Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 540ii 4.4 6sp sprt wagon
Smile almost overwhelmed

Hi,
i am new to this thread and from what ive read... most say why dont you just sell ur 528i and buy a 540i.. but its too late for me and im poor not rich. i own a 2000 528i sport wagon..it had a l6 in it with a blown head gasket... after getting in to it.. i found a couple block head bolts stripped.. so i time serted every hole.. had the head serviced.. all new exhaust valves..got it back together drove it atleast 300 miles with no problems but had trouble codes to try and fix for a smog. then i was getting on the freeway and the fan came apart dented my hood on a almost perfect body and then it always wanted to get hot on me...i bought a 675 dollar all aluminum radiator and reservoir... electric fan setup and then what i found out is the block was warped.. then i bought a wrecked 1998 540i sedan 4.4 6sp manuel trans and put the rear and front suspension, driveline, transaxle, rear cv shafts motor and trans in my 528i .... so mechanically its all sound. but i know that i was going to have to put the neutral safety switch in and i thought i should put the instrument panel in also BUT there are only two plugs on the auto panel and three on the manuel panel. So i fished out all the wires to the three plugs on the harness of the 540i.... boy was that fun.... so my question is the two plugs have alot of the same exact color wires.... can i assume that they are the same and just put them in the same respective spots that they were in the three plug setup???... i know i will still have more to put all the way in.. like to the grounding distribution blocks and some other special spots... and i still plan on taking it to the dealer to have the instrument panel made all warm and fuzzy but wow this thing is more like a computer than a car... or if anyone has done this and has time to help me i will pay them what i would have to pay the dealer... i live in San Miguel calif... i bought two big ass service manuals 130.00 but im not very good at reading the electrical diagrams... any help is appreciated... thanks Stan
Ads by Google
Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Pictures are your friend.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
Boy that's a lot for your first post.
BMWCCA#401441
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
BMW's cost a small fortune to own.

Those with shallow pockets shouldn't even consider one in the condition you got yours in.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmiguel View Post
Hi,
i am new to this thread and from what ive read... most say why dont you just sell ur 528i and buy a 540i.. but its too late for me and im poor not rich. i own a 2000 528i sport wagon..it had a l6 in it with a blown head gasket... after getting in to it.. i found a couple block head bolts stripped.. so i time serted every hole.. had the head serviced.. all new exhaust valves..got it back together drove it atleast 300 miles with no problems but had trouble codes to try and fix for a smog. then i was getting on the freeway and the fan came apart dented my hood on a almost perfect body and then it always wanted to get hot on me...i bought a 675 dollar all aluminum radiator and reservoir... electric fan setup and then what i found out is the block was warped.. then i bought a wrecked 1998 540i sedan 4.4 6sp manuel trans and put the rear and front suspension, driveline, transaxle, rear cv shafts motor and trans in my 528i .... so mechanically its all sound. but i know that i was going to have to put the neutral safety switch in and i thought i should put the instrument panel in also BUT there are only two plugs on the auto panel and three on the manuel panel. So i fished out all the wires to the three plugs on the harness of the 540i.... boy was that fun.... so my question is the two plugs have alot of the same exact color wires.... can i assume that they are the same and just put them in the same respective spots that they were in the three plug setup???... i know i will still have more to put all the way in.. like to the grounding distribution blocks and some other special spots... and i still plan on taking it to the dealer to have the instrument panel made all warm and fuzzy but wow this thing is more like a computer than a car... or if anyone has done this and has time to help me i will pay them what i would have to pay the dealer... i live in San Miguel calif... i bought two big ass service manuals 130.00 but im not very good at reading the electrical diagrams... any help is appreciated... thanks Stan

Im not totally poor ... i own a house or two but i cant just go out and buy a brand new BMW but you cant blame me for trying to own one.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM

so thats it....... pictures are your friends........
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM

thanks Shaftdrive... cool forum..

Last edited by stanmiguel; 05-10-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
If you're unable to master the electrical diagrams in the manual, you'll need to surrender the car to a BMW mechanic to sort out.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 AM

im getting it ... its just a slow process. and alot of work... i got my whole dash out of my car.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:59 PM

how about an answer to the question i had...
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmiguel View Post
how about an answer to the question i had...
I couldn't get through the OP's opening paragraph.

I suggest the OP rephrase the question.

You'll find wonderful answers, if you take the time to ask in a way that doesn't tax the reader.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 05-14-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Stan....

I love a challenge but you sit are a gutsy guy .

The answer to your question lays in the electrical diagrams. Unfortunately there are no short cut answers.. You must work your way through the manuals diagrams to get the answers.

Good Luck .... You have your work cut out for you , but you'll get it .
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: .
Stan I'm too challenged by your project to even fathom trying to offer a word of help but it sounds like you are already miles ahead of most DIY wrenchers here in terms of what you are trying to do.

You might consider starting a thread with the title "Putting 540 engine into 528 body, what electricals need to be swapped?" That way, you'll likely attract help from some of the veterans that have been down this road or that have a better idea of what to do.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
Did you put the front suspention and motor of a 540 into a 528 right in or you changed the front subframe for all to fit? And i think the 2 plug bored is for the low cluster and the 3 plug is for the high cluster with OBC setup.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39
from what I understand you will need new (used) instrument cluster from HIGH OBC e39. that has 3 plugs on back. pre 1999 ones with separate cpu unit on back can be recoded(change vin etc.) easy with pasoft.
http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/71725-...-and-pictures/

Last edited by Jynger; 05-13-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
You might consider starting a thread with the title "Putting 540 engine into 528 body, what electricals need to be swapped?" .
Ah, so that's the question!

For that, I can't help ... but ... I can point to somewhat similar threads where the OP might find others who have performed the same or similar task ...

Gimme a sec to search the bestlinks for 'engine swaps' ... ah, found a few:

- What engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM

For the wiring diagrams, typing /wiring diagram in the best links nets these references:
- Where to find an E39 wiring diagram specific to your model (1) (2) (3) (4) & understanding European wiring diagrams (pdf) & where to find all E39 fuse boxes (1) (2)

As for the cluster replacement, tons of pictures with the connectors showing are to be found by typing /cluster in the best links, for example:
- How to remove the E39 instrument cluster (1) (2) & how to retrofit an E39 from the low obc to the high obc (pdf)

Note: That PDF above shows all the connectors in the cluster in about a dozen or more diagrams (here's just one):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cluster.png
Views:	292
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	376194  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM

thank you for your replys and to Mjalloul11... yes i put the transaxle, rear cv axles, drive line, 6sp trans, front suspension, and the 4.4 engine in my 528i sport wagon