Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Give you SA a gift card for a lunch somewhere.....
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d
Hi I'm new here. I have a CEL on. The SA (Barron BMW in Kansas City) checked it for me when I had my oil changed. He didn't tell me what the code #was, but said this was the issue.
Can any OBDII reader work to heck the code?

Mine is an 09 with the CCC, I'm not sure the build date. When I get back home (gone for Eastor) I think I will call BMWNA and see if I can get them to do this TSB on mine.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d
I'm about 4k past the warranty too
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutogogo View Post
Just a quick update. My is 1/2010 build date. I emailed the service bulletin to my SA last week and asked him if by any chance my active tank can be repaired under the warranty since BWM is aware of the issue. I got email from my SA today stated that he got the repair approved as warranty work and I can bring the car in anytime to get it done. I am very happy that BMWNA stepped up and make good on it. Good job to my SA as well..
Hi Pluto, would you mind telling who your SA and dealer was? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Our 2010 is also a 1/2010 build and even though we've had no issues (knock on wood) I'd like to have the SA/dealer info handy if I ever run into this problem outside of warranty.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 10 X5 35D
Finn, United BMW at Gwinnett is my service dealer, my SA is Al Powlis. He has been great to deal with. This is the second times now he helped me get the warranty work done after the warranty period. Both are related to emission.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Finn, United BMW at Gwinnett is my service dealer, my SA is Al Powlis. He has been great to deal with. This is the second times now he helped me get the warranty work done after the warranty period. Both are related to emission.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
[corrected]

How dealers fix these cars, and how we will be fixing them in the market once 'real people' beging working on, and paying for, repairs will be dramatically different. (Like cleaning the nozzle, repairing it or finding a replacement!)

Dealers are instructed by the OE to replace parts, often times in lagre and wasteful chunks.

Im not saying you repair was unnecessary, or there was some other fix...but just in general.

A

This is what thinking too. The dealers are always higher. If find the part on the web
and take to a indie shop. Or many will find a work around situation. Not sure but
this urea has only been around a couple of years ?????? so still got the bugs and
recall will be continuing maybe even extended warranties like the 335 fuel pumps.

What also don't understand is why BMW doesn't want any additives put in fuel that
many report on other brands that help. ??? Keep you going back to dealer
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagbmw View Post

What also don't understand is why BMW doesn't want any additives put in fuel that
many report on other brands that help. ??? Keep you going back to dealer
You dont understand?!

BMW remains silent in the manual.

Joe Idiot buys crap on the internet, causes injector pump to fail.

Joe Idiot Lawyer sues, class action, claims BMW had a duty to warn not to use additives.

Pretty simple.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
Quote:
You dont understand?!

BMW remains silent in the manual.

Joe Idiot buys crap on the internet, causes injector pump to fail.

Joe Idiot Lawyer sues, class action, claims BMW had a duty to warn not to use additives.

Pretty simple.
Can see Joe Idiot --- Your right many are out that looking to cash in

But there are allot of common sense joes out there. That still
have some brain functions and command of the english language to follow directions
on how much to use and of what blend. It just make it harder and more expensive
to maintain. Course not going to deal with mine unless keep past warranty. Many
things a owner can do vs running to the dealer.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
Smile

Quote:
Just a quick update. My is 1/2010 build date. I emailed the service bulletin to my SA last week and asked him if by any chance my active tank can be repaired under the warranty since BWM is aware of the issue. I got email from my SA today stated that he got the repair approved as warranty work and I can bring the car in anytime to get it done. I am very happy that BMWNA stepped up and make good on it. Good job to my SA as well.
Thanks again for all the helpful infos.

Chao.
Thank you for posting this information! I too am having similar issues with my 2010 X5 35d. I am currently waiting get a quote on replacing the DEF active tank from my SA. My SES/CEL has come on several times. Several services/recalls were performed, placing EGR ,SCR sensor and CAT while under warranty. I am currently at 61k+ miles and out of warranty. Interestingly, the SES light comes on and goes off, without explanation. I have been trying to get the problem diagnosed for about 5-6 months. It finally illuminated long enough to get a BMW diagnostic code of 4BAC. Note; I paid BMW $119 to diagnose this code. Later took truck to AutoZone and this code was not readable. Showed up as P5028 or P5023 (can not remember) with the basic coder reader. My SA attempted to fill tank with UREA fluid, and clear code/fault. Light returned about 150 miles later. I have been trying to research this issue via this forum, in effort to find out if the recalls or prior services were related to the failure of this part. I believe this to be the case, I am glad that BMWNA was willing to cover replacement.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serefinah View Post
: Interestingly, the SES light comes on and goes off, without explanation. I have been trying to get the problem diagnosed for about 5-6 months. It finally illuminated long enough to get a BMW diagnostic code of 4BAC. Note; I paid BMW $119 to diagnose this code. Later took truck to AutoZone and this code was not readable. Showed up as P5028 or P5023 (can not remember) with the basic coder reader. My SA attempted to fill tank with UREA fluid, and clear code/fault. Light returned about 150 miles later. I have been trying to research this issue via this forum, in effort to find out if the recalls or prior services were related to the failure of this part. I believe this to be the case, I am glad that BMWNA was willing to cover replacement.
Once the CEL come on the code is "set" and will be retained in memory.

