Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5
MPG question on X5 xdrive35d

I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2011 X5-35d. the reading on it had a 24mpg after one week of driving i just noticed it has gone down to 23.7 ...
1 ) my question:
is this natural keeping in mind the different driving styles( the peddle is too sensitive and I am cautiously trying to keep it within the speed limits!!)
or I need to have it looked up ?
2 ) my question:
On the day of purchase i hand-washed the rims removing all the oil stains on it, after 1 week of driving it is come up again a small oily coating on the rims ( all 4 wheels) ? Need advice on this as well .
Cheers
Ads by Google
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
1) yes, it will go down. Expect the MPG to average around 22-23 mixed.

2) yup, called brake dust. can't do anything about this.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Agreed with AU on all counts. The E70 gives off a lot of dust. The good news is that don't squeak like my old E46 brakes...which were also dusty.

Mileage can go as high as 27-28 on the open highway. I average around 20, as I do more city driving.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
I've had my X5 35d for about two months now, and I'm averaging around 20mpg with mostly city driving. I have to say the brand of diesel seems to make a difference in MPG. I've tried a few different brands to see which the vehicle ran best on, and Shell diesel consistently produces MPG results around 17 MPG, BP produces MPG around 20, Sunoco was in the mid 18s. BP is what I'm sticking with going forward, since the car runs the best on it, and I'm getting the best MPG with it. I do calculate my MPG by hand, so it's not the MPG from the internal car computer, and driving style has been consistent across all tanks/brands of diesel.

The brake dust on the X5 is better than what it was on my Audi Q5, and it washes off easier, but it is still a lot of dust.. The Audis have a lot more sintering problems with their brake dust, it was always a nightmare to clean it all off the rims and the rocker panels, and I'm thankful that hasn't been the case with the BMWs.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
Interesting on fuel brands. Has anyone done studies on Exxon and Chevron, Valero ?????
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by txagbmw View Post
Interesting on fuel brands. Has anyone done studies on Exxon and Chevron, Valero ?????
I use Chevron because the pumps here around San Antonio are marked with an "up to 5% biodiesel" label. This ensures adequate lubricity.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Interesting find on the fuel brands...like txagbmw i am curious on the exxon as that is just under a mile from where i stay !!!
also Thank You all for sharing your thoughts....this is practically my first Beemer and was little disturbed seeing the break dust...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwsara View Post
Interesting find on the fuel brands...like txagbmw i am curious on the exxon as that is just under a mile from where i stay !!!
also Thank You all for sharing your thoughts....this is practically my first Beemer and was little disturbed seeing the break dust...
Don't let the brake dust get to you. It washes off easily enough. Sonax wheel cleaner is a good product to help keep the rims clean.

I, too, was a bit surprised with the diesel brand and MPG. I knew that different brands of diesel would make the engine run smoother or rougher, because of different additives and cetane ratings, but I wasn't expecting for it to affect my MPG in such a noticeable manner. I've not tried Exxon/Mobil, so I can't comment. If/when I do try that brand, I'll post back how it ran, and what MPG I got out of it.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I get about 19mpg I'm city and 23 MPG on freeway. I tried chevron, shell, and no brand. It did not seem to make a difference

Last edited by henrycyao; 05-14-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
do a search on "cetane"...the octane equivalent for diesels. Large impact on power and performnance. Prolly find it in the diesel subforums!

A
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Not sure about the reliability of these numbers but....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-14 at 9.22.52 PM.png
Views:	91
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	376582  
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
Found a link to this in Texas http://m.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/m...eandiesel.html
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Urban

