Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 7 series hopeful
Groaning sound from Front when turning

WHen I make a slow like U turn, I can sometimes here a groaning sound which seems like its coming from the front left or right suspension. Is that something to do with the self leveling suspension and maybe something leaking or worn out?

Is there a diagnostic to do to help diagnose the problem?

Thank you for the advise
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Did you check your power steering fluid? It's the one with the green top to the right of the motor I believe. Also I believe self leveling suspension is only in the rear.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Did you check your power steering fluid? It's the one with the green top to the right of the motor I believe. Also I believe self leveling suspension is only in the rear.
+1 to this
If its full then change it if its low try and find a leak if that don't work then it could be other components but trying the fluid first wont hurt as it should be changed every few years at a bare minimum

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Maybe a flush would work, might have water in the lines.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

For those like that love INK checkout join
Myinkedspace.com with my referral code and enjoy

http://myinkedspace.com/?ref=REF65900
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Good thoughts. I should have mentioned that I did check the power steering fluid and it is at the top. The groaning sound is not so consistent that I can repeat it each and every time. I try some things in a open parking lot to see If I can consistently make it happen as Until I can demonstrate it to the technician I don't think Ill get anywhere with the a diagnosis from them. I think it happens with sharp turns under acceleration or with some speed.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Groaning Sound Fixed

The shop replaced the power steering fluid. He said the fluid seemed a dark color vs the bright green it should be. That did not seem to improve the groaning sound.

A few weeks later he did a flush, and used the diagnostics to control the hydraulic suspension which when running the diagnostic causes the car to alternately move up and down on each corner which has the result checking the auto leveling and also burping or bleeding any air out of the system.

After several days, I have not heard the groaning sound and I tried hard to make it happen. I think its fixed!.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750Li
Mine does the same thing, only on low speed sharp turns such as u turns, parking etc. Do you have the sport package on yours? Idk how to get this solved as the BMW technician said they wouldn't do it under my CPO for some reason.

2008 BMW 750i Monaco Blue white and black interior.

2008 BMW 750LI Sport Package Barbera Red with Natural Brown Interior with LED License Lights

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco&Barbera View Post
Mine does the same thing, only on low speed sharp turns such as u turns, parking etc. Do you have the sport package on yours? Idk how to get this solved as the BMW technician said they wouldn't do it under my CPO for some reason.
Sound like exactly the same problem. Mine happened on low speed turns just as you described. Yes I have the sports package. Some CPO arent very good and might not cover but its not too expensive to have done. I would take care of it on your own. They can do it while you wait. I think the secret is to run the diagnostic where they move the suspension upa nd down to burp the system. I just have my fluid changed and that did not fix it. But after he ran the suspension software that made the corners move it has worked find for a couple months now. No groan!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by occountin View Post
Sound like exactly the same problem. Mine happened on low speed turns just as you described. Yes I have the sports package. Some CPO arent very good and might not cover but its not too expensive to have done. I would take care of it on your own. They can do it while you wait. I think the secret is to run the diagnostic where they move the suspension upa nd down to burp the system. I just have my fluid changed and that did not fix it. But after he ran the suspension software that made the corners move it has worked find for a couple months now. No groan!
Thanks for the advice as I would love to get this fixed. It doesnt happen all the time but is annoying when it does. My car goes in in 4400 miles so I will have them preform the software test then. Glad you posted and found a solution! Great contribution to the board.

2008 BMW 750i Monaco Blue white and black interior.

2008 BMW 750LI Sport Package Barbera Red with Natural Brown Interior with LED License Lights

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV