Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Servotronic as an option?

Anyone know why this is even an option on the X1 28s, other than to try to keep base price as low as possible?

Is this only an option because its a traditional hyd. rack instead of electric?

As I understand, Servotronic is a fancy name for a system which decreases steering boost with vehicle speed, correct me if wrong. Since this feature has been around for a while is it safe to assume that it's desireable to most drivers?

Anyone driven a BMW without Servotronic PS?
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 AM

I'm beginning to wondering whether selecting the Servotronic Option really means selecting the electrically assisted streering instead of the standard hydrollic. The worldwide BMW site indicates that the electric steering in the X1 is part of their efficiency campaign and Servotronic is listed as an option under the EfficientDynamics category.

Is the type of steering system an option in the X1?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
X1s haye hydraulic steering and many find bmw hydraulics heavy at times. servotronic fills in that need for lighter steering for some buyers.

heres more info about servotronic: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I love, love, LOVE the heavy steering feel of the old BMW hydraulic system. I don't need to be able to spin the wheel at a dead stop with my pinky. It was the main deal beaker against Audi for me.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 AM

so, does this option only aid the traditional hydraulic system, or does it hinder it? Either way is the steering system electric or hydraulic? or are they all hydraulic and just the pump is electic or kinetic? which BMWs have this new electic pump? I'm lost, help. So is the X1 being offered with the same steering as as the F30s? FWIW, I see that Servotronic is a non-delete Standard for the F30. thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: Camero GT
I'm trying to find that out as well. I don't think anyone knows at this point, but I, too, believe that choosing Servotronic will result in you getting the electronic steering instead of the hydraulic steering since Servotronic is standard on the xDrive35i and that car has electronic steeing listed.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 PM

It's now clear to me that the Servotronic is just a speed sensitive option of the hydraulic system. I don't think the US X1 is equipped with the electric steering even in the 35i Xdrive, otherwise it would be noted and marketed as a energy savings measure.

Still not sure why Servotronic is an option, other than the fact that it was a way to cut cost. It's standard on every other US BMW. On the ROW X1, it is an option as well, so maybe some don't feel the need for extra boost at low speed given the X1s relative light weight.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 AM

The X1 xDrive35i has electric power steering with Servotronic, not hydraulic steering as per "model highlights" on the BMW "build your own" website. Just got this email from my sales associate. I hope this helps:

Ron,

Can you please forward this email to ***** at your Center?

N20 sDrive28i has Electric Power Steering (Servotronic is available as an option)

N20 xDrive28i has Hydraulic Steering System (Servotronic is available as an option)

N55 xDrive35i comes with Servotronic (standard)

Servotronic does not make it electric power steering.

Thanks,

BMW of North America, LLC

Tim Eenigenburg

Area Manager / Area 47

Central Region

498 East Commerce Drive

Schaumburg, IL 60173

Tel: 224-938-3523

Fax: 201-205-1415

Mail: timothy.eenigenburg@bmwna.com

Web: bmwusa.com
3 Series (F30)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM

sounds peculiar that the steering in the N20s would differ btwn the S and Xdrives. Electric Power Steering is only advertised for the x35 X1 on the BMW USA site, so I'm still holding hope that the Sdrive will also have hydraulic.

The reason Servotronic is standard in the x35 is because it's mostly software and almost free to implement. Servotronic has been standard on recent BMW hydraulic systems so I'm not sure why they are charging for it as an option now. Perhaps they are phasing this part out and it's more costly to purchase smaller quantities. Also not sure why they are offering hydraulic at all if they electric is more efficient. Don't get me wrong, but from a business perspective there must be something driving the persistance of hydraulic. Perhaps EPS is marginally more expensive and they still have hydraulic parts to consume. The E84 was developed with hydraulic, so it's a no brainer to continue if it makes sense for them financially. Maybe they are saving the boost in fuel economy for the next model year. I bet all E84 X1 steering will go electric before the model comes to an end.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM

My theory is that BMW is marketing the X1 heavily towards women, who will all be choosing Servotronic as an option over the non-Servo hydraulic steering. After looking at all the youtube videos posted by various magazine editors during their test drive of the X1 up to and around the New York Auto Show in April, I noticed that BMW did not bring over a Servotronic X1 N20 engine for them to test out. All of them then had similar complaints that the steering is too heavy. Good or bad marketing ploy by BMW I'll let you be the judge of that. As for my part, I added Servotronic (a $250 option) to my order.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
I'm trying to find that out as well. I don't think anyone knows at this point, but I, too, believe that choosing Servotronic will result in you getting the electronic steering instead of the hydraulic steering since Servotronic is standard on the xDrive35i and that car has electronic steeing listed.
It does sound that way to me as well.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: German
If I ever get an X1, I will never get the Servotronic steering. I enjoy the old BMW steering too much
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The steering seems to be a big point of confusion. The X1 sDrive 28i gets EPS, the X1 xDrive 28i and 35i get hydraulic. There isn't room under the car for both the EPS and the front diff. The EPS rack is massive with the attached motor so it makes sense that it is simply in the way.

