Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by King 5 View Post
Ahh good observation! Maybe the PO didn't like the sport seats and had them swapped for comfort/heated
Nope. I believe the sport seats were never standard on the Sport models. I believe they were always an option.

2002 530i Sport Package 5-speed
Style 42s for summer
Style 29s for winter
CDV delete
Skibag retrofit
G.A.S. DISA Valve Repair Kit
G.A.S. 1.2 Bar Expansion Tank Cap
Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
No hydrolock, thats practically unheard of. At worse you've got a cracked head or HG. Used motor way overpriced compared to repair. Cylinder heads can be reliably repaired for $800 including 2 way shipping.

You are probably dealing with coolant loss caused by the cracked thermostat housing. The no start is probably something else like the fuel pump. If you deternine its only these after the repair, you should give your boss another $600 or something as an unsolicited goodwill gesture.

Last edited by allenbee; 05-08-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Banned

Would be a very good idea to send off a small sample of the tranny fluid to the lab for analysis. Its not expensive at all and will tell you alot about the state of the transmission. The mileage is too high you might be in rebuild territory.

Drawing out tranny fluid is tough to do without lifting up the car. There is another way simple way though to do this without a lift. Remove the radiator and carefully tip the excess oil in the tranny cooling chamber into a plastic cup. The excess oil that spills out from the tranny cooling pipes alone is probably too little for sampling purposes.

Come to think of it, you don't need to remove the radiator. Remove the fan, shroud, top rad hose, and the top tranny cooling pipe. Then hold a cup right under the nut for the bottom tranny cooling pipe after loosening it (and cleaning off the area first), then pull out the lower pipe quickly. About 20-30 ccs of fluid will spill out immediately. Enough for the analysis. If you miss that then no point in removing and tipping out the radiator either, the fluid is lost.

Last edited by allenbee; 05-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by King 5 View Post
Ahh good observation! Maybe the PO didn't like the sport seats and had them swapped for comfort/heated

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No sport seats in my 2000 M-sport 528, same as in the picture- I've only seen them on the 540 M-Sport that year, and later 530 sport models. Doesn't matter to me, I love my standard seats.

As for the OP's red car, which looks awesome by the way, I deduce that if it's blowing anything out of the exhaust that it turns over, therefore if it turns over and doesn't start it could be a fuel delivery issue, something to do with the pump/filter/relay. If you don't hear the fuel pump making noise when you turn the key to the on position, a good way of checking to see if fuel is getting to the cylinders is to pull a spark plug after cranking the engine over a few times. Look at the plug and see if it's wet with gas, if not, it could be something with the fuel system. Like Allenbee said, you may not even have a bad head gasket and the coolant loss could be just from the thermostat housing being cracked.

To my knowledge, if it's turning over at all it's not hydrolocked, but feel free for anyone to correct me if that is not true. It could just be condensation in the exhaust since it's been sitting for so long.

Good luck! I'd buy that car for $600, the style 5's on it alone will fetch twice that.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed

Last edited by DPP528; 05-08-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPP528 View Post
Good luck! I'd buy that car for $600, the style 5's on it alone will fetch twice that.
OP, my two cents, I think you should be fair to your boss, he clearly does not know the worth of his own car. If the cooling system's repair, anticipatory repair and servicing, transmission and other issues cost waay less than it could have, please cut him a small check.

Unless his offer to you is his way of cutting you a check for stuff you deserve.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 00' Imola Red 528i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbee View Post
OP, my two cents, I think you should be fair to your boss, he clearly does not know the worth of his own car. If the cooling system's repair, anticipatory repair and servicing, transmission and other issues cost waay less than it could have, please cut him a small check.

Unless his offer to you is his way of cutting you a check for stuff you deserve.
My boss is a great guy, fun to work with. As it turns out it was his fathers car and he dumped it in our lot and said take it to the scrap yard, sell it, keep it I don't care. But if I get it rolling again I will defently offer him something

I am certain the engine is not Hydro locked but it does have water in it, so I will drain that befor I even think about trying to get it to turn over
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
Nope. I believe the sport seats were never standard on the Sport models. I believe they were always an option.
They were optional on the '99-'00 528i and 540iA. They were standard on the 99-00 540i 6 speed.

In 2001, they were not available on the new 525i. They were optional on the 530i. They were included in the 540iA sport package. They were standard on the 540i 6 speed.

For 2002 and 2003 they were included in the sport package for the 525, 530 and 540. They were standard on the 540i 6 speed.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i Sport 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansFan View Post
For 2002 and 2003 they were included in the sport package for the 525, 530 and 540. They were standard on the 540i 6 speed.
That's weird. I have a 2002 530i Sport Package with non-sport seats. Maybe it's slightly different up here in Canada?