Many states are different when it comes to diesel fuel minimum requirements, with CA being one of the best. I believe, last time I read, CA has a minimum cetane required rating of 50. The standard for the US is 40, way behind Europe, which has a standard similar to CA's. In PA, where I live, there is no higher required minimum than the US standard of 40, but PA does require at least 5% biodiesel be added to all diesel sold. I believe it is this year that the required minimum biodiesel in PA goes up to 7%. In PA, all diesel is provided by "fungible" sources, and the different cetane ratings are produced by whatever additives each brand chooses to add. It is frustrating that the US, in their push for clean diesel requirements, hasn't also increased the minimum cetane requirements.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Yep- if you live in one of those counties you have min 48 cetane fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Many states are different when it comes to diesel fuel minimum requirements, with CA being one of the best. I believe, last time I read, CA has a minimum cetane required rating of 50. The standard for the US is 40, way behind Europe, which has a standard similar to CA's...
CA has the same min cetane requirement as most of the US (40 cetane). but because CARB diesel has other requirements for aromatic content and the like, it typically has higher cetane (not because the higher cetane is required, but higher cetane is an effect of the other requirements).

Last fuel survey I saw showed an average of around 45 cetane for most of the US.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Not sure about the reliability of these numbers but....
Questionable at best. Most fuel companies won't commit (in writing) to anything but the minimum requirement for a given market. Too many variables in crude and processing. Fuel suppliers providing certain "premium" diesel may tout a higher cetane level (like Country Mark). This is mainly acheived by certain additives and is almost always reflected in the price.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Now that more clean diesels are hitting the road you would think there should be a law to post info on tanks as to know what you are buying. That way a customer can decide where they want to shop and how much they want to spend.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Since new my 2013 is around 24.7 mpg

That is NYC and suburban driving with quite a bit of NJ Turnpike. I do not have a heavy food. I see no difference between Exxon/Mobil and Sunoco mileage.

I love talking about brake dust. Both my previous ( 2011 X3 ) and this truck produce so much brake dust it astonishes me. I am a compulsive car detailer and have been applying wax to the wheels weekly which helps clean them but even so my goodness they get black fast. I have plenty to compare as I own a 911 and a new GL 350 also. They both produce the black dust but just not as heavy.

Cheers.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
MPG question on X5 xdrive35d

21.5 mpg on 50-50 highway and city driving. My wife is heavy on the brakes and accelerator.

The brake dust accumulation is really bad. My supercharged range rover is worse however. Griots heavy duty wheel cleaner and a lot of scrubbing cleans it pretty well. I've tried various wheel waxes and an armor all spray product to reduce the brake dust accumulation. These products seem to reduce accumulation and keep the wheel "cleaner" a little bit longer. However, I have yet to find a product that eliminates accumulation.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 BMW X5 Diesel Platinum Bronze Metallic/Black Nevada Leather/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2003 IIIM5 Oxford Green Metallic/Caramel/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2010 Range Rover Supercharged Ipanema Sand/Sand with Navy piping

2006 Range Rover HSE Buckingham Blue/Parchment with Navy piping/American Cherry Wood....gone but not forgotten

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Bronze/Stone....gone but not forgotten
Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X35D
Well, 2 weeks into our ownership, we're wayyyy over on our allowed weekly mileage (12K/yr. lease), only returning about 16mpg, coating all four wheels with brake dusts, but 200% ear-to-ear grin baby !
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
2) yup, called brake dust. can't do anything about this.
Not so fast. I don't know if they are available, but ceramic pads release less dust and what is released is far lighter in color and not nearly as noticeable.

Our old LR3 had metallic brakes and they were horrible with dust and would screech horribly! The service adviser recommended against anything else. My guess is because nothing else said "Land Rover" on it. I upgraded to ceramic's on the front and was never happier. Rears got the same when the time came. What I liked was I could wash the car, and even the wheels remained clean 4 days later.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Yep- if you live in one of those counties you have min 48 cetane fuel

CA has the same min cetane requirement as most of the US (40 cetane). but because CARB diesel has other requirements for aromatic content and the like, it typically has higher cetane (not because the higher cetane is required, but higher cetane is an effect of the other requirements).

Last fuel survey I saw showed an average of around 45 cetane for most of the US.
You sure? See: http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/fuels/dieselspecs.pdf
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
diesel evangelist

yes. It is difficult to read the whole spec but if you dig deep enough you'll see that 40 cetane is the minimum for CARB. The summary sheet you are linking are for "alternative formulations"