Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
It really depends on the MY because BMW changes or shuffle and adds stuffs.

At MY 13, I got the Msport and added the sport suspension which comes with the pkg unless u say you want the normal ones.
Many people have been confused about this point—just search this and other forums for extensive discussions of the topic (try searching for "sport suspension delete"). The source of the confusion is that sport suspension has not been offered in the US market for the X3. (Some speculate that BMW believes that Americans prefer a softer ride, and/or that a firmer suspension would not be a good match to the relatively poor condition of our roads). Note that in markets where M Sport includes the sport suspension by default, there is an option to delete it on the build if the buyer wants a softer suspension. In the US, the decision has been made for us, and BMWUSA indicates this omission with the item "225 Sport Suspension Delete" on the price sheet for the package. But we do have the option to include the Dynamic Handling Package to the build to add dynamic dampers to the suspension.

The only change for the 2014 model is that the Build page on BMWUSA is now clearer about what you get. It now explicitly says "standard suspension" instead of "sport suspension delete".
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The 2014 X3 have the adaptive suspension as a stand alone option. The M-sport package no longer improve handling. if I were buying today, I would bypass the MSport package for $3000 and go straight for the adaptive suspension. Like many have said in other threads, if I were looking for a vehicle that handles well, I would get a sedan, not an SUV.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I saw the Estoril Blue II paint in person on the weekend... OMG it is beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 M Sport View Post
M Sport PKG just looks better IMO. Interior upgrades really sets it off from the Sport Line PKG . Its an extra $3,850 option, but I just had to have it. The M Sport exclusive Estoril Blue II paint was a big help too; just look at it when the sun hits it! Beautiful...
__________________________________________________ ____________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i M Sport.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
Pros and Cons of M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anf***228;nger View Post
Many people have been confused about this point-just search this and other forums for extensive discussions of the topic (try searching for "sport suspension delete"). The source of the confusion is that sport suspension has not been offered in the US market for the X3. (Some speculate that BMW believes that Americans prefer a softer ride, and/or that a firmer suspension would not be a good match to the relatively poor condition of our roads). Note that in markets where M Sport includes the sport suspension by default, there is an option to delete it on the build if the buyer wants a softer suspension. In the US, the decision has been made for us, and BMWUSA indicates this omission with the item "225 Sport Suspension Delete" on the price sheet for the package. But we do have the option to include the Dynamic Handling Package to the build to add dynamic dampers to the suspension.

The only change for the 2014 model is that the Build page on BMWUSA is now clearer about what you get. It now explicitly says "standard suspension" instead of "sport suspension delete".
I had it physically confirmed both by my surprise after a weekend demo in an standard suspension and my dealer that my m-sport has a stiffer ride. Was a bummer when sales told me the suspensions are the same before I signed the papers. Definitely get a pros opinion. Mine is MY13. To get the suspension changed costs around $3K.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
I have a 14. I also went with M Sport and the adaptive suspension. I looked at this option is great detail but in the end, I liked the add-ons from the M Sport, which are mostly cosmetic but this is my "dream car" so I thought - what the heck!

- body sides are in the same color....no rough black borders on the tail or around the wheels
- Carbon Black Metallic!!!
- The M rims
- The M steering wheel
- M trim pieces in the door steps
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
I had it physically confirmed both by my surprise after a weekend demo in an standard suspension and my dealer that my m-sport has a stiffer ride. Was a bummer when sales told me the suspensions are the same before I signed the papers. Definitely get a pros opinion. Mine is MY13. To get the suspension changed costs around $3K.

They both have the same suspension and the same part numbers. The stiffer ride might be due to the 19" tires.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
One man's Pro is another man's Con so to speak.

I went with the M package for the seats, steering wheel, rims, black trim, and external aggressive looks that would match the acceleration. In my case, I wanted an aggressive look for the X3 equivalent to the GTS package for the Cayenne. I wasn't looking for an aggressive suspension as I'm not going to be pushing the X3 to it's limit on curves. With the stock suspension, I've found it plenty capable of nearly doubling the recommended speed limit on curves. This is as far as I ever need to push an SUV.

As far as Cons, other than the price, I would say the sports seats. I knew the bolsters make entering and exiting more challenging, however I was willing to accept it for the additional support you get. I've got two other vehicles with sports seats with even more pronounced bolsters. I enter and leave the vehicle by slightly lifting myself up and over the bolster. Some may not want to do this regularly and consider it a negative, but I'm used to it. If you don't lift yourself over the bolster, you will find sliding across every day wears them down faster than other parts of the seat. Look at any vehicle with large bolsters that's more than 3 or 4 years old and you will see most of the wear pattern is on the bolsters. I've been able to avoid this on my other cars by doing exactly as described above.

Another Con is the fender flares and sharp edges on the M bumpers make polishing and taping it off more difficult. Again, I knew this going in and was willing to accept it.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport

Last edited by bimmernut1; 05-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
Pros and Cons of M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
They both have the same suspension and the same part numbers. The stiffer ride might be due to the 19" tires.
I think offhand that realoem.com doesn't agree? I suppose two authorized service shops would charge me $3K to make my suspension "stock," but I hope not. I do see the majority of posts say there is no suspension difference. I also notice a difference when I drive X3 loaners.

Not much mention of how fun the paddle shifters are!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post

Not much mention of how fun the paddle shifters are!

I had many cars with paddle shifters, they are fun for a few months and then they are hardly use. I am from the old school of, if you want to shift your gears, get a standard, not a automatic with manual mode.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM
BMWX3

Mein Auto: X3
Hated the Sport Seats

I stayed away from the M Sport package -- hated the sport seats, which felt like they were squeezing the sides of my back. The actual bottom of the seat that you sit on, however, did seem more spongy (i.e., comfortable) than the regular seats. I'm pretty thin, but have some back problems, so perhaps I notice the effect of the "squeeze" more than others. Maybe it's a sign I need to go on a diet!

I also didn't like the really thick steering wheel. The X5 steering wheel actually seems like the perfect diameter for me--unfortunately, the X3 doesn't have a similar choice. The whole M-sports car wanna be concept kind of turned me off. I mean really...if you want a sports-car, get one...if you want an SUV, you're not getting a vehicle that performs like a sports-car. Yeah, a tighter suspension will allow one SUV to corner better than another SUV, but even in your dreams it's not close to cornering in a BMW sports car or even a low-end sports car.

Frankly, if I want to drive a sport-car, I drive my Boxster (which has the most uncomfortable seats in existence--made for people in Europe who are 5'4" or something) -- corners like its on rails, paddle shifters and its engine sounds can't be beat! Of course, you are seated like 2 feet closer to the pavement than in an SUV, too.

Loved the Dynamic Handling Package though...so I ordered that without the M-Sport. The improved steering, suspension and engine control really makes a difference in comfort and the driving experience.