Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Depending on how your X5 is trimmed out (wheel/tire pkg, leveling, etc), the top of our ball should end up between 18.5 and 19.5 inches off the ground using our standard-rise ball mount in an unloaded condition. We also have ball mounts with non-standard rises that will put the ball about 2 inches above or 2 inches below this standard height if your trailer requires such.

-Daryl
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Any idea when you might have another group buy?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
I would be interested, also, to know when/if the next group buy will be.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

I'm afraid I cannot offer much optimism for another Group Buy, at least not this year. The group buy was a negotiated agreement with our dealers that allowed us to offer an unadvertised discount below MSRP to the bimmerfest community... but only for a very limited time. Specifically, it all had to be completed before the first day of Spring.

Despite the ending of the Group Buy, I remain convinced that the invisihitch is by far the premium towing solution for the X5 and X5M, and well worth its price when compared to cutting the bumper of a nice $70-80k vehicle... even if I cannot always get you a discount. I hope you will agree.

Cheers... and thank you for your support and suggestions,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D, 03 530i Sport
Despite the ending of the Group Buy, I remain convinced that the invisihitch is by far the premium towing solution for the X5 and X5M, and well worth its price when compared to cutting the bumper of a nice $70-80k vehicle... even if I cannot always get you a discount. I hope you will agree.

Cheers... and thank you for your support and suggestions,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com[/QUOTE]

I agree! Just ordered one.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM

OK,
I just got and installed my Invisihitch. I previously had a Witter European hitch. I was very happy with it, but was unable to change the ball size to a 2 5/16 in order to tow a heavy duty trailer. The new style Invisihitch has the ability to use standard US style balls of various sizes.
I went out and started removing my rear bumper in preparation for installation as soon as I saw "out for delivery" on the FedEx tracking site. Every thing was off by the time it was delivered, and I had it on in no time at all.

Here are some pics of the Invisihitch and the European Witter hitch side by side. The Invisihitch is really well constructed. It is huge and heavy and looks like it could easily exceed the towing capacity of the X5.

Invisihitch on the bottom.

The Invisihitch ball mount on the left looks like it could tow an M1 tank! It's a lot bigger when you see it in person. The Witter does seem to have a more beefy locking mechanism though.

During installation, I noticed that the hitch was making contact with the wire plug for the PDC sensor, but it was easy to relocate.

I am very happy with this hitch. I got great customer service from Daryl at Execuhitch, and would recommend him in a heart beat.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Glad you like the Invisihitch, I am very pleased with their product as well. Very well made hitch. I agree, customer service from Daryl and Invisihitch is top notch
Old 05-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
I should have mine installed in a week or so. Scheduling it on Monday along with coding.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Recently got a 2013 X5 50i with the M package bumper. I am now told by BMW that their stock tow kit does not fit with the M package bumper. A couple of after market guys say the bumper would have to be cut. Not appealing. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Terry
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryatlanta View Post
Recently got a 2013 X5 50i with the M package bumper. I am now told by BMW that their stock tow kit does not fit with the M package bumper. A couple of after market guys say the bumper would have to be cut. Not appealing. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Terry
hhhhmmmm

Thanks for using search and finding a good thread to post in.

Now take the time to read this thread and your answer lies within

Jay
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
2013 BMW x5 - Trailer hitch recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryatlanta View Post

Terry
http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/

Execuhitch will fit your X5 with no cutting required.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM
'Fest Sponsor

The M Sport fascia got more aggressive in 2013, so we modified the design of our X5 invisihitch this year... specifically to avoid having to cut into the new M-Sport bumper.

And we still have the highest load rating of any X5 hitch available in North America.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Invisihitch / Execuhitch

Hey All
I have a 12 X5D with the body kit and the Execuhitch. I'm on the way to the body shop for the second time, in only the two times i've used it, to have it removed from the car as the ball mount is stuck in it. It appears that both times i've used it the mount has bent under the load of my boat. I'm well within the weight and tongue load from BMW but this hitch isn't taking it We've surmised it's because we are +5" from the bottom of the mount to the top of the ball. Bigger boat trailers sit higher off the ground and to get the trailer level we are at a plus five, it appears the torque of all that is creating too much stress. Very disappointed as I called and described the boat long before driving to Atlanta to have it installed. My options are to order a new boat trailer at an expense of $4000 that is two inches lower, which no one has convinced me will work, or get a different hitch... which isn't really option with the body kit.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM

Hmmm, have you spoken with Invisihitch about your problem? Hopefully Daryl reads this and gets back to you. This doesn't sound right...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Contact Daryl, he stands behind his product and offers great customer service. I'm sure he will take care of you.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 AM
'Fest Sponsor

@suspensio - I'm sorry I am just now seeing your post. Obviously something is horribly wrong. Even our +5" rise ballmount is tested to over 1,000 lbs of tongue weight (tested, certainly not suggested!). Your boat probably offers less than half of that. It sounds like we could be looking at a manufacturing defect on your ballmount if it is bent. Please contact me directly and I will make it right. If we have to replace the entire hitch, that's what we will do. I will work directly with your body shop to get it done for you.

Again, I apologize for not seeing this earlier. I have been purposely (and blissfully) out of internet/cellphone range for a week. But you have my full attention this morning.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Hi suspensio,

Can you update us on what was the outcome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspensio View Post
Hey All
I have a 12 X5D with the body kit and the Execuhitch. I'm on the way to the body shop for the second time, in only the two times i've used it, to have it removed from the car as the ball mount is stuck in it. It appears that both times i've used it the mount has bent under the load of my boat. I'm well within the weight and tongue load from BMW but this hitch isn't taking it We've surmised it's because we are +5" from the bottom of the mount to the top of the ball. Bigger boat trailers sit higher off the ground and to get the trailer level we are at a plus five, it appears the torque of all that is creating too much stress. Very disappointed as I called and described the boat long before driving to Atlanta to have it installed. My options are to order a new boat trailer at an expense of $4000 that is two inches lower, which no one has convinced me will work, or get a different hitch... which isn't really option with the body kit.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i

X2^^^^

Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 AM

I'm thinking if buying a hitch, still ding know if to buy oem or Invisahitch

Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
I looked into all the available hitches for our X5, I ended up buying and installing the ETrailer.com Draw tite hitch. It fit perfectly, they had a very complete video of how to install this hitch on a 2011 X5, mine is a 2008 and this video saved us hours. Many of the bumper mount attachments are hidden and the video paved the way for a good install.
For the electrical I bought one of the lighting kits from Etrailer. For both the electrical and the hitch I think I was just over $250. US.
The lighting kit worked perfectly, provides full battery voltage to the trailer with no load on the car wiring. It powers my trailer lights better than my GM Tahoe system.

The only negative and it may prove to be a big one. My X5 is equipped with the Auto Suspension system, it adjusts the shocks and springs to give a perfect ride. It does not like the trailer bouncing. We went camping and took the boat, the boat was loaded, very heavy. When the trailer bounced the rear bumper the BMW auto ride system would freak out trying to adjust. When you hit the brakes on less than smooth roads the boat brakes would engage and the BMW would try and adjust the chassis heights and the BMW brakes. Sometimes it would adjust till the car would jerk and the trailer brakes would feel the jerk and lock the trailer brakes, this would cause the BMW to adjust again and make for a herky jerky stop. This never happened towing with my Tahoe but happened a couple times on this trip.

For the most part the X5 is a very nice tow vehicle, up hill or downhill it remains composed. Great power, loaded for camping our boat was around 5,000 to 5,500 pounds.

You do hear more hitch rattle than in any tow vehicle I have used. I ordered a new Aluminum 6 inch drop hitch to replace my Steel 6 inch drop hitch. The maker claims the Aluminum will eliminate hitch rattle noise. It is also rated at 14,000 pounds so it will have a huge safety margin.

I hate all the automated features in the X5 when trailering. I want to move my X5 and move it 3 inches back to get directly under my trailer for hook up. Jump in the car, door open engine running, put the car in reverse to back up 3 inches, let off the brake and NOTHING. This smart ass car has determined I am doing the wrong thing and put the car in Park for me. OR..... my trailer sits on my driveway which has a slope downhill. I back up a little too far, get out inspect see I need to roll forward 1 inch to get in proper hook up position, get back in the car, door open just to let it roll down 1".
Put it in neutral release the brake and NOTHING. Smart car puts it back in park because I have the door open.
My biggest gripe with this X5 and it's smart system of controls. My Garage is under my home, I do not like starting cars in my garage. I generally hit my door opener, put the car in neutral and roll outside where I start the car. Not in this car. It will not let you put it in neutral unless the engine is running.
I like to keep the fumes out of my garage if possible, I have lots of things in my garage and my garage closets that I do not wish to have smell like exhaust. This was never an issue before buying the X5. My garage has 1/4 inch per foot grade for good drainage and it works well to let a car roll out without running the engine, normally.
Can any of this be re programed???? I do know the reasons for the car having these features, I just do not want them in my car. Thanks for letting me rant.

I want some things in life to remain simple.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Backing w/ door open

Put your seat belt on, now you can back with the door open. I agree, it is an aggravating feature.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Takin' Care of Business

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Sport Act
Daryl - on another forum, a poster looking for a hitch for his 2013 X5 sport activity mentioned that he got an email from execuhitch that the sport activity trim would require a cut to the underside of the bumper for installation. Is this correct? Is there something different about the bumper on the sport activity trim that requires cutting?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Daryl - on another forum, a poster looking for a hitch for his 2013 X5 sport activity mentioned that he got an email from execuhitch that the sport activity trim would require a cut to the underside of the bumper for installation. Is this correct? Is there something different about the bumper on the sport activity trim that requires cutting?
I had to trim the bottom of my M-Sport bumper. You can't see that it's been cut unless you get on the ground and look up.
2010 R1200GS Adventure 30th Anniversary Edition
2014 S1000R

Past BMWs
2010 Carbon Black M5
2007 Graphite K1200GT
2008 335ia
2005 545i
2004 R1150R
2003.5 M3 Cabrio
2000 540ia
1997 M3 sedan
1997 540ia
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM

We need another group buy

Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Hello All,
As this is appears to be an excellent and well-subscribed thread regarding X5 hitches, let me subscribe and ask a question also.

We have a 2004 X5 that we have been hauling a 3500lb horse trailer with for the past 7 years with no hassles. What was a hassle however, was installing the trail brake controller. It took the technician many hours and I believe he had to read the entire how-to manual before accomplishing the task It was very expensive!

As the old truck is winding to the close of its service life (245,000kms) we are looking at a CPO Diesel. They appear to be pretty bombproof in the cold starting department, and now I am researching why the heck BMW Canada and USA don't mention towing anywhere on their sites. Now that I have found this thread I believe I can confidently proceed with acquiring a newer truck, a diesel that will serve us (and our towing needs!) in the years to come.

My question is, for those of you who tow Class IV loads, how was the trailer brake installation process? Do they still have to dissamble all the body parts internally to get the harness from the front to the back? D oyou know where the brake pulse is sourced? On your 2002 it was the brake pedal, on the '04 it was the rear brake light!

For a truck so capable you would think that BMW would at least make it a little bit easier to get this done, but no. I have been tempted over the years to get a utility pickup truck to do the towing, or a US-made SUV, but my wife drives the X5 and loves it so much that we will continue with the X5.

Thanks!
Stew