Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740il E38 1995
BMW 740il e38 1995

Hi all I have just joined this great site after reading it for many years.

I have an E38 740il 95 model. I am an old school mechanic so do have some knowledge of cars but I left this industry back in the late eighty's so I am playing catch up.

I purchased my first BMW E38 in 2008 and can say after years of HOLDENS I am very impressed so much so I bought an E32 735i 89 mod and now have a 740il E38 95 that I purchased off ebay it cam with some good gear inc lowered all front & rear bushes and links as well as 20 x 10, 20 x 9 rims also some schnitzer gear.

I drove it from Melbourne to ACT no problems and ran for some time although we had problems with PCV valve after some checks we found out the OSV was the cause of the smoke on start up.

After inspecting the intake manifold and found major build up I decided to replace it and at the same time add an oil catch can until I get all the parts for the OSV change over.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with.

1 After changing the Intake and setting up oil catch can the motor ran quite well. After warm up I turned it off. I decided to take it for a run the car did not start. I checked the spark and fuel pump they are not operating. I have checked all fuses.

It looks there is no signal getting to the DME so I purchased a crank sensor after doing an OHM check and found it to be faulty.

2 I purchased the leads and Carsoft v6.5 to see if would give me the code to as what is wrong but there is only errors shown no codes.

I am hoping for some ideas as I don't have much hair to pull out.

Kind Regards
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
So it's still a crank/no start issue? Did you replace the CPS with Bosch? This car does not like aftermarket sensors. Battery in good shape?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Sounds like problem on my brothers, his turned out to be bad connection to oil level sensor located at the bottom of the oil pan. When he was going through everything (wiggle this and that..snug grounds, etc...he found what seemed totally unrelated fuse blown) I forget the number, believe it was 7.5 amp for oil sensor and one other item. Car would crank like crazy, but not start. Fixed the connection and all is well since.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Hi All

After going back to basics I found that the spark plug I used to test was faulty as I made the mistake of using an old plug idiot. With spark led me back to fuel or air it turns out it was a loose wire on the fuel relay although if I had not pulled out the hole bracket I would never of found it.

Thanks for your input

Regards
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Thank you for sharing. Great news for you...learning again for all of us.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM

E38 740il reversing sensor

Hi all I have problem with my reversing sensors on my E38 740il 95 model they beeb for 3 seconds then go off and the light flashes.
I have checked the forum and done the listen for clicking which all seem to be doing there job the sound for the beep is coming from the rear so does this mean that it is the rear that is faulty.
Also is there a measurement that can be done with a multimeter.
Regards
Showpony