Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI, sport package
So I had to send her in today :(

So today I had to drop my poor 6er off at my indie as she's sick. I'm not SURE of what's going on but I suspect electrical/ecu issues. I shall tell you my story.

Was headed home from the gym yesterday, cruising at about 30 when the 6 throws up an ABS warning. I cringe and say "Oh no." Almost immediatly after that she tosses me an SMG malfunction warning, followed right after by a power steering warning. Almost twenty feet down the road my MPH and RPM gauges start to fluctuate almost violently. Stuttering/shaking and swinging between ranges erratically and drastically.

To my credit I don't freak out. I do pretty well maintaining my car and while its possible that all these things could go wrong one after the other and are mechanically related, it's not that likely. More likely, I suspect either an electrical connection issue or an ECU issue.

I feel somewhat vindicated in my suspicions when I pulled over into a gas station (Discovering that yes, my power steering is out) and threw her in park, leaving her running. After popping the hood Everything seems alright. Obviously ABS and power steering wouldn't throw me too many clues in the engine bay but With everything seemingly going nuts on my vehicle, couped with the erratice gauges (Which were not accomanied by matching sounds from the engine which essentially ran smoothly.)
I would've expected there to be at least SOME trace evidence here.

After that, I get back in and shut her down. I try to start her again but All I get is a click from the engine bay, the same error codes I'd just recieved and some wonky screen activity on both my I-drive screen and my info LED in addition to warning lights coming on or going off seemingly at random. I notice a clicking from the rear AND front when I attempt to ignite and after having a friend turn the key while I stick my head in the trunk. The sound is obviously coming from my ECU. I didn't pull any fuses, nor did I smell the tell tale odor of burnt fuse (Though that doesn't mean there aren't any).

Long story short, I have her towed to my nearest indy and tell them t what I've just told all of you. The woman at the counter, who seemed compitent, related that, either my car is extremely f*&$ed up or that it's an electrical connection issue. They assured me that they would have the problem identified by mid-day this monday.

My car is, covered under AUTOPOM's warranty. If it's just that my bat is old and dead (which may be as the battery is old, though hasn't shown the random code symptom that my last battery and others with old batteries did.) Autopom obviously won't cover it but I'll happily pay the cash for a new one.

So, fellow 6 drivers. Am I completely off in my suspicions that it's ECU or possibly battery related? Has anyone had an experience like this and might pass on some words of wisdom (or hope )?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: '04 645csi
My guess is it's the battery.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
These are pretty standard symptoms of an electrical problem, either battery or alternator. I used to say just battery, but as these cars have gotten older more alternators have been reported as being the culprit. Of course it could always be something much worse, that is why testing is key.

When the power system starts to fail all the systems go haywire! ABS, dynamic drive, tranny, all kinds of errors will pop up. The lucky ones are when it fails quickly and dramatically so all you get is the car-is-dead.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Most likely the battery or alternator, or both? I would also inspect the IBS at the battery connection.

Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Ok awesome. Thanks guys. This is really reassuring. My car is sitting pretty with almost 146,000 on the odo. Alternator was replaced at 50,000 along with the battery which I swapped out again at 100k miles. I only have a few pics right now but I'll post them when I get to my computer
And update when I find out more.

If its something new, I'll put on here what the mechanics tell me about what I could have done to avoid it.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Based on your previous post, read the thread below. Purchase the tools & learn to diagnose the problems yourself. This will save you a ton of money!

Good Reading!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678446
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Based on your previous post, read the thread below. Purchase the tools & learn to diagnose the problems yourself. This will save you a ton of money!

Good Reading!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=678446
I have this stuff actually. But my car was about thirty miles from my house and in...well let's say a not-so-nice part of town so I wasn't goin to leave her there. I could have had her towed to my place but they would've charged me a lot more as its almost double the distance to where I live compared to my Indy's location which Autopom covered. Plus if I HAD taken her home and it was something I couldn't fix then I'd have had I have her towed again which would've been 45 miles and not covered by Autopom (they only cover one tow every seven days) so i sent her to the doc's instead.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier-ina-6er View Post
I have this stuff actually. But my car was about thirty miles from my house and in...well let's say a not-so-nice part of town so I wasn't goin to leave her there. I could have had her towed to my place but they would've charged me a lot more as its almost double the distance to where I live compared to my Indy's location which Autopom covered. Plus if I HAD taken her home and it was something I couldn't fix then I'd have had I have her towed again which would've been 45 miles and not covered by Autopom (they only cover one tow every seven days) so i sent her to the doc's instead.
I've had good experience with Autopom so if they'll pay get your money's worth.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I've had good experience with Autopom so if they'll pay get your money's worth.
So far they've been nothing but helpful insofar as making sure they covered the TOW completely and advising me on how to go through the claim, reclarifying what they cover, etc. My entire electrical system is covered and, from the symptoms, it seems like its almost definitely an electrical issue so I'm hopeful.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
So I had to send her in today :(

I had a similar experience. It was the alternator in my case.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
I had a similar experience. It was the alternator in my case.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'll keep that in mind. Autopom is sending a red today to inspect the car and figure out whats covered and whats not ( I had also brought up a slow oil/coolant leak and a minor creaking in my suspension ) so hopefully by today I'll know what's going on more. I really hope my cars up by this weekend but we'll see if that's even viable.