Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2005 X3 Vinyl Seat Issue

Couple years ago, I noticed two rips on my driver seat, not caused by any sharp object. One on of the side of the seat (on top of the buttons) and one on the surface (on the vinyl part, no leatherette). Obviously, the warranty has expired then but the rips really bothered me (I always take good care of it). I took it to a shop and replaced the who drive seat cover, I was happy until last month when I noticed the same two rips appeared again!

Anyone else also experience the same problem?

Does BMW have warranty of their parts? I still have the invoice of the fix and the shop will be gladly providing me the original invoice if needed.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 550i Sport, '07 X3
If the cover that the shop put on it was a BMW part purchased from BMW, there may be a 1-2 year warranty given it was installed correctly and such. Otherwise, no, BMW won't warranty someone else's work and/or fabric.

I don't actually know if that particular part has a warranty though, you would have to call them probably.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
how much did you pay the first time to replace the cover? Mine is cracking on one side
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalbimmerfans View Post
Anyone else also experience the same problem?
I think just about anyone with the '04 -'06 Sensatc gets the cracked left panel on the driver seat sooner or later.

Some got it replaced within the warranty period - presumably those that were in and out of the seat a lot before 50K miles hit.

From '07 on, the Sensatec was changed to have those side panels in the same textured material as the middle of the seat. More durable, and looks better.

I think the idea of the silkier material for the side panels in the '04 - '06 models was that it would be more functional.
Didn't turn out that way.

Mine didn't start cracking until about 70K miles or 7 years.

Unfortunately, a replacement cover has to be ordered from Germany, and the price has doubled in the last few years.

I have seen some really bad examples of the problem, and it doesn't do much for the brand image.
BMW AG might be smart to make replacement covers available at a subsidized cost.

As often noted here, a 2004 X3 can still look like a new car externally, but if it costs more than a couple of hundred dollars to get the driver seat looking as it should, it's not likely to get done.

Here's an older thread on the issue: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=359053
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on my '06 as well. Started cracking around 80K now small pieces are coming off showing the fabric backing and it looks shoddy. Cracks all along the driver's side bolster but the non sensatech material is just fine. I actually liked the stuff at first, the smooth finish made it easy to slide in and out. Should have gotten leather. Too bad that BMW chose not to use quality material in their X3's (along with the cheap plastic drive dogs etc.). I have to say that compared to quality vinyl like Mer-Tex or BMW's own older seat covers this stuff is junk.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thanks for info

Thanks for the responses! I am just very upset about the low quality of these seats.

Anyone able to get them replaced by the dealer after the warranty period?