Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740
Exclamation Big major problem

I have a 2001 BMW 740il that i thought would be a simple OSV change...

After i changed the part and the intake with a nice clean one i noticed the car was low on coolant and filled it up... then i heard water moving around and noticed that the area where the spark plugs are at is filled up with water....

Does this mean a cracked head???

Both sides have done this and the motor acts like it is locked up now...

PLEASE HELP!!! the car only has 100,000 miles on it
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
It could be a cracked block, blown head gasket or other. Did you change the OSV due to white smoke? What does your oil look like (translucent or 'milk shake')? Is there any evidence of contamination in the coolant?
When you say it acts like it is locked up, what is it doing?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 AM

Yes, it was smoking and had all the symptoms of the OSV...

The oil looks fine it doesnt show any water or anything in it. Looks normal, doesnt have any signs of a blown head gasket but its when i filled up the coolant that i noticed coolant leaking into where the spark plugs are at. Its full of water in there and then i tried to crank the car and it wont even turn an 8th of a rotation. Every now and again it turns over once then goes back to being "locked up." When i turn it over by hand it does the same it gets real hard and wont turn then eventually turns about a turn then back to the same thing. Could there just be water on top of the piston and have it locked up?? Would taking the plugs out and trying to start it help??

Its not a battery issue because i have a box on it as well. It has plenty of power to turn it something is just causing it not to turn over...

Thanks again
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Sounds like your coolant is in more than plug wells. I would suck the coolant out of the plug wells (wet & dry shop vac) pull the plugs and try to crank it. It should tell you if you also have coolant in the cylinders causing the 'lock-up'. If you blow coolant out of the cylinders when you do this and it cranks, quit immediately. You have a blown head gasket, cracked block or warped head. It is possible it is a timing chain problem which created all this, but eliminate the rest first.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Could this timing chain issue be the only problem? or could it have caused further damage like you said the heads, block, head gasket or so on
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 AM

If timing chain were only problem you would not be leaking coolant. There other potential sources for the coolant, but they should not cause the 'lock-up'. Yes the timing chain could be the original cause of it all...but eliminate other items first before throwing money at it.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Please note, IMO a 2001 740il if body and interior are clean and rest is operational, this problem is worth fixing...these are beautiful machines. I have a 1995 740i and do not plan on retiring it unless something catastrophic occurred. I would even go so far as swapping engines if I needed to.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

well i took 2 plugs out and its fired up and blew all of the water out. I put the plugs in and its runs now... But it definitely has issues... Its smoking and smells like coolant so its probably a head gasket or head problem... The car only has 100k miles and has a little damage from a flat tire down the passenger side. About $500 worth of damage. Id like to get it perfect but idk what to do.. not a mechanic but i can work on cars some...

Thanks you are ALOT of help
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 740 il
Thumbs up engine knock

hello..i just purchased my 740iL a few days ago. after driving it on the freeway..the engine began to knock. should i be concerned? i read mixed reviews..some say its normal..some say i need to change the vanos(whatever that is). please advise..thnx.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Based on what you said, don't know what you should change...BUT a knock is not something that id normal and may be from several causes. You need to drive minimally or not at all until you figure it out. Is it actually a knock, or is it missing...or...???
And by knock, are you referring to a knock or ping from less than 91 octane gas?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM

I took a major gamble on the car. I have ZERO history on the vehicle. So I can't tell you much of anything. I guess the positive thing out of this is that it drives great. It's just that very annoying knock that's bugging me. Maybe after a couple of fill ups..it'll go away.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM

If you are going to try to exercise it away, make sure you are using 91 octane fuel (may want to add Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil to the gas PER product instructions, for at least one full tank). Look at the oil and oil filter and if you don't know last change cycle, change it, use a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge). If you think it has been sitting for a long time, use an upper-cylinder lubricant when you change the oil. I like Marvel for that also...there are many choices. Check your air intake filter, and again any doubt, change it. If you are a DIY type, all this should only be about $100. They are great cars. Enjoy it.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Ok. Thnx for the great advice. I'll keep you posted if those things you told me works.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Well..just bought some sea foam
And the knocking noise in my engine decreased. So I'm thinking that the previous owners didn't put the proper octane in it. So I'm hoping after a couple of fillups...maybe that will resolve the issue. Thnx again.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitsjaf2009 View Post
If you are going to try to exercise it away, make sure you are using 91 octane fuel (may want to add Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil to the gas PER product instructions, for at least one full tank). Look at the oil and oil filter and if you don't know last change cycle, change it, use a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge). If you think it has been sitting for a long time, use an upper-cylinder lubricant when you change the oil. I like Marvel for that also...there are many choices. Check your air intake filter, and again any doubt, change it. If you are a DIY type, all this should only be about $100. They are great cars. Enjoy it.
It could be the timing chain guides. I just changed mine as a precaution. A buddy of mine had his go and it sounded like a knocking noise. His guides broke into pieces.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM

still has a knocking sound..but took it on the highway and did a WOT ...absolutely no power loss! but have another concern..every now and then..when i start up the car..a very light but notice plume of smoke comes from the exaust pipes. should i be concerned?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740IL
Sounds like the timing guides and the OSV that is behind the timing chain or the one on the back of the intake. If the plastic broke off the guide it probably cracked the OSV behind the chain
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 PM

is that a easy fix? sounds expensive.