Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Do you maintain your x5 e53 yourself?...Your experience appreciated!

Good luck Scott

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Good luck Scott

Luck has nothing to do with it, but thanks.

In all seriousness, if you have a copy of the TIS and/or a Bentley manual, you're more than halfway there. I also have an EBA CD (all the "retrofit" kits and instructions).

Toss in the DIYs from others who have BTDT and just about anything is within your grasp. A good set of tools is also assumed.

On the E46 forum, I was the first to figure out how to retrofit factory bi-xenon lights into an E46 3-series. All of the dealers said it couldn't be done and made up excuses. It took several hours to decipher to pin layout on the LCM, but once that was sorted, it was an easy DIY.

It's just a machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
From all the arguments it shows that world is full of grey areas, remind me of pro-life vs pro-choice both sides presented good arguments but alot of the debates is fuelled by looking at the issue in an extreme.

Same here, I consider myself DIYer guy but also agree rebuilding engine or transmission is probably best left to competent shop (dealer for example).
But in BMW many things is DIY candidate, I've done WP, thermostat, plugs, all kind fluid flush, suspension work, valve-cover gaskets, oil-separator etc etc etc.
At the end, it's how much money and time you are willing to trade not the dificulty of the jobs. I guess my boss don't think my weekend is worth $150/hr so I roll my sleeve and earn it in my garage (not the office)

PS: that $150 is after tax dollar money BTW.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
BMW X5 Owner

I have recently purchased a 2001 E53 X5 4.4i. I would recommend that if you are new to the BMW family that you take your vehicle to an auto shop that deal strictly with BMW's for your initial service. I would never recommend the dealer unless your vehicle is under warranty. I found a local shop that charges $84 per hour to service your vehicle and then they give you a print out of all the suggested repairs. Now here is where I go a little different from some; I have a trusted mechanic who has worked on all my vehicles and when I took it to him for the suggested repairs he took one look and said the exact same things that the BMW tech had told me with the exception of cost, instead of $600 for a part he told me to buy my own (brand new) for 1/3rd the cost and instead of paying $300 to replace the part, he charged me $80. So I am not against going to a BMW service place for your diagnostic work but you had better have someone you trust who is a certified mechanic do the work for you...yes you have to do the leg work on finding your parts but to pay $300 for a $900 BMW shop cost is a no brainer. If you can do the work yourself even better but I do not paying a professional to do what I don't want to attempt. Also since I use Amsoil for my oil changes my mechanic charges $10 to replace the filter & drain the oil.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Do you maintain your x5 e53 yourself?...Your experience appreciated!

I do have the Bentley manual, only for referral and as information, not as a guide to repair. I still wouldn't touch my BMW, particularly not at this stage of its life, as it is still relatively young - only in its 7th year and has done 73000kms.