Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Have had to add hydraulic fluid twice.

I have recently had to add about 1/4 of the can of chf-11s twice now following a "steering" warning. I can't find any leaks under the car. Where could it be going?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Ads by Google
Old 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Have had to add hydraulic fluid twice.

7's are notorious for that leak more than likely its the rack & pinion!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
I believe the active sway bars also use this same fluid so it could be a small leak from it when you are actually driving.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Update: So when the car was put on a lift (to swap out rims) there was a leak from what looks like a small cv boot or something Only leaks when the weight is off the car. I didn't get a picture sorry, but does this sound familiar? What should i search for?

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of research and it is apparently leaking from the steering rack on the passenger side. Its not a heavy leak at all. There has never been any drops on the ground or anything so it has been leaking into the boot for who knows how long. So I know a reman rack is in order, but I am considering just trying out the Lucas power steering stop leak. I have read a bunch of reviews, many say worked for them...many say don't do it and just replace the rack. My thought process is that I agree with replacing the rack, but I also don't think its really going to hurt any of the other items in the hydraulic system (steering pump, dynamic steering control, etc.) so I am leaning towards trying this "bandaid" fix. I plan to just add a little bit to see if it makes any difference without over contaminating the system. Anybody ever used this on their 7 for a minor rack seal leak?