Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 525iT
A miracle

Thanks to God first and many thanks to everyone who helped. MY BEEMER IS RUNNING AGAIN !!! Not only is it running again, it's running better than ever. The BOSCH performance chip has really improved acceleration. God Bless you all !!!
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Great news

Could you give us a short Cliff notes review in this one post so we can see what you went through and what resoved your problem(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
It always good to hear when those who come to us for help get their cars running correctly.

Keep us posted on how she does.

(thumbs up with purpose)

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 525iT
I don't really know exactly what one thing got it to finally start. This is after 2 "professional" mechanics gave up. My friend Rich and I followed a list of common and uncommon possible faults listed on the Forum. First thing we tried was a Bosch performance/EWS delete chip and did some cutting and splicing of wires, nothing. Then we checked the crank position sensor(real easy to get to(HA, HA) it read on the low side so we switched that out., still nothing. Next we switched out the DME to a red label.. still nothing. The car was cranking, but still wouldn't start. At this point the frustration level was getting to both of us. I'm a Christian, but I let go with a tirade of curses that would make a drunken sailor proud. We decided to take a break and an idea popped into my head like a divine intervention. I had forgotten that I bought a new fuel pump relay, so I told my buddy, let's try this last thing, if it doesn't start we're done. Then the MIRACLE..........IT Started right up. Much thanks to a great guy named Mike from Autohauz in Arizona. If any of you need a part, call him up. I had never encountered such a GENTLEMAN in my life. I can't say enough about him. That's the SKINNY !!!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M52 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by theenforcer View Post
I don't really know exactly what one thing got it to finally start. This is after 2 "professional" mechanics gave up. My friend Rich and I followed a list of common and uncommon possible faults listed on the Forum. First thing we tried was a Bosch performance/EWS delete chip and did some cutting and splicing of wires, nothing. Then we checked the crank position sensor(real easy to get to(HA, HA) it read on the low side so we switched that out., still nothing. Next we switched out the DME to a red label.. still nothing. The car was cranking, but still wouldn't start. At this point the frustration level was getting to both of us. I'm a Christian, but I let go with a tirade of curses that would make a drunken sailor proud. We decided to take a break and an idea popped into my head like a divine intervention. I had forgotten that I bought a new fuel pump relay, so I told my buddy, let's try this last thing, if it doesn't start we're done. Then the MIRACLE..........IT Started right up. Much thanks to a great guy named Mike from Autohauz in Arizona. If any of you need a part, call him up. I had never encountered such a GENTLEMAN in my life. I can't say enough about him. That's the SKINNY !!!

It is pretty clear what is the one thing that got it. The fuel pump relay. And checking for spark and fuel is something all mechanics even dumb ones will do first its the bread and butter. You had 2 mechanics ? You've had some rotten luck for sure.

Your earlier thread refers :

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenforcer View Post
First I'd like to say thanks for all the replies. We've finally got the car to crank, but still it won't start. Checked the CPS and it about 470-480. It's on the low end of acceptable if 540 is perfect. I have a new one that should arrive tomorrow. I also noticed that all of a sudden the interior lights are not functioning with the driver's door open and the door locks are also not working. I put my key in the door and nothing happens. I can't even force the lock to push down. Could it be that the door has a bad door switch?? By the way, the fuel pump is operational, we can hear it come on. I LOVE this car and don't want to scrap it. Please help and thank you all in advance.......................Jim

It sounds like you had more than one no-start problem going on. Both your crankshaft sensor and your fuel pump relay. And you said here that your fuel pump was whirring. That can't happen if the pump relay is screwed.

The only other possibility is your relay socket's contacts are corroded or loose. You get intermittent current. Doesn't sound like it though.

Glad that you're running after so long. And wonderful that Autohausz Mike was able to GUIDE you to FIX your car. Finally, someone who knows E34s. Could you post his office number ? The mod might put that in the stickies for future reference. Lets give credit where credit is due!

And very glad that you're running better than before all this happened. Great to always turn a repair into an upgrade, wherever possible.

Last edited by Mamij; 05-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: E34
Sounds like the OP had a no crank issue at first too.

Could you post a link to the Bosch delete chip you used ? Sounds too kewl.

Last edited by PlasmaE34; 05-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: A miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamij View Post
It is pretty clear what is the one thing that got it. The fuel pump relay. And checking for spark and fuel is something all mechanics even dumb ones will do first its the bread and butter. You had 2 mechanics ? You've had some rotten luck for sure.

Your earlier thread refers :

It sounds like you had more than one no-start problem going on. Both your crankshaft sensor and your fuel pump relay. And you said here that your fuel pump was whirring. That can't happen if the pump relay is screwed.

The only other possibility is your relay socket's contacts are corroded or loose. You get intermittent current. Doesn't sound like it though.

Glad that you're running after so long. And wonderful that Autohausz Mike was able to GUIDE you to FIX your car. Finally, someone who knows E34s. Could you post his office number ? The mod might put that in the stickies for future reference. Lets give credit where credit is due!

And very glad that you're running better than before all this happened. Great to always turn a repair into an upgrade, wherever possible.
You're back again & its obvious its you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M52 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmnmsclM540i View Post
You're back again & its obvious its you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you too.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Congrats on getting the BMW running again. If you want to keep that car you got to start wrenching on it. If you are still looking for a factory CD changer for your car I have one forsale.

Last edited by upallnight; 05-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.