Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
Passenger air bag fault

I had my alternator and battery replaced about 6 months ago. The tech that worked on my car send the alternator was overcharging and caused the passenger seat belt fault to fire. Okay cool. I replace both alternator and battery and they reset the fault however it keeps coming back on after driving the car for a while. I've left my car with the shop for about a week and a half and no one seems to be able to find out what is causing the problem. They even mentioned something about opening a case with the engineers in Germany to help them resolve the issue.

Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the outcome? I got my car back last friday and the shop pretty much said they have no idea what's wrong.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745li
If this is a airbag fault then it is likely to be the passenger sensor matt. It cracks overtime and causes the error. There is a recall on this and is replaced without charge. I had both done and had to pay for the drivers side. Otherwise you can disable it with a plug if ebay. But I am sure it stops the airbag from deploying.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Call BMW NA and give them your VIN to check if's under the extended warranty program, not recall. I think it's only for the '04 and above.