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO GET TO THE DEALER WITH THE LIGHT ON.

Indeed. many idiot SAs will tell you not to worry about it.

BMW has specific codes that can be difficult to read- buy a reader that will resolve (decode) BMW specific codes.

Just fyi
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Code Reader

Quote:
Once the CEL come on the code is "set" and will be retained in memory.

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO GET TO THE DEALER WITH THE LIGHT ON.

Indeed. many idiot SAs will tell you not to worry about it.

BMW has specific codes that can be difficult to read- buy a reader that will resolve (decode) BMW specific codes.

Just fyi
Thanks, Ard. Will definitly look for one.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: E70
X5 35d CEL P205b

I had the issue with 4BAC.
At first I was trying to flush the tank with the water. Didn't help.
Then I fill the tank with warm water and left for few hours. Then drained and repeat the procedure during couple days.
Then refilled the tank with urea fluid. CEL was gone since then (few weeks already).
My idea is the following. Urea liquid crystalize after contact with air.
If the tank is somewhat empty, let's say half) and plug is not tight the fresh air will come into the tank and urea will crystalize on everything above the level blocking the normal work of the sensors. Water dissolves this crystallization getting everything back to normal (however takes time). If my guess is right - my advice would be to keep the level of urea fluid as max as possible and make sure the plug is tight.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ Interesting. Thx for posting.

If indeed this stuff is crystallizing for whatever reason, that can impact the flow rate through the nozzle as well as the various sensors, causing spurious codes.

I expect the DIY phase we are entering will develop diaggnostic protocols and fixes for this stuff....

A
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
The crystallization theory holds some water. When dealer spilled urea on my engine a couple times, it left these stains of crusty nature. If I tried, I could peel some of it off with a knife. I initially thought the plastic and metal got corroded by some acid.

P.S. 49,500 miles on my 35d. DIY phase, here I come!
Interesting information that I hopefully won't need in next 50k miles.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 AM

I am in the industrial chemical sales. Some of the chemicals I sell crystallize fairly quickly leaving a solid residue behind. This presents problems especially in the storage tanks where residue builds up on the walls as the chemical level goes down and is exposed to air. Then the next fill-up flushes the residue off the wall, or it falls off by itself, dropping at the bottom of the tank eventually getting into the outlet of the tank. In most cases a filter at the outlet will take care of the issue, but sometimes if the residue build-up is heavy, it can block/restrict the outlet flow causing issues down the process.

So the idea of keeping the tank as full as possible at all times is definitely a good one IMO.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:

Thank you for posting this information! I too am having similar issues with my 2010 X5 35d. I am currently waiting get a quote on replacing the DEF active tank from my SA. My SES/CEL has come on several times. Several services/recalls were performed, placing EGR ,SCR sensor and CAT while under warranty. I am currently at 61k+ miles and out of warranty.
Are you positive you are out of warranty?

The DEF system and related parts should be covered under the EMISSIONS warranty, not the New Vehicle warranty. This can vary from state to state (go figure) but it is commonly 70,000 miles. So you may be okay. Even if the Emissions Warranty in your state is only 60,000 miles, BMW should cover this as a goodwill repair, provided you ask nicely.

