db750; 05-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Dilema...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Hi Coug,

First off you have a beautiful 6. I can certainly understand why you are in love with it. The 128's look great. If you do trade it in maybe you can switch back to your stock wheels and sell the 128's seperately.

In an 09 or 10 M6 first and foremost you will get all the upgrades that came with the LCI. That includes the led turn signals which make a huge difference IMO. The trunk is different as well, but nit a huge deal to me. You will also get the upgraded idrive controller in the 09 (not a big deal), or the new hard drive based nav in the 10(big deal).

As for M6 specific upgrades I will list a few, but there are many. First you will get the exterior body kit; front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, mirrors, carbon fiber roof, etc. Other exterior features are the quad exhaust, georgeous forged wheels, upgraded brakes, and of course M6 badges all around.

On the interior you will get the great steering wheel with M colored stitching, behind the steering wheel is the M gauge cluster, Alcantara headliner, full leather, carbon fiber, seats, etc. You also get the adjustable suspension, adjustable shift speeds, mdm mode for traction, and of course the great, albeit pricey, SMG transmission. Then of course there is the M button on the steering wheel you get to push every time you get into the car.

Now the big difference; the motor. A high revving, NA, 5L V10 that revs to 8,250 RPMs and produces 500 HP and a glorious soundtrack. In the future to get a motor of these specs you will be buying Itallian and in the $100,000+ used price range. The power delivery is instantaneous. Almost like you are part of the car. The sound is intoxicating. It turns heads because people don't hear this type of sound often. This motor is reason enough to get this car.

Now, a few things that you will loose. Gas milage will drop significantly; expect 10mpg. Service will cost more; oil, brakes, fluids. Tires will be burnt through faster. Insurance will go up. And the potential for expensive repairs will increase. Many of these will not be an issue if you are under warranty which is a great feeling with the M6. Mine ran out in February and I have since spend $2000 on a clutch replacmemt at 49,500 miles.

Overall, if you can, absolutely go for it! There isn't a car anywhere near this price range that offers this unique, entry level exotic driving experience. I have had mine for over a year and 14,000 miles and I still can't believe it's mine. Every day I hop behind the wheel I feel like I am at one of those "drive an exotic for an hour" deals, but I get to keep going as long as I like.

Trust me, you won't regret the M6.

Edit: You also get an LSD which is a big deal. Launch control as well, but I have only used that a few times.
+1

Insurance will obviously be higher, but you should be able to afford the M6, with depreciation accounted for already.
Expect to find yourself driving well over the speed limit with the M6

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI, sport package
The big difference will, of course, be in performance.

The difference in power between the m6 and it's lesser siblings is unreal. Acceleration alone will be neckbreaking compared to the 650i. There is virtually NO "gray zone" between the pedal and the engine.
The car will always seem like it wants to go fast.

I found the m6 suspension to not be too far ahead of the sport suspension on my 645 but I'm able to break deeper into a corner and my breaks bite harder. The LSD itself is compitent, but the 6er in general is very well mannered around high speed corners and, while it's nice to have, unless you're tracking the car it won't be very noticable if at all.

If you're wanting upgrades in the interior, I'd save your money. For the MPG drop and the insurance increase, the minor touches inside the ///M aren't really worth it IMHO. So if you're after a better interior, go seven series.

Lot's of people buy an ///M just to have those badges and bragging rights which, again IMHO, is possibly the worst reason to buy a car. Especially a luxury performance vehicle. People like that have no understanding of the beautiful way the car is designed to bring together all the elements of performance together with a level of comfort well above other breeds of cars. That's why I love BMW, and lol, also, why I hate when people buy an ///M and never use them properly. I'f you're scared of getting a little break dust on your rims; don't buy the car.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Very true indeed.
Here is a video that will surely complicate things a bit more. I love this video, just substitute the number 5 in M5 to a 6 as the experience is quite the same. And in this case with the top down??
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Dilema...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Very true indeed.
Here is a video that will surely complicate things a bit more. I love this video, just substitute the number 5 in M5 to a 6 as the experience is quite the same. And in this case with the top down??
Every time I hear the sound of that magnificent V10, I just get so excited. That is IMO, one of the best of the naturally aspirated BMWs ever made. The new FI engines don't make the M division as unique as they once were. Any car company can slap a turbo or supercharger on their car, but can any of them maximize efficiency from using the lowest displacement possible?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Well... I still haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards keeping my 6 now that Ive had time to digest the opportunity for a while. I would like the upgraded look in the interior (I know it minor and the LCI upgrade) and the newer bells and whistles (like HUD & comfort access) but I can always retrofit that into my car one day if I have to have it.
Its paid off too and I know I will be picking up a 7 here in a few years, I forgot about that. I miss my 745...

Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M6
I was in your shoes, and traded up to M6 and haven't regretted it one bit. The gas mileage is the biggest issue but when you here that exhaust roar and the acceleration it unmeasurable!!!!

08 M6: Cabrio, Sapphire Black, H&R Lowering Springs, InCurve 20" Wheels, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Calipers Painted Red with M-Logo

02 Ford Focus SVT: Run around car
04 Ford F-150: For pulling sea doos and quads

04 645i Cabrio, Titanium Silver ( SOLD )
00 Mercedes CLK Conv (SOLD)
94 Mustang GT (SOLD)
88 Mustang GT (SOLD)
87 Honda CRX (SOLD)
77 BMW 320i (SOLD)
74 Mecury Capri V6 (SOLD)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post

I have a friend with the M6 and I'm not sure I would want one. I have driven it and it's amazing. It's an 07 with 19K miles on it, and it's his hobby and his toy. Unless you have some additional body work the look is not very dramatically different that a 650i.

The SMG can be a problem but that's not the reason. It's more expensive to run but that's not the issue either. It's work, and you have to DRIVE IT every minute! Here's what I mean by that. It's more like the Italian sports cars. Most owners don't drive them to commute.

I love the 650i since it has a combination of cool looks and performance. It's fast but not a lot of work work if you just what to lay back and just drive. I drive 10-12k a year on this car so it's almost a daily driver. In traffic it's not a lot of work, and I get into a lot of traffic in LA.

The M6 is a beast and will kick almost any other car in the pants. Many of the M owners use them as a secondary car not the main driver. It's their "Toy" and a great one. So for me it's a bit more beast than I really want, but it you want to have more fun flexing your BMW muscle that's a great choice. But either manual (more reliable) or SMG it's work in traffic and as a DD.

Either one is a fantastic car but not what I want for me. BTW, if you really want to race your M6 forget the Cabrio since most racks won't let you on.

Good luck, either way you can't go wrong.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM

Dilema...

It's typical that this happens to me.... Right after I put money into my car is usually when I get a new one.....

Old 05-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Hey Coug60! I am at the same cross roads man. I was looking to move into a 2012 650 vert but I just cannot give up my 3 pedals man. The new ones even though they are great rides (Love the interior) it is soooooo sad that BMW did not introduce a manual version. Big mistake in my opinion. But I hear they are coming back with the manual option. I think it pissed a lot of true BMW enthusiast off that there was no manual in their line up. Even the sales guy actually told me to keep my car if you can believe that! but he called me a few days ago and said they got in a 2010 M6 manual black on black. Man I test drove it and almost made the deal right there but had to discuss things with the wife first because of the expense. The price is not the problem but the increase insurance. Haven't spoken to my agent yet. But I am at that that point where I'm not 100% sure I want to give up mine with 50K on it and still a sweet ride to drive and move into something else Damn BMW's!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Oh by the way the Knicks is giving me heart burn right now! Geeeeze!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 AM

I was on the fence, just leaning on it now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
Oh by the way the Knicks is giving me heart burn right now! Geeeeze!
Tell me about it..... Dam Pacers...

Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 06' BMW 650i
If you think you need the change, go ahead. Keep in mind your car still has a lot of life to it, and I feel you should keep enjoying it, not have someone else enjoy the ride! The car is amazing, and it will be for years to come!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny View Post
If you think you need the change, go ahead. Keep in mind your car still has a lot of life to it, and I feel you should keep enjoying it, not have someone else enjoy the ride! The car is amazing, and it will be for years to come!
I hear you on that one but I love that V10! I some how feel that the V10 is going to be like the M3 4 cylider in the near future. It will be hard to come by. Ever look at the price of a 1988 -89 M3? Its has become such a colletors item right now and the 4 cylinder in it is awesome in it's own right. Still love those cars. I have some time today so I wil ponder this decision further.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 650 Vert
Coug60:

You do have a dilemma; all this talk reminds me how much I miss my M5. That car was the bomb. When comparing the 650 to the M6, they are similar when just cruising around town; the big difference is when you get on it!! The V10 in the M cars puts you in rarified air, I'd call it a super car, or with a few mods it is. The sound and performance are addictive, and the paddle shifters with a little left foot braking put you as; one with the car.

The M6 lacks torque, and I found unless you get on it all the soccer moms in there SUVs pulled a head off the line (LOL). The SMG can be very herky jerky, which I never really enjoyed. Gas mileage, who cares when you’re having that much fun.

I agree with my fellow board members:

Db750 “Now the big difference; the motor. A high revving, NA, 5L V10 that revs to 8,250 RPMs and produces 500 HP and a glorious soundtrack. In the future to get a motor of these specs you will be buying Itallian and in the $100,000+ used price range. The power delivery is instantaneous. Almost like you are part of the car. The sound is intoxicating. It turns heads because people don't hear this type of sound often. This motor is reason enough to get this car.”

Roseng
“The SMG can be a problem but that's not the reason. It's more expensive to run but that's not the issue either. It's work, and you have to DRIVE IT every minute! Here's what I mean by that. It's more like the Italian sports cars. Most owners don't drive them to commute”.

Good luck, either way you got a nice ride!
2004 645Ci vert – Triple Black | Sport Package| Every Option | Gone
1995 Ferrari 348 Spider – Triple Black | 18” Speedlines | Tubi Exhaust | Gone
1987 Porsche 930 Slant Nose- Triple Black | Ruf wheels & Exhaust | Gone
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Coug60, I've been watching this thread from day one and have now decided to jump in. Here's all I will say........if you've never owned a ///M car you are missing a treat. And for all who might say it's the same car with a upgraded interior and a bigger motor, it's my guess they have never owned a ///M car. While I didn't have a M6 I did have a 650i and the only reason I didn't jump to the ///M6 ranks was the car felt too big. Now I've owned several BMW's and I will say without a doubt, the ///M cars have been the most enjoyable. The ///M6 will be more than just interior and motor......it will be an experience unmatched by any other BMW car you'll own. GL and keep us posted.......................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
Coug60, I've been watching this thread from day one and have now decided to jump in. Here's all I will say........if you've never owned a ///M car you are missing a treat. And for all who might say it's the same car with a upgraded interior and a bigger motor, it's my guess they have never owned a ///M car. While I didn't have a M6 I did have a 650i and the only reason I didn't jump to the ///M6 ranks was the car felt too big. Now I've owned several BMW's and I will say without a doubt, the ///M cars have been the most enjoyable. The ///M6 will be more than just interior and motor......it will be an experience unmatched by any other BMW car you'll own. GL and keep us posted.......................Phil
Very well said.
Here, just in case we forgot...
(Be sure to turn up those speakers)

Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM

I'm probably going to be on the fence for a while on this... I wish I could justify having both....
I just love my car so much... My 6 is the first car Ive truly enjoyed... Every drive is fun and exciting....

Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI, sport package
just go for the ///M. So far I haven't seen any legitimate reasons not to grab the ///M if you can afford it, and the benefits are abundant. Not only you have greater performance in all aspects, a superior interior, but from then on you wont just have other bimmer drivers staring at you, you'll have other 6 drivers staring at you lol. Plus, there's nothing like pulling up next an audi r8 with a supercar pricetag and having the driver look over and wish he was in your car. (This has only ever happened to me in my supra when he could hear my blowoffs jetting over the angry grumble of my exhaust. )