Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I'm at 5500 miles now, still no lag. Keeping my finger's crossed!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Dealerships are retarded and have no clue about anything unless its handed to them from on high in the form of a TSB. You got a lemon, period.

For those of you who actually HIT the gas... There are well documented workarounds to this very REAL issue. Problem solved
I'll probably start a separate thread on this, but have tried both my local BMW dealer and BMW NA Customer Service on the delayed throttle response. The dealer (paraphrasing): "The car's in spec, go away". BMW Customer Service (paraphrasing): "The car's in spec, no-one's heard of this problem, go away" (not much of an exaggeration there!

I think there is a driving style workaround to this, but I'm astounded that not once has anyone associated with BMW even acknowledged that there are some people who have an issue with throttle lag.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaynard View Post
I'll probably start a separate thread on this, but have tried both my local BMW dealer and BMW NA Customer Service on the delayed throttle response. The dealer (paraphrasing): "The car's in spec, go away". BMW Customer Service (paraphrasing): "The car's in spec, no-one's heard of this problem, go away" (not much of an exaggeration there!

I think there is a driving style workaround to this, but I'm astounded that not once has anyone associated with BMW even acknowledged that there are some people who have an issue with throttle lag.
I'll complain, keep us in the loop. new thread is probably a good idea. why would they acknowledge a problem unless there was pressure and a reason to?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I am one of those who experience no lag and wonder what all the drama is about. But to the extent that this is a real phenomenon, I wonder if it is intentional on BMW's part. Toyota/Lexus is paying out millions for reports of "accidental acceleration," or whatever. I suspect most of these cases, if not all, have prosaic explanations. However, any car company would have to be concerned. So if they had a car with an engine that responded immediately to any sudden force on the accelerator, what are the chances that the company is looking at a mess of lawsuits in its future?

Just conjecture. For myself, I find myself using EcoPro more and more once I am on a Los Angeles freeway, since I have almost no opportunity or reason to need to speed up super fast to pass anyone. That would just get me to the next traffic jam faster, so why not burn less gas? However, I do have to accelerate from on-ramp traffic light control stops, often without a heck of a lot of lane before merging onto the freeway. My 28i X1 does that beautifully and powerfully with EcoPro off (and not all that bad with it on). I don't even have to stomp down hard to get more than enough power to be up to 60+ rather fast. I am sorry other X1 drivers don't share that confidence.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Just conjecture. For myself, I find myself using EcoPro more and more once I am on a Los Angeles freeway, since I have almost no opportunity or reason to need to speed up super fast to pass anyone. That would just get me to the next traffic jam faster, so why not burn less gas? However, I do have to accelerate from on-ramp traffic light control stops, often without a heck of a lot of lane before merging onto the freeway. My 28i X1 does that beautifully and powerfully with EcoPro off (and not all that bad with it on). I don't even have to stomp down hard to get more than enough power to be up to 60+ rather fast. I am sorry other X1 drivers don't share that confidence.
From my testing, using ECO PRO doesn't save much gas so we just don't use it anymore. I drove from Torrance to Mission Viejo at 75 MPG without changing lanes to pass much and got 30+ MPG. I'm sure a lower average speed would yield close to the EPA number. I prefer having the power to pass on tap when I need it than having the horribly delayed throttle response ECO PRO cripples you with.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
OK, here's something to try just for giggles ... turn on EcoPro mode with the transmission in sport mode. It's not exactly a workaround, but the results are interesting - at least I found them to be interesting anyway. It's like the contradictory settings confuse the car. The throttle is actually surprisingly responsive in most situations. It can be a little sluggish once underway, but most of the time the car reacts immediately to a quick stab of the throttle. It actually feels quicker to me when you kick it in the ass. I'm curious to hear if others feel the same. If you try it report back.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 04-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
OK, here's something to try just for giggles ... turn on EcoPro mode with the transmission in sport mode. It's not exactly a workaround, but the results are interesting - at least I found them to be interesting anyway. It's like the contradictory settings confuse the car. The throttle is actually surprisingly responsive in most situations. It can be a little sluggish once underway, but most of the time the car reacts immediately to a quick stab of the throttle. It actually feels quicker to me when you kick it in the ass. I'm curious to hear if others feel the same. If you try it report back.
My experience is that the transmission is more responsive, not the throttle in this mode.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
Ha, this sounds like fun - will give it a whirl and report back.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
I took my nearly 8mth old 2012 X1 to the dealer with a lag complaint and it has been diagnosed with an accelerator sensor problem, dealer said this should fix the lag. Fingers crossed
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: X1, 128
I wonder if this still works on the X1 as it has on my Mini's and our other BMW's over the last few years:

I had a 07 X3 that seemed to be sluggish after 12K miles on the clock. I took it in and my SA went to the car and reset the adaptive transmission in about 45 seconds. This is exactly what he did and what I have done several times with great results. 1. get in car and close the door 2. insert key and push start button without pressing on brake.3. press and hold accelerator pedal for 30 seconds , then release 4. remove the key and open door to exit programming.

My SA said that this clears the memory of your driving habits in the transmission and is what happens from the break-in period. He said drive they way you want it to drive to reprogram transmission.

I plan on trying it as soon as I'm past the break-in!!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
When I test drove the lag drove me mad too (no worse than any other automatic I've driven), but then I put it into manumatic mode and I was satisfied with the driving experience. I plan on getting an M-Sport and using the paddles almost exclusively so this doesn't bother me really. I expect I'll only go to automatic mode in stop and go traffic.

What's this about adaptive programming? How is that going to affect the throttle response?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
If you drove like a grandma during break-in the transmission might learn that is how you like the throttle to behave.
Resetting it yourself allows the transmission to learn a new pattern.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: X1, 128
Exactly
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
I reset it when I installed the BMS tune and no difference... If anything it's worse in D
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Neat workaround for delayed throttle response

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
If you drove like a grandma during break-in the transmission might learn that is how you like the throttle to behave.
Resetting it yourself allows the transmission to learn a new pattern.
I drove like a grandma during the break in period and now I have no lag issues like I had with my 2007 X3. Even with ASS on the delay is negligible. Hearing all these stories I guess I lucked out on that aspect if the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Your adaptive transmission has a problem of not learning your past behavior. It'll be fixed on your next software flash....
Maybe your break-in period was too short.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I drove like a grandma during the break in period and now I have no lag issues like I had with my 2007 X3. Even with ASS on the delay is negligible. Hearing all these stories I guess I lucked out on that aspect if the car.
I have 100 miles to go during break in and then I can finally stop driving like a grandma. At least with how I have been driving now, the throttle delay has not bothered me at all. I also am not offended by ASS - in fact, I have grown to really like the feature. The delay is very small and, for me, well worth the increased gas mileage.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 6
Does anyone know if the adaptive transmission has a way to know who is driving the vehicle? My wife and I both have very different driving styles...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Have any of you tried this method? TBA reset: "Throttle Body Adaptation" reset??
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

Please share if this works... Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Steps...

1) hit start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
2) then press the accelerator down to the floor for 5 sec
3) then hit start button once to turn off power
4) then remove foot from accelerator
5) then waite for 2 minutes
4) then start the engine like normal and try it out!