And parts which have been replaced should be covered by a new warranty starting from the time / mileage at time of replacement. So if any of the replaced parts have failed, you should be covered there, as well. I am sketchy on the details (last time that happened to me was on my E39 540), but I am sure ard or someone else knows the correct answer.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 PM

X5 DEF tank issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIXLFIX View Post
I had the issue with 4BAC.
At first I was trying to flush the tank with the water. Didn't help.
Then I fill the tank with warm water and left for few hours. Then drained and repeat the procedure during couple days.
Then refilled the tank with urea fluid. CEL was gone since then (few weeks already).
My idea is the following. Urea liquid crystalize after contact with air.
If the tank is somewhat empty, let's say half) and plug is not tight the fresh air will come into the tank and urea will crystalize on everything above the level blocking the normal work of the sensors. Water dissolves this crystallization getting everything back to normal (however takes time). If my guess is right - my advice would be to keep the level of urea fluid as max as possible and make sure the plug is tight.

Thanks for the information, PIXLFIX. Where did you get the idea to flush the tank with water? I need to read my manual and/or buy as separate DIY manual.... It would make sense that this issue (crystalization) is probably also due to the fact that during the Maintenance Warranty period, my SA would not fill the DEF tank until the levels were low and the light prompted him to do so. Looking at another thread, I saw an individual that was billed $300, because the DEF tank needed to be refilled prior to the first scheduled oil change,...and I believe the mileage he/she stated was about 5k. Sounds like they got shafted, with a truck that was not filled upon delivery.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

PIXLFIX: Pls keep me posted on your success with that solution. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Quackbury: You bring up a great point! When BMW replaced the CATs, it was very close to 50k. I remember, communicating that I was glad the it happened when it did, or else it would have been a costly repair. During that conversation, I vaguely recall my SA mentioning something about some parts being cover up to 80k. When I asked about a "warranty" (assuming he was referencing a Powertrain), he stated that the only warranty BMW has is the 4yr/50k and the optional extended and did not recount the previous conversation about the coverage of parts up to 80k. I clearly need to do some research. Hence, the reason I joined this forum a few days ago. The emission warranty you speak of, is it BMW specific or for all cars? I intend to perform google search... But, if you have general resources that I can readily access that would be most appreciated. FYI- state specific , NC.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Quackbury: You bring up a great point! When BMW replaced the CATs, it was very close to 50k. I remember, communicating that I was glad the it happened when it did, or else it would have been a costly repair. During that conversation, I vaguely recall my SA mentioning something about some parts being cover up to 80k. When I asked about a "warranty" (assuming he was referencing a Powertrain), he stated that the only warranty BMW has is the 4yr/50k and the optional extended and did not recount the previous conversation about the coverage of parts up to 80k. I clearly need to do some research. Hence, the reason I joined this forum a few days ago. The emission warranty you speak of, is it BMW specific or for all cars? I intend to perform google search... But, if you have general resources that I can readily access that would be most appreciated. FYI- state specific , NC.
@ Quackbury- Maybe that 80k was in covering the new parts that were placed on the vehicle at the time of repair.... As, I do remember asking about the warranty on the parts/work performed at 49,723 miles. Nonetheless, thanks for the information. Look forward to any additional resources you have.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
I am in the industrial chemical sales. Some of the chemicals I sell crystallize fairly quickly leaving a solid residue behind. This presents problems especially in the storage tanks where residue builds up on the walls as the chemical level goes down and is exposed to air. Then the next fill-up flushes the residue off the wall, or it falls off by itself, dropping at the bottom of the tank eventually getting into the outlet of the tank. In most cases a filter at the outlet will take care of the issue, but sometimes if the residue build-up is heavy, it can block/restrict the outlet flow causing issues down the process.

So the idea of keeping the tank as full as possible at all times is definitely a good one IMO.
Interesting information. My question to the DEF Tank Refill DIYers- Is there a filter to catch this residue and is there a process/requirement to flush the tank/replace filter?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Read your owners warranty manual.

There is a FEDERALLY MANDATED warranty on certain parts. Read it for yourself, the copy is in you glovebox!

Recognize this is paid for and provided by BMW, but is a legal requirement mandated by the government.

SOME states actually go beyond that and follow the California warranty.

Dealers and SAs will sometimes obscure the facts here- but it is a BMW warranty.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Found this:

Quote:
* Subject to change, the following states have adopted and are enforcing California emission warranty regulations:
- Passenger Car & Light-duty Trucks (up to 8,500 pounds GVWR) - Arizona, California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington (NOTE: New York adopted California emissions standards, but not the California Emissions Warranty; the Federal Emission Control Warranty applies to all non-PZEV vehicles in New York)
Just for reference
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: E70
X5 35d CEL P205b

Quote:
PIXLFIX: Pls keep me posted on your success with that solution. Thanks again.
Not sure how much time did pass, but (knock-on-wood) no CEL coming on.