Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
95 M3 for $5500?

OK so please know that I am a huge beginner at BMW's and working on cars all together.

I have a huge interest in purchasing a BMW 95 M3.
I have found a local owner who listed the M3 for $5500.
There is after market parts on it and he mentioned it needs a few things.

My questions; Is this a smart buy? and Can I ,as a beginner to cars ,fix it on my own?

The after market parts are as follows: ODB1 engine says the original one blew head gasket and just replaced it with another engine from a totaled M3
there is other parts after market but nothing that effects the engine.. lights and spoiler and cd player.

It also needs a AC compressor, front control arms, a windshield( current one is cracked) , 1 tire, fog lights, new seats, and a few censors but the owner mentions these do not effect the engine at all.
I really want to know if I should go ahead and contact him or just move on.
Are these things easy to fix or cheap?

Thank you for your replies
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Read this.

Then read this.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
No harm in contacting or even looking at the vehicle, give it a shot. BTW I wouldn't look at replacing the motor as an aftermarket part but as a used engine.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
ok well i am going to apologize for my instant ignorance and not looking for a quick maintenance thread. Thank you for the links they were very informative.
I guess I will have to look at this M3 and go from there.
I am going to post another thread soon about the OBD1 engine. the threads that I just read constantly say "E36"... I have not searched for it yet, but I am assuming that there is some sort of a difference in these engines. So If you have another quick link or a quick answer that would be great, if not just look for my post and I will try my best to remember the etiquette for posting.
thanks again from both of you
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 128i ///M Sports Pkg
Before the older, crankier (read wiser) guys get here:

How old are you?
How many cars have you had, and how much experience mechanically (it sounds like nearly none on the mechanical part)?
Finally, what's your income?

The short answer is that BMW's don't have to be money pits, but they're not exactly Honda cheap to run. If my guess (from your context) is that this is your first car, DON'T DO IT! Not that BMW's are altogether bad for first cars, but this is a nearly 20 (twenty!) year old example that doesn't sound like it's exactly pristine. An M-car, at that. If this is your first car, really sorry to say it but I'd recommend you pick something cheaper and more reliable to run.

Now, if my assumption is totally off, then I do apologize and would gladly hear you clarify. And do what petriej said: read the FAQ's + stickies, search when you can, and respect the old guys
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
unless you love working on cars and have money to blow I'd steer clear
Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i
It may be a fair price depending on the mileage but you should get something cheaper and more reliable if it's your first car. Plus, if you're young, realistically, you have a higher chance of wrecking it and leaving the rest of us with one less M3 to buy later
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldawg View Post
ok well i am going to apologize for my instant ignorance and not looking for a quick maintenance thread. Thank you for the links they were very informative.
I guess I will have to look at this M3 and go from there.
I am going to post another thread soon about the OBD1 engine. the threads that I just read constantly say "E36"... I have not searched for it yet, but I am assuming that there is some sort of a difference in these engines. So If you have another quick link or a quick answer that would be great, if not just look for my post and I will try my best to remember the etiquette for posting.
thanks again from both of you
All 95's are OBD1....

Is the motor an s52 that was converted to OBD1 or an S50?

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3(sold) 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5(sold)

-2000 F250 V10
-2004 GMC Yukon Denali

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....