Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
iphone app for 2013 M3

just got my new M3 and was wondering about the iphone app. i did not get it but i think that i can buy it and have them install it. does anyone know if i have this app will i be able to manage my music by using the nav/iDrive interface while the music is on the phone (like change songs and browse my music on the iphone by using the idrive interface)?

also i am reading my manuals and am a little confused... can i load my music from my iphone onto the car's hard drive? or is this only from other mp3 players. it is a little confusing.

john
Ads by Google
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
2013 M3, assuming you have bluetooth, you can stream your music from your iPhone using bluetooth and control it from the iDrive... Don't need BMW Apps for that. If you want Pandora etc then yes, you'll need BMW Apps.

Last edited by kscarrol; 05-17-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by riv1973 View Post
just got my new M3 and was wondering about the iphone app. i did not get it but i think that i can buy it and have them install it. does anyone know if i have this app will i be able to manage my music by using the nav/iDrive interface while the music is on the phone (like change songs and browse my music on the iphone by using the idrive interface)?
No USA dealer can retrofit BMW Apps, if it is what you are referring as iPhone app.

And what you are really talking about is different from BMW Apps. It is just the iPhone/iPod interface, which should be standard in your M3 since MY2012.

Try the white Apple cable (BMW Assist is standard with Nav) or the OEM BMW iPod cable (if for some strange reason the white cable does not work) and you will see your iPhone/iPod under CD -> External Devices.

Quote:
also i am reading my manuals and am a little confused... can i load my music from my iphone onto the car's hard drive? or is this only from other mp3 players. it is a little confusing.

john
You cannot load your music from your iPhone directly to anything. You need a particular software to do that if you want to understand what was loaded into the other device. Your songs titles will show encoded.

Try it and see it for yourself.

Just use a USB stick with up to 12.5Gb of MP3 songs (at 320kbps) and import those into the HDD.

It seems to me that your SA did not do his/her job at delivery.

Last edited by Technic; 05-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
iphone app for 2013 M3

Quote:

john
John, my 08 335i supported this via the USB port (located in the center console). BMW Apps would not be required.

BTW, post some pictures.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Line
I have a related question about my iP5. A few months ago, I bought a used '12 328i Sport Line: it has everything I want, except for my ability to connect to the Internet. Do I need to buy the cradle for BMW apps in order to check my email on the navigation screen?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflowerperks View Post
I have a related question about my iP5. A few months ago, I bought a used '12 328i Sport Line: it has everything I want, except for my ability to connect to the Internet. Do I need to buy the cradle for BMW apps in order to check my email on the navigation screen?
You cannot connect to the Internet in the USA using any phone hotspot. Perhaps what you meant was displaying texts and email via BMW Office.

First, you will need BMW Assist to have BMW Office in your iDrive. If so then http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=647089 . Cradle is irrelevant as this is via Bluetooth.

Otherwise your car does not have the hardware to have this feature.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Line
BMW apps Internet question

OK, I get it. I can live with the loss of this capability because of the other stellar features of this car; however, when you say that it doesn't have the hardware, does this mean that it had to have BMW Assist as an option before I could access BMW Office? I took it for granted that I could just check my text messages via the nav screen. I infer that this can't be added after the fact, correct? I appreciate your insight....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflowerperks View Post
OK, I get it. I can live with the loss of this capability because of the other stellar features of this car; however, when you say that it doesn't have the hardware, does this mean that it had to have BMW Assist as an option before I could access BMW Office? I took it for granted that I could just check my text messages via the nav screen. I infer that this can't be added after the fact, correct? I appreciate your insight....
Take a look at your iDrive main menu. You will either have Office or not.

The BMW Office feature is part of the Combox module... if your car does not have BMW Assist then most probably it does not have a Combox. There was a batch of early 2012 production F30 that were equipped with the Combox with most of the features disabled by software.

You need to take a look in your trunk to see if your car is a lucky one (search for an illustration of a Combox and possible locations in the trunk). If so equipped then you would need to contact forum vendor BimmerTech to code your Combox for BMW Office and a lot of other great features. No USA dealer can do this.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
after some hunting I now can control the iphone music from the idrive. only thing is that it love to play previously listened to tracks when I start the car up and attach the phone. like it is trying to prove how smart it is

john
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
iphone app for 2013 M3

Quote:
after some hunting I now can control the iphone music from the idrive. only thing is that it love to play previously listened to tracks when I start the car up and attach the phone. like it is trying to prove how smart it is

john
John, where are your pictures? Still enjoying the M3?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app