Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Unhappy stalling x5 50i

My x5 is at the dealer again, it has stalled about 5 times in the last 18 months. the car was bought new. few other glitches along the way but this stalling issue is getting dangerous, it stalled in the middle of a right turn on on-coming traffic, close call. has any body else has this problem? my car shows no fault codes. this time I took it straight to dealer after it happened and it still didn't show any codes what so ever.
please any body shed some light on this!! I like my car and want it back fixed rather than having to part exchange....
Ads by Google
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Hpfp?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM

the dealer wont replace 1 without any codes will they?
I will mention it tomorrow when I speak to SA. thank-you for reply.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Are you sure the dealer is looking at everything the DME is logging?

I can see that there are no OBD codes and no light, but one has to think that lack of ____ and the resutling stall would trap some sort of error somewhere....

5 times in 18 months is VERY infrequent...it is really hard to trap these.

Any commonality in the stalls? Moving from a stop? Turning right? speed? Gear?

A
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Quote:
Originally Posted by a51fff View Post
My x5 is at the dealer again, it has stalled about 5 times in the last 18 months. the car was bought new. few other glitches along the way but this stalling issue is getting dangerous, it stalled in the middle of a right turn on on-coming traffic, close call. has any body else has this problem? my car shows no fault codes. this time I took it straight to dealer after it happened and it still didn't show any codes what so ever.
please any body shed some light on this!! I like my car and want it back fixed rather than having to part exchange....
Sorry to hear about your problems. My experience wasnít exactly like yours, but here's what happened. Iím sitting at a red light about to make a right turn into on coming traffic. Since my X has a lot of power, I tend to pull out with traffic closer than normal. Well, I pulled out, got on the gas, I heard the gong sound the X makes when seat belt is not buckled, and the truck shut off. No CEL light but the I drive said something about the active steering needing calibration. I coasted into the center turning lane with people behind me blowing the horn. I stopped, restarted the X, and I havenít had the problem since. This really concerned me. Ive owned 11 vehicles and the last time one shut off on me was in 1994, and that was a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Now its 2013, Im driving a 2012 BMW X5 and it does the same thing. Really? And this company use to build aircraft engines? Thank GOD they donít build those anymore.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
And this company use to build aircraft engines? :
Might I point out they lost that war?

Quote:
Thank GOD they donít build those anymore.

Agreed
Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
When you say "stalled" as in having to restart then I don't think five times in eighteen months is very infrequent, twice would get me to the dealer to identify the reason for that. Stalling for any reason is frowned upon. There is a answer for this and in order to have trust the issue should be resolved.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM

thank you all for replies.
it stalls when its on full lock or nearly on full lock, going from reverse to drive and it use to stall. this time it was on full lock at and I wasn't sure if I should go or not, so braked slightly and then gave it the beans and it went foreward then stopped then tried again then cut out.
in the past its been when I reverse out of drive way, full lock one way then brake, change to drive then other way lock and stall, or parking it into a tight space where u have to go from reverse to drive frequently and quickly.
I don't know, I understand its not frequent and its very random but that's not the point is it. I need to trust the car to drive it!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your problems. My experience wasnít exactly like yours, but here's what happened. Iím sitting at a red light about to make a right turn into on coming traffic. Since my X has a lot of power, I tend to pull out with traffic closer than normal. Well, I pulled out, got on the gas, I heard the gong sound the X makes when seat belt is not buckled, and the truck shut off. No CEL light but the I drive said something about the active steering needing calibration. I coasted into the center turning lane with people behind me blowing the horn. I stopped, restarted the X, and I havenít had the problem since. This really concerned me. Ive owned 11 vehicles and the last time one shut off on me was in 1994, and that was a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Now its 2013, Im driving a 2012 BMW X5 and it does the same thing. Really? And this company use to build aircraft engines? Thank GOD they donít build those anymore.
My friend had the stalling issue as described here on her Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I questioned her on her refueling habit and discovered that she let the car run almost dry before fueling. I asked her to get the dealer to check the fuel filter and then change the refueling to not go below half tank. She had been to the dealer several times and they were not able to get this resolved. The fuel filter was clogged and with the chage to fueling more regularly and also not fueling the car if the gas station was receiving its supply, she never had a problem until she sold her car. Maybe get the fuel filter checked.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

idle air control valve,
vacuum leak,
idle speed set too low. (dealer CAN program this up a bit)

Sounds like this issue happens when the car is at idle and you place a bit extra load on the motor by the steering being at full lock...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
I had mine stall in my driveway once and had a couple of occurrences of it bucking after first starting it up. I recently got an engine malfunction message that stayed on till it went to the dealer. They diagnosed a faulty injector and then proceeded to replace all the injectors to a "new updated design". This did not remedy the fault and then proceeded to replace the High Pressure Fuel Pump. At this point I'm waiting to hear if that resolved the problem. I should hear back from the dealer today.
2010 R1200GS Adventure 30th Anniversary Edition

Past BMWs
2010 Carbon Black M5
2007 Graphite K1200GT
2008 335ia
2005 545i
2004 R1150R
2003.5 M3 Cabrio
2000 540ia
1997 M3 sedan
1997 540ia
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM

should be getting car back tomorrow or day after. last time I had this stalling problem, they turned the revs at idle up and it didn't stall since. two weeks ago it went in for a new I-drive screen(another long story!!) and they reprogrammed car in which it set the idle back to factory, too low. now they are going to put it up to 810rpm at idle, and all being well that'll stop the stalling. hopefully others having the stalling issue can get away with this solution without any major work.
thank you to all replies.
hopefully this issue is resolved, for me at least!!