Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Volvo C30
Thinking of getting a M3

Hi! I've been a lurker here for a while and am strongly considering of getting a 2008+ M3. I currently driver a modded 2011 Volvo C30 pulling 306HP and 357ft-lbs at the wheels and was just wondering how this compares to a stock M3. I've been on the track a few times with modded M3s and they have always flew past me on the straights but have kept up with some in the turns. That being said, I know the M3 is the ultimate driver's car from reading and watching reviews, but how do you guys feel about it as a DD with occasional track use?

Any thing I need to look out for when buying a used E92 M3?

Thanks in advance guys!

David
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3
That's what the car is built for! You can completely flog it on the track, but then, drive it home. That's where the M3 excels!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Just for starters the M3 has 100+ HP more without any mods. From a daily standpoint the M3 is really comfortable and well behaved. If you are into the light to light drag racing don't bother buying a M3. But based on your track comments I would think you are more interested in a dual purpose car. If that's the case, what are you waiting for? ...........................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Regarding horsepower, I believe the 414hp is measured at the crank and not at the wheel. Please correct me if I'm wrong though...
I don't do drag racing at all... Closed circuit track like MSR in angleton TX is what I'm accustomed to and prefer. Anyways, gonna test drive an M3 this Friday... Hopefully it will be everything that I have imagined!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Regarding horsepower, I believe the 414hp is measured at the crank and not at the wheel. Please correct me if I'm wrong though...
All manufacturers report at the crank in their literature. Big numbers sell.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Thanks for all the comments guys!Regarding horsepower, I believe the 414hp is measured at the crank and not at the wheel. Please correct me if I'm wrong though....

This is correct....but you'll still fair better than 306hp at the wheel. I've seen stock M3's turn 340hp at the wheel. The "Butt Dyno" will be the true test and if you take it to the track you'll be wondering why you waited so long to make the switch...........Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK

Last edited by 650 Ryder; 05-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:30 AM

Phil, I'm curious what you are pulling on the dyno with your M3 with all the mods. Do you mind sharing some of your numbers? If I were to get one, I'll most likely be modding it like I did with my Volvo here. I'm not so familiar with BMW aftermarket parts, but it looks like Dinan is one of the more popular choice?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
Phil, I'm curious what you are pulling on the dyno with your M3 with all the mods. Do you mind sharing some of your numbers? If I were to get one, I'll most likely be modding it like I did with my Volvo here. I'm not so familiar with BMW aftermarket parts, but it looks like Dinan is one of the more popular choice?
ESS seems to be very popular if you're looking to supercharge, and will push you over 600hp. Lot of folks with supercharged M3s over on M3Post.com.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The M3 is not high strung at all and makes an excellent daily driver.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: e90 M3
Most wheel dynos are not good at absolute measurements

There is no reliable way to calculate the the rotational inertia of the drivetrain, wheels and tires. (well you could pull everything apart and carefully measure it, but nobody does this). Without that info an inertia dyno is really only useful at seeing incremental changes in power. So if you use the same dyno before you do some mods, then dyno again, and the indicated HP improves, you are moving in the right direction.

But as a way of establishing the actual rear wheel hp these inertia dynos aren't likely to be accurate. Come to think of it, even when comparing numbers on the same car you would have to account for the rotational inertia change due to tire wear or, worse yet, different tires or wheels.

To get some idea of how much misunderstanding there is about how these inertia dynos work. I have heard many people claim that using lighter wheels will improve the rear wheel HP. It is true that lighter wheels will yield a higher number on an inertia dyno, but that is simply because the inertia of the system has been reduced, not because the power has increased.

My long winded point is, one can't really compare HP figures that were obtained with most inertia dynos, so there is no real way to compare your 306hp with the 414HP stated by BMW for the M3. I suspect that the M3 will be significantly faster than your Volvo. I would warn you though, the M3 is a high revving, low torque engine. As such, the engine really needs to be revved to make the car go fast. When I first switched from my turbo Audi to the M3 I felt like the M3 was just a bit faster, until I looked at the speedo.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 535IS
hey guys, i am in the market for a 2008-2009 M3 coupe, its a budget issue so i am getting in where i can afford. anyway I am looking for something with low miles like say under 35k. I will most likely do a PPI on one. What items (tests) would you consider important and would definetly do when you are perfoming a PPI on a car like the M3 ? chances of getting an M3 locally are slim so im looking nationally and would have to work with and trust a good service shop to do the PPI.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post
I would warn you though, the M3 is a high revving, low torque engine. As such, the engine really needs to be revved to make the car go fast. When I first switched from my turbo Audi to the M3 I felt like the M3 was just a bit faster, until I looked at the speedo.
I'll second that. I have not been to the track (yet?) and on regular roads I doubt that I ever got more power out of the M3 than from the non-turbo Audi S4 I had before (that one made 340 hp at 6200rpm). Those two cars have nearly identical torques once the M3 is up to 4K rpm, so to go beyond the Audi requires more than 6.5K rpm.

At those rpm levels the road becomes a blur and the M3 turns into a shrieking rocket. Almost impossible to enjoy legally and safely, except perhaps in second gear. For example, third gear will put you somewhere at 110 mph near engine redline...

Now: 2011 M3 sedan 6MT.
Was: 2009 328i xdrive wagon 6MT, 2008 Audi S4 convertible.

Last edited by Candide13; 05-16-2013 at 07:40 AM.