This is 100% confirmed. We just test drove a 2013 X1 xDrive 35i with hydraulic steering. You can see the PS fluid reservoir in the foreground and the PS pump in the background.

BMW x1 steering

Bimmerfest.com BMW X1 Driving Review
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM

thanks for the confirmation Tim. I guess the BMW USA website is incorrect in stating that the 35i comes with EPS.

Since Servotronic is a cost option for the Sdrive, I wonder what the steering feels like without Servotronic. EPS without Servo is unheard of. IMO, that make the Servotronic option for the Sdrive a rip off since, if there is a difference it's only a change in software.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Guys,

I know Servotronic is an option when you buy but I already go my 2014 X1 x128 last week and kinda feeling that I might have wanted the Servotronic option Is this something that can be added on?

Or is there any other way a BMW service center can loosen the steering atleast a bit?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drockz View Post
Guys,

I know Servotronic is an option when you buy but I already go my 2014 X1 x128 last week and kinda feeling that I might have wanted the Servotronic option Is this something that can be added on?

Or is there any other way a BMW service center can loosen the steering atleast a bit?
There is no way to "loosen" the steering unless Servotronic is just a software change and it's doubtful that a dealer would recode. Make sure your tires are fully inflated as low pressure would cause higher steering effort. If you can handle the slightly rougher ride, go a few PSI above the recommended pressure settings. But just a few as overinflation can be bad for tire life and will cause extra wear on the center of the tread.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There is no way to "loosen" the steering unless Servotronic is just a software change and it's doubtful that a dealer would recode. Make sure your tires are fully inflated as low pressure would cause higher steering effort. If you can handle the slightly rougher ride, go a few PSI above the recommended pressure settings. But just a few as overinflation can be bad for tire life and will cause extra wear on the center of the tread.
Alright, I'm upset that it can't be loosened... but will try that out. Thx
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
In the past, servotronic could be retrofitted. I don't see an X1 kit on realoem.com yet but an E82 or E9x kit may work. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...38&hg=32&fg=95

The steering on our x28i is looser than our 128i. My wife informed me she didn't want servotronic when we ordered. She had come to love the steering feel (she previously drove a numb Accord).

Last edited by nospam; 05-09-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
So how does EPS feel? light on both slow and high speed?? EPS is more fuel efficient than servotronic?

Does EPS mean there is no need for power steering fluid?

Last edited by fb88; 05-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 PM

Yes. EPS is lighter, more fuel effeicient than hydraulic, and doesn't use fluid.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: X!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
So how does EPS feel? light on both slow and high speed?? EPS is more fuel efficient than servotronic?

Does EPS mean there is no need for power steering fluid?
I have an sDrive 28i arriving soon. When I test drove one, it did not have servotronic. My CA said they never order it for stock and he personally had never had anyone order it as an option. But I thought the steering in the EPS sDrive seemed stiff. So I searched some forums about comments on servotronic, found many postive and satisfied, and decided that I wanted a looser feel. so I ordered it. I hope I don't regret it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
You felt the EPS being stiff... do you own a BMW now? I have a E90 2006 330xi and it's stiff compared to 2011 X3. I'd think with EPS they can adjust how loose it is electronically.
Does that mean if you order the servotronic option you are going back to use power steering fluid?
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: X!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
You felt the EPS being stiff... do you own a BMW now? I have a E90 2006 330xi and it's stiff compared to 2011 X3. I'd think with EPS they can adjust how loose it is electronically.
Does that mean if you order the servotronic option you are going back to use power steering fluid?
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html
No, this is my first BMW. It just seemed tight compared to my current car. You don't go back to hydraulic with Servotronic. my sDrive would have EPS w or w/o servotronic. You are right - varying assist electronically is exaclty what you get with EPS/Servotronic/. Without Servotronic, there is no varying of the steering force - it is the same at all speeds. I don't know how Servotronic does its work with Hydraulic systems.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Servotronic is just software programming on the EPS sDrives and different than on the xDrives. I have not compared but reports are that adding servotronic to sDrive EPS actually improves things by tightening steering at speed and keeping things loose at low speed. A precursor to Variable Sport Steering on the F-series.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Re: Servotronic as an option?

With 500 miles in three days here in Europe, I can say I'm very glad I have servotronic. I test drove a 28i without it and I thought it was heavy for tight corners so if I had gone with the 28i I would have got it as an option but I got the 35i with it as standard. On long trips of a few hundred miles in one day in Europe it helps cut down on fatigue and is not too light IMO. On the alpenstrasse with tighter corners it's perfect for fast driving with less force and at 100mph it's tight for autobahn. I might be willing to say it might be a little light in the US that has slower speeds overall but I'm really a fan of it over here.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Edit. Had an unexpected chance to do the "moose" test at 80mph today when a semi swung its cab into the autobahns first lane around an apparently too sharply curved entrance which I was in. About a second of time was all I had to react and the car handled well and the steering was perfect for weighting during the turns. Also at 110mph the wheel felt nice on the Autobahn. I'll pay for the option if I have the choice after just 1300 miles now. I'm glad the 35 comes with it standard. Also comes in handy on so many places with tight corners...

Last edited by edx1; 05-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.