Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Not impressed with AC

We have a 2013 X3 2.8. Temp was in the 90's the last couple of days. We have the AC turned down to 66 and to be honest I am not impressed with the cooling ability of this vehicle. Anyone else have this issue?
With other vehicles I have, 66 would be like ice.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 35i M Sport
My Infiniti G37 blew like Ice. in fact it was too cold most of the time. BMW's are notoriously weak, imo, in regards to AC temps. In hot South Florida I find the low 70's set to auto works most of the time.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Did you make sure the middle dial in between the vents was turned to the blue section and not the red? It makes a huge diffence in the temp of the air coming out the vents. I do agree that BMW's A/C isn't their strong point.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I have a '14 x3 35i, coming from an '02 330ci, and I can confidently say that the AC is amazingly improved; as in iso cold I have to turn it up! I'm in Tampa, so it is just as important here that no corners were cut on the air conditioner. There is a neat button called "max ac" too that is just right if I wanted to cryogenically freeze myself.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Germans don't know what A/C means, all of my german vehicles have been lacking. I had a 2000 GMC and that thing would grow ice on the vents.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8; 2013 740 i
2014 X3 2.8.......New to forum. Vehicle lives in Rancho Mirage, CA (Palm Springs). 109 degrees today. I like my cars cold. Cold quickly. Superior A/C. Very fast; effortless to cool. X/3 is Space Grey; Black non leather. NO sunroof/moonroof.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
Germans don't know what A/C means, all of my german vehicles have been lacking. I had a 2000 GMC and that thing would grow ice on the vents.
Audi's AC is pretty cool, all BMW have weak AC, its a fuel saving thing I guess.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Did you make sure the middle dial in between the vents was turned to the blue section and not the red? It makes a huge diffence in the temp of the air coming out the vents. I do agree that BMW's A/C isn't their strong point.
Bingo, we have a winner! Yep that was the problem.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Not impressed with AC

The other thing to look at is the fan setting. Unlike my prior non-BMWs with auto a/c, which adjusted fan speed over the full range and went to recirc (max) when needed, my 2013 X3 only adjusts the temperature of the air and the fan speed up to the max set with the fan speed control. Even with the fan in auto, you need to increase the fan setting for more air flow when it is hot.

And you have to press MAX if you want that. And then turn it off when you don't. For an automatic system it takes more manual interventions than I would like.

As others have said, German engineering is different than Detroit. In most cases that is a very good thing, but in a few it is just hard to understand why they design things the way they do.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvt4me View Post
Bingo, we have a winner! Yep that was the problem.
Awesome! Make sure the vent in the back is set to blue as well and then in the winter switch it to red!! So easy to overlook!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Make sure the vent in the back is set to blue as well and then in the winter switch it to red!! So easy to overlook!
Thank You! I will check that one too.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
The other thing to look at is the fan setting. Unlike my prior non-BMWs with auto a/c, which adjusted fan speed over the full range and went to recirc (max) when needed, my 2013 X3 only adjusts the temperature of the air and the fan speed up to the max set with the fan speed control. Even with the fan in auto, you need to increase the fan setting for more air flow when it is hot.

And you have to press MAX if you want that. And then turn it off when you don't. For an automatic system it takes more manual interventions than I would like.

As others have said, German engineering is different than Detroit. In most cases that is a very good thing, but in a few it is just hard to understand why they design things the way they do.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I certainly agree. This BMW has certainly been a bit of a challenge as it is quite different that my recent cars (Benz C230, C5 Corvette). Sometimes I think it tries to do too much for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There is a lot to be said for superb German engineering -- unfortunately air conditioning is not one of their strong suits -- and frankly one they could take some lessons from the domestics on. My old Tahoe would chill beef in the 120 degree Tucson heat, but my 7 series was overwhelmed and the A/C was virtually useless. This may have some background in the domestic refrigeration background of GM/Ford/Chrysler's corporate holdings but who knows. I have never driven a domestic car with poor A/C but I have driven lots of "foreign" cars that needed help in the serious heat.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
My old Tahoe would chill beef in the 120 degree Tucson heat,
Thats because the Tahoe designers could not care less about gas mileage. I think anybody can design a cold AC with tons of BTU. In the lastest gen of Audi, there is a setting for efficient, normal and cold mode for the AC system. The owner gets to choose how cold he or she like it or how much fuel they want to save, BMW should have the option.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
\

======
What does that do ? If you don't mind explaining. Too lazy to go back and read the manual
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330
Edmunds had the same compliant in their long term X3 test.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2012/l...le-digits.html
Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The owner gets to choose how cold he or she like it or how much fuel they want to save, BMW should have the option.
oh, but they do have the option built in, its called the thermostat. Also max A/C vs normal which was included at no extra cost.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjrmann View Post
oh, but they do have the option built in, its called the thermostat. Also max A/C vs normal which was included at no extra cost.
Our X3 have not gone thru the Summer season yet but when we had the 328i, on some really hot humid days, the AC could not keep up even in max.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
i live on the beautiful florida gulf coast. so far it has only hit 85 for the highs lately, not for long.
i have found the A/C cools my '11 X3 quite efficently, even with the black interior.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
I tend to agree, the AC in my girlfriend's little Toyota Yaris blows cooler than my X3 :-)

German engineering is good, but not too cold, you vill have zee temperature that vee define for you :-)