Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: '97 528i, 5-speed
Bypassing GM3 module...

Hello all,
My buddy '97 BMW 740i runs great with no problems but... these items are not working:
-Wiper System --> checked good: fuse / relays / relays contact
-Interior Lights --> checked good: fuse
-Horn --> checked good: fuse
-Tilt Steering Wheel Adjustment --> checked good: fuse
-Seat (Driver / Passenger) --> checked good: fuse
-Air Bag & Brake warning lights stay illuminated

These items working fine:
-Rear Shade
-Sun Roof
-Radio System
-Outside Mirrors
-Central Locking Switch on the Console
-Sun Visors (passenger's side - no electrical interferences when moving)

We're also keep getting messages on:
-Check Brake Linings --> brake linings all good so are the sensors
-Check Brake Lights --> checked good
-Check Backup Lights --> checked good
-Check Doors Lock / Trunk --> all closed

We have checked all possible fuses and relays AND we have changed out several Ignition Switches and a GM3 Module but nothing has changed. The GM3 were swap out from another (one year newer) 740i but those items still not working then put the GM3 back to the donor car; everything works fine in that car. Also, when we swap out the GM3 we also switch out the battery with no effect.

At this point we're looking for way to bypass the GM3 Module for those items that fail to work and power them directly; if there are any electrical gurus out there please help us make this re-wiring possible. Are there any schematics that we can use for guide?

We know that this will be lots of work for a hi-mileage car (~270k) but it in great shape and the engine & transmission are working flawlessly with recent timing chain guide work done.

Looking for all advices!

Thank You!
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
All you can eat:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/

Any water of the passenger floor. Some of these items are monitored by the LCM. Could be an I-Bus issue as well? Any aftermarket audio installed? Wiper relays are in the bottom of the ebox under hood. Can't hurt to check for water there as well. You mentioned passenger visor. Does this mean you did the visor test to check the iggy switch?

Edit: Meant to add that the steering tilt and drivers seat adjustment work thru the module on the side of the drivers seat. Common for them to fail when the side trim with the controls work loose. Did these things all happen at once or did he get the car this way. Just wondering if it could be multiple issue a previous owner never addressed.

Last edited by Mayorchuck; 05-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
All you can eat:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/

Any water of the passenger floor. Some of these items are monitored by the LCM. Could be an I-Bus issue as well? Any aftermarket audio installed? Wiper relays are in the bottom of the ebox under hood. Can't hurt to check for water there as well. You mentioned passenger visor. Does this mean you did the visor test to check the iggy switch?

Edit: Meant to add that the steering tilt and drivers seat adjustment work thru the module on the side of the drivers seat. Common for them to fail when the side trim with the controls work loose. Did these things all happen at once or did he get the car this way. Just wondering if it could be multiple issue a previous owner never addressed.
Hi Mayorchuck,
I am having trouble browsing the wweb site; I set my settings to accept all but it still showing me nothing on the screen. I've tried IE8 / IE9 / IE10 but no luck. Could you please let me know how to use it?
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
I use Firefox and/or an old version of IE. You must have JAVA or it will not work. It is indeed quirky. i.e. on Firefox, Clicking on a highlights area does not take me to that info. I have to put it in the search box and it brings it up. My old version of IE takes me to whatever I click on. This will make sense once you get in it. My guess is your problem is the lack of a JAVA plugin on IE.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by van556 View Post
Hello all,
My buddy '97 BMW 740i runs great with no problems but... these items are not working:
-Wiper System --> checked good: fuse / relays / relays contact
-Interior Lights --> checked good: fuse
-Horn --> checked good: fuse
-Tilt Steering Wheel Adjustment --> checked good: fuse
-Seat (Driver / Passenger) --> checked good: fuse
-Air Bag & Brake warning lights stay illuminated
Wipers are controlled by the GM3 module.
Interior lights are controlled by the GM3 module.
Horn is not controlled by the GM3 module.
Tilt Steering Wheel Adjustment and Seat (Driver / Passenger) I believe should work independantly of the GM3 module, but, automatically adjusting to which key is used does require the GM3 module.
Air Bag & Brake warning lights are not controlled by the GM3 module
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Deleted

Last edited by JasonSC540ia; 05-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.