Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740il
navigation help and other e38 issues

I pulled my mk 2 navigation computer out of my trunk and bid for a new one on ebay. The radio still kicks off after 3 minutes and today I saw my first check coolant message. What I'm thinking is that the 12 year old nav system sucks but a replacement computer will allow me put in the time and date give me the ability to review all of the other automotive functions on the display.

So far my drivers side door handle is falling off; my gas cap was leaking; cigar lighter in front isn't working. The glove box latch is not working the cup holders (we all know about them) and there is a rattling sound like the springs on an old sofa on occasion as I'm driving. I just bought the car 1,500 miles ago from an infinity dealer who changed the oil and checked breaks fluids etc anybody gt any ideas what the noise is?
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Welcome to the world of E38's. Where is the rattle coming from. Personally, I have had a squeak that ended up being from the emergency brake cable near the rear axle. I have a rattle on start up from a loose baffle in one of my mufflers. When my cats went, they had a rattle/knock to them.

If you reach behind the glove box, straight back from the handle, there is a cable. It may have a sponge type sheath on it. Pull it back towards the firewall to open your glove box. Some are fixable. $$$$ if not. Even used ones go for $100.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM

thanks

i had the glove box open once found the nav manual dealers says the lock parts will be 300. the ashtray box is 200 so i wont smoke or wear gloves until I get help on ebay LOL
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Exclamation Update on my E38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiaboats View Post
i had the glove box open once found the nav manual dealers says the lock parts will be 300. the ashtray box is 200 so i wont smoke or wear gloves until I get help on ebay LOL
I got a replacement nav computer from ebay Thanks for all the great postings on this forum it was plug and play. DSP Radio and radio and navigation is now cured working find.

I read that I wss using the wrong type of anti-freeze (Walmart special) so I took car to the dealer for a flush of the coolant and to reset my service engine soon light.

BMW dealer says my serpentine belt is cracked and will be falling apart, could break any minute and needs to be replaced. I have a problem believing him.

I bought my E38 from an Infiniti dealer who gave me free roadside assistance as long as I own the car . Infiniti also did a written safety inspection and service of the car before I drove it away. Belts were listed as good 3,000 miles ago.

Dealer wants $320.00 to install this $26.00 belt. Also charged me $225 to change anti-freeze. $24 was parts. Dealer recommended that I have my system pressure tested I thought that would happen before the fush...just to make sure nothing was leaking
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Update:
I had the belts replaced by a reputable mechanic $175.00 he infomed me that my coolant leak problem was being caused by the crack in my expansion tank $120.00 part at dealer...$50.00 on ebay.
Car is in great condition otherwise. I am now gonna look for ashtray rear cup holder and other such nonsense
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '96 740iL
Sounds like you are moving right along. Belts are not difficult to replace is you DIY at all. There is a write up on e38.org but it has an unnecessary step. You do not have to remove the fan. A novice could easily replace both in less than an hour. Just something to keep in mind down the road.

Expansion tanks are a common failure as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Has anybody ever replaced front trim?

My front left bumper trim (black) needs to be replaced. How do I get the headlamp washers off so I can pop out the damaged piece?