Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
Start up issue

2004 X5 E53 N62 115K miles

Hello, Lets see who can help me out.

I have the dreaded P0300, Random Misfire, with blinking red SES light.

Ill tell you my story, I had the car out of service for 6 weeks maybe more.... change the valve covers, upper timing covers, stem seals and all.... re-timed it perfectly. (Im not getting any out of timing issues.

So far I have checked all the vacuum lines, and and all the connectors, no issues. I even sprayed it down with carb cleaner, and I didnt see any reving, so im pretty sure its not a vacuum leak.

My next guess is that it could be the fuel filter. Anyone ever check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail? Its supposed to be at 3.5 bars. What tool and where did people get it from?

I did dump 1/2 a can of Seafoam into the tank, Im thinking it could have gummed up the fuel filter.

The other option is I could disconnect the Mass air flow sensor ans see how it runs.... not sure how it will run with it dosconnected, but if it cures the P0300 problem then I might have isolated the MAF.

Okay what is everyones thoughts?

Its not a ignition problem, as it is Random.... Im getting INPA this week, hopefully that will give me more info on what the issue is.... I pretty much know the N62 like the back of my hand...... I can change out a vc and upper timing cover is 2.5 hrs now (single side)!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what may be my problem.....
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
Start up issue

So I ran inpa an it is cylinders 1-4 that are misfiring.... Those were the ones that were running fine before... Weird... I'll check the grounds...I get a strong fuel smell from the exhaust so I'm thinking its not fuel related....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2013, 04:03 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Did you end up figuring this out? I saw another thread where bmwoem1 was saying it could be related to cam timing

I am swapping out valve seals soon, so I wanted to see what you did wrong in the beginning and what you did to fix it..