2002 530i Sport Package 5-speed
Style 42s for summer
Style 29s for winter
CDV delete
Skibag retrofit
G.A.S. DISA Valve Repair Kit
G.A.S. 1.2 Bar Expansion Tank Cap
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 5301
What! $600 have you bought it yet, if not you should b4 someone else snaps it up. whatever the problem is it is still a car worth investing in by the looks of the pic you posted.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52, 03 530i
If water is coming out the exhaust, then it is very likely to have been severely overheated and ruined both the block and the head. The aluminum block inline 6 BMW engines have a tendency to pull the head studs out of the block when severely overheated and this is not worth repairing. You should assume the worst and plan on finding an engine and tranny to swap in. That said, it is still a steal at $600. As others have said, the Sport Model is not that common and this one is still in good cosmetic condition. You should expect that the front struts and shocks are toast at 200K miles and the Sport Suspension factory replacements are expensive. I am installing Koni shocks and struts in my 03 Sport model because they are actually priced lower than the OEM parts. Still not cheap but a better value IMO. The Style 5 wheels if not corroded, are worth somewhere between $600-1000 on Ebay if you find the right buyer. It depends on condition. This car also makes a great candidate for an LSx engine swap at that price. There are several threads on here showing the details to swap a late model GM LSx engine into and E39. If you have the time and desire to learn the skills, this might be an option for you. That is what I would do with a $600 body shell in great condition.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Just the can of Dew alone makes it worth 600 bucks.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda185 View Post
If water is coming out the exhaust, then it is very likely to have been severely overheated and ruined both the block and the head. The aluminum block inline 6 BMW engines have a tendency to pull the head studs out of the block when severely overheated and this is not worth repairing. You should assume the worst and plan on finding an engine and tranny to swap in. That said, it is still a steal at $600. As others have said, the Sport Model is not that common and this one is still in good cosmetic condition. You should expect that the front struts and shocks are toast at 200K miles and the Sport Suspension factory replacements are expensive. I am installing Koni shocks and struts in my 03 Sport model because they are actually priced lower than the OEM parts. Still not cheap but a better value IMO. The Style 5 wheels if not corroded, are worth somewhere between $600-1000 on Ebay if you find the right buyer. It depends on condition. This car also makes a great candidate for an LSx engine swap at that price. There are several threads on here showing the details to swap a late model GM LSx engine into and E39. If you have the time and desire to learn the skills, this might be an option for you. That is what I would do with a $600 body shell in great condition.
the suspension has been maintained and most of it now is aftermarket.

the wheels are not in the best condition but thats fine with me, i dont want them anyways. ill sell them for pretty much anything i can get for them as i have full intentions of putting some black after market rims on it.

THREAD UPDATE
a random customer walked into the store yesterday with $600 in their hand and wanted to leave with the car. my boss told them that he already had a buyer but thanks for their buisness. So that means that i must either buy it or find another buyer.

i talked to my dad last night, he said he will try to give me the money Monday and we'll take it home. (and hes even letting my pay to get it fixed before i pay him) i hope all goes well with it
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFuzz 26 View Post
the suspension has been maintained and most of it now is aftermarket.

the wheels are not in the best condition but thats fine with me, i dont want them anyways. ill sell them for pretty much anything i can get for them as i have full intentions of putting some black after market rims on it.

THREAD UPDATE
a random customer walked into the store yesterday with $600 in their hand and wanted to leave with the car. my boss told them that he already had a buyer but thanks for their buisness. So that means that i must either buy it or find another buyer.

i talked to my dad last night, he said he will try to give me the money Monday and we'll take it home. (and hes even letting my pay to get it fixed before i pay him) i hope all goes well with it
I PM'd you on 05/08 regarding the wheels - let me know when you get those pics to me - thx

2003 530iA Alpine White on Tan - SP, PP, Auto - SOLD
Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
My son had a 2000 528 that overheated and blew the head gasket (or cracked the head). I have a 97 528 with 255K miles on it and have done most of the work on it myself but I was afraid to take on the repair of my son's car mainly due to the double VANOS and potential for problems with stripping the threads of the head bolt on the aluminum block. The VANOS requires special tools. We sold the car locally to a mechanic who has worked on many cars with variable cam shaft timing for 1500$. The car only had 130K miles on it but it was in no better condition than this car looks. Unless you have a friend that can work on the variable timing and install inserts in the block, i wouldn't buy this car. Replacing the engine is even harder and requires more tools, experience, and patience. Your decision but look up the threads on double VANOS repair and engine replacement. Because you can't test drive it, you won't know anything about the trans, wheel bearins, suspension, etc. These are great cars but if my head gasket goes right now (with 255K miles), it's salvage.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
Let me see if I understand. After you give your boss $600 can you just pick off the wheels and other odds and ends and take them away and put them on ebay and leave the carcass there in your boss's parking lot to rot? If you can't I would stay away.
BMWCCA#401441
Old 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
That's weird. I have a 2002 530i Sport Package with non-sport seats. Maybe it's slightly different up here in Canada?
I should have indicated that this information was from the US brochures. There is a possibility that they were changed by someone over the life of the car, or the original owner upgraded from the 10 way sport seats to the 12 or 16 way seats.

