Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
New E38 Owner

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a '99 740iL the other day to be a project car. I've always wanted one and had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do with it, but either the time wasn't right or I couldn't find the right one at the right price.

I picked up this two-owner example with 155k miles on Friday. The guy had been asking $4500 for it at the beginning of the year but I went to see it (about 90 minutes from me) and it had a bunch of issues - center link was shot, valve covers were leaking, just about every door/console compartment didn't close/open, fog lights cracked, tires were bald, radiator was leaking etc. Transmission and diff were good and dry, and it had a black interior which was something I was looking for. Body was also straight and had no major defects. But I told him no thanks as he didn't want to negotiate on price. Anyway, he had it listed on CL for about 6 months and finally gave up and texted me last week. We agreed to $1800 and that he would deliver it on a trailer. Done deal.

Looking forward to getting into it. Its not my first BMW. I have a 2006 M3 Competition Package and an '88 325i which has been a slow - and half complete - restoration project (for sale).

-B

Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 98' 740i
New E38 Owner

Looks like it is going to be fun. Plus you are already on the right financial foot, looks like you still got a good deal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmelzersam View Post
Looks like it is going to be fun. Plus you are already on the right financial foot, looks like you still got a good deal.

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't mention in my first post that the P.O. fixed the centerlink, replaced the rear tires, and replaced the radiator BEFORE he dropped the price and sold it to me.

Unfortunately the tires don't really matter as I won't be keeping these wheels (who flat black powder coats factory M-Pars?) and I would have rather had the Zionsville radiator rather than the OEM one, but that's okay.

Notice the shadowline front and rear bumper and chromeline body/door band? Bumpers aren't original.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
I'm glad to see she went to someone who will love and care for her and get her back into fighting shape.

And the award for best acting in a sappy forum is.........
Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 740il
Good score!!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Looks sharp.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

Are you guys going to skewer me if I change the color?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer73 View Post
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a '99 740iL the other day to be a project car. I've always wanted one and had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do with it, but either the time wasn't right or I couldn't find the right one at the right price.

I picked up this two-owner example with 155k miles on Friday. The guy had been asking $4500 for it at the beginning of the year but I went to see it (about 90 minutes from me) and it had a bunch of issues - center link was shot, valve covers were leaking, just about every door/console compartment didn't close/open, fog lights cracked, tires were bald, radiator was leaking etc. Transmission and diff were good and dry, and it had a black interior which was something I was looking for. Body was also straight and had no major defects. But I told him no thanks as he didn't want to negotiate on price. Anyway, he had it listed on CL for about 6 months and finally gave up and texted me last week. We agreed to $1800 and that he would deliver it on a trailer. Done deal.

Looking forward to getting into it. Its not my first BMW. I have a 2006 M3 Competition Package and an '88 325i which has been a slow - and half complete - restoration project (for sale).

-B

Only 155K on a 1999 BMW? Sounds suspiciously like it hasn't been driven very much, but if you get a good report it may be OK. (My 1999 528 recently passed 185K and seems very happy.)
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Only 155K on a 1999 BMW? Sounds suspiciously like it hasn't been driven very much, but if you get a good report it may be OK. (My 1999 528 recently passed 185K and seems very happy.)
Didn't mean to be so negative. Check with a good local indie shop. Mine (Urban's in Catonsville,MD) has been invaluable in deciding what needs fixing and what doesn't.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Didn't mean to be so negative. Check with a good local indie shop. Mine (Urban's in Catonsville,MD) has been invaluable in deciding what needs fixing and what doesn't.
No worries man - I didn't take it that way. In truth it has been parked a while so you are right. The P.O. was friends with the original owner. The original owner bought it new and drove it for a good while before his son started driving it sporadically. The son was friends with the guy I bought it from. The guy I bought it from was a GM guy who bought it somewhat opportunistically for his girlfriend thinking he would fix it up. I would say the originally owner drove it, didn't do much in the way of preventative maintenance, and then sold it when too many little things added up to a nuisance for him.

Anyway, the motor has issues and I intended a motor swap anyway so it didn't matter to me. I have a good indy shop (Stauffer's Auto in Millersville, MD) that has serviced my other BMWs so they will be doing all the work. The car is at the shop now and will be looked over as soon as I get my M3 back from diff upgrade.

-B
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 740il
Just to let you know that my car engine has been replaced and the car was 01 bmw 740il
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740il
Re: New E38 Owner

I blacked out my parallel wheels!!! Looks sick. plus the ones on that car don't loon like the have any dish in the back.