You could verify this by checking the VIN on

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM

Here is an up close view of the style 5's

Not in the best condition, I'm not sure why. Only thing in the car not in great condition
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM

im going tomorrow to pick it up, i guess i will start taking it apart and see what is wrong with it
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
im going tomorrow to pick it up, i guess i will start taking it apart and see what is wrong with it
should I assume the wheels deal is dead?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansFan View Post
I should have indicated that this information was from the US brochures. There is a possibility that they were changed by someone over the life of the car, or the original owner upgraded from the 10 way sport seats to the 12 or 16 way seats.

You could verify this by checking the VIN on

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
It was possible to order the Sport package in 2001-2003 and elect to have the comfort seats instead of the sport seats. I don't know if the sport seats were an extra cost option to the Sport package or if they were an item you deleted to get the comfort seats. I can tell you I found a more than 20 528i/530i Sport models without the sport seats in my search for a 530i 5spd Sport model so this must not have been that unusual. Most were automatics. Mine has the sport seats. I can't do without the movable thigh bolster. It makes long drives much more comfortable for me.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think you can lose on this deal unless you have to pay someone to fix it. If you can do the work, this is a car worth saving. The wheels typically corrode where yours have on the rim. The clear coat does not hold up well and some think water gets in behind the centers and starts the corrosion process from there. They aren't worth much in that condition. There are multiple threads on refinishing them if you are inclined to do it. If you are just going to break the car, don't do it expecting to get a lot for the wheels. Good luck with it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio_e46 View Post
should I assume the wheels deal is dead?
im still willing to sell them, but i have to get replacements first
Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
im still willing to sell them, but i have to get replacements first
Great - can you reply to my PM with your answer/decision? thx again

Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Hey guys, I am a regular on a lot of car audio forums and I work at a car audio shop. (I am currently building a vehicle in which to compete with)

My boss has a 2000 BMW 528i for sale, it's a bit old but it has been well maintained. It has 200,000 miles, however these are highway miles to and from work 50 miles away each day. It was garage kept and had regular oil changes. The vehicle began running hot and malfunctioning so it has been sitting in the parking lot since October. It did run before winter

Now is where the problems lie, before winter he attempted to put antifreeze in the coolent system (which was rather difficult with a cracked thermostat housing) he went out about two weeks ago to start it and see how it's doing after sitting for 6 months. It will not start and it blows water out of the exhaust.

He told me I can have it for $600 (the paint is near flawless and the interior is In fine condition)
I had a buddy come and look at it, and he said that those cars are well known to have cooling problems and run hot. He believes it is a warped head or maybe a bad gasket. Although I won't know untill I get a chance to take it apart.

Is this a good buy? I mean, I really like the car and am willing to put some money in it to get it on the road again. Could you guys talk me through the repairs? Help troubleshoot problems?

I am looking forward to your replys

P.S. I must add i am planning on doing the work my self (the most invasive thing i have ever done to an engine is change the oil) however a have a few friends that are car guys and are willing to help... but none of them have any experience with a BMW. i have intentions of referring to the forum with questions, and picking up the repair manual online
"Now is where the problems lie" IS the problem. You can even spell coolant. I'd take the $600 MINIMUM and pay for a course at your nearest junior college (or graduate high school) and learn to speak and spell like you belong behind the wheel of a BMW. I guess you think installing stereos is going to finance your family, huh? It's all a matter of priorities.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
"Now is where the problems lie" IS the problem. You can even spell coolant. I'd take the $600 MINIMUM and pay for a course at your nearest junior college (or graduate high school) and learn to speak and spell like you belong behind the wheel of a BMW. I guess you think installing stereos is going to finance your family, huh? It's all a matter of priorities.
i post from an iphone. i didnt come this forum to be hassled over nit-picky sh1t by a "tuff guy" internet bully

i am a car audio installer as i am currently in highschool, i am certified to stick and mig weld in all positions. so yes, i have a trade that will easily finance my family. i am currently an explorer for the Bardstown Police Dept. and will be recruited upon reaching the age of 21. not to mention my participation in the volunteer Fire department, and awaiting medical clearence from the Kentucky Army National Guard

so thats the personal rundown on me, now back the the subject of the BMW

Last edited by FutureFuzz 26; 05-17-2013 at 09:31 AM.