Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Saab
Doubtful the 2014 has side bolsters

I find it unfortunately doubtful that the 2014 lci has the adjustable side bolsters that were hoped for. Although the pics show them its likely an European only seat. I say this because the press release talks up such small interior improvements like aluminum trim on the nag and deeper cup holders and center storage. Surely they would mention new seats if they talk up such small items.
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
If you consider this car and are concerned about the sportiness of the seats, steering and suspension I think it will pay off to be patient for another year and wait for the new M3. Yes, it will be turbocharged and it may get EPS but it will also be close to 1000lbs lighter than the F10 and the M5. I think the M-division is unhappy with being tasked to build 4000+ lbs luxo boats and the lukewarm reception they deserverdly get from the press. I think they want to restore order of being seen as god's gift to the car enthusiast and the M3 being the pinnacle of BMW sports ambitions. It will be awesome, bet on it.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
If you consider this car and are concerned about the sportiness of the seats, steering and suspension I think it will pay off to be patient for another year and wait for the new M3. Yes, it will be turbocharged and it may get EPS but it will also be close to 1000lbs lighter than the F10 and the M5. I think the M-division is unhappy with being tasked to build 4000+ lbs luxo boats and the lukewarm reception they deserverdly get from the press. I think they want to restore order of being seen as god's gift to the car enthusiast and the M3 being the pinnacle of BMW sports ambitions. It will be awesome, bet on it.
you might be right. hope its great too!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: Myself Crazy
This is from the US training site.

We are pleased to announce enhancements to the following options for MY2014:

2TB Sport automatic transmission (F10 only)
Now includes Launch Control functionality

322 Comfort access keyless entry
Now includes smart-closing functionality in addition to smart-opening. This allows you to conveniently close the trunk using a kicking motion below the rear bumper. This is particularly useful when carrying large objects or when you have your hands full.

456 Multi-contour seats
Now include electrically adjustable side bolsters

4UR Ambient lighting
Now includes customizable lighting color choice of Classic Orange or LED White

609 Navigation system (standard)
Includes iDrive controller with touchpad

610 Head-Up Display
Now displays radio stations, music lists, telephone lists
Lane Departure Warning activation lines no longer shown

6FH Rear-seat entertainment Professional
New and more modern free-standing monitor design

Leatherette upholstery has been re-named to BMW SensaTec (standard on 528i models):
K8DF Venetian Beige SensaTec upholstery
K8SW Black SensaTec upholstery
Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
It is very nice to see that BMW listens to their enthusiast customers even if sales numbers tell the story that they don't really have to. The adjustable side bolsters, the steering and the suspension are enthusiasts complaints that the volume of buyers probably have no complaints or much clue about. It seems that they are not going to fall into the trap of arrogance and turn their back at their biggest fans. Now, let's hope it's not just empty talk but significant upgrades. I'm done with the F10 of all flavors including the M5 but I'm very happy to see this, it also make me even more optimistic about the new M3. That it either will have a very good EPS or hydraulic steering and that BMW will not stubbornly force a crappy EPS on it.

Last edited by solstice; 05-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Good for BMW. That is a significant change. I recently sat in the 6 seats in a 650 droptop and a 6 Gran Coupe and man they are SO much better.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kra808 View Post

We are pleased to announce enhancements to the following options for MY2014:

2TB Sport automatic transmission (F10 only)
Now includes Launch Control functionality

Now includes smart-closing functionality in addition to smart-opening. This allows you to conveniently close the trunk using a kicking motion below the rear bumper. This is particularly useful when carrying large objects or when you have your hands full.

456 Multi-contour seats
Now include electrically adjustable side bolsters

4UR Ambient lighting
Now includes customizable lighting color choice of Classic Orange or LED White

609 Navigation system (standard)
Includes iDrive controller with touchpad

610 Head-Up Display
Now displays radio stations, music lists, telephone lists
Lane Departure Warning activation lines no longer shown

6FH Rear-seat entertainment Professional
New and more modern free-standing monitor design

Leatherette upholstery has been re-named to BMW SensaTec (standard on 528i models):
K8DF Venetian Beige SensaTec upholstery
K8SW Black SensaTec upholstery
Great find! How did you find this info? Really happy to hear this. Sol- I hear you on the F10, I hope the steering is improved, we will have to wait and see. If it is better I am willing to jump back in for another try! If not that much improved thinking used '13 M5.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I tend to agree that no matter how much I like the F10 (which is a lot), I won't be able to pull the trigger on one until I see and drive the F80.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 05-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
Doubtful the 2014 has side bolsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Good for BMW. That is a significant change. I recently sat in the 6 seats in a 650 droptop and a 6 Gran Coupe and man they are SO much better.
They are. But don't forget the hefty price premium they carry....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Myself Crazy
I got the info from a friend. BMW has an internal training site for US CA's. There is a bunch more info he sent me, but it won't format correctly for this site. Here's another couple of snippets.

F10 LCI Driving Dynamics

To further improve the handling and driving dynamics of the 5 Series Sedan, the following enhancements have been made for the LCI:

New suspension application to improve ride comfort over poor road surfaces
Front and rear dampers stiffened to reduce body roll and improve handling
New software setup designed to make steering and handling more precise

LCI Changes - Exterior

F10

Kidney re-designed with emphasized shark-nose effect

Revised front and rear bumper

Re-designed rear LED tail lights (thin blade technology for F10)

LED turn signal indicators integrated in side view mirrors

Insulation added to doors for improved acoustics and reduced wind noise

Optional LED Headlights (available in Lighting Package
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I got the info from a friend. BMW has an internal training site for US CA's. There is a bunch more info he sent me, but it won't format correctly for this site. Here's another couple of snippets.

F10 LCI Driving Dynamics

To further improve the handling and driving dynamics of the 5 Series Sedan, the following enhancements have been made for the LCI:

LCI Changes - Exterior

F10

Kidney re-designed with emphasized shark-nose effect

Revised front and rear bumper

Re-designed rear LED tail lights (thin blade technology for F10)

LED turn signal indicators integrated in side view mirrors

Insulation added to doors for improved acoustics and reduced wind noise

Optional LED Headlights (available in Lighting Package
Wow! thats great info thanks, keep it coming!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M5
2014 bmw m5 side bolsters

The 2014 BMW M5 does have adjustable side boslters. No ifs, buts, ands or maybes. It does have them because I test drove one of them today and sure enough, they are there.

Which is just as well because I ordered one a month ago and did so based on information from BWM North America.

The guessing game is over. It is now a simple fact.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
[QUOTE=kra808;7599700]I got the info from a friend. BMW has an internal training site for US CA's. There is a bunch more info he sent me, but it won't format correctly for this site. Here's another couple of snippets.

F10 LCI Driving Dynamics

Love this.

The 2014 5 series does feel tighter: steering and handling. Stiffer suspension and more feedback.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 10-19-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
[QUOTE=kra808;7598964]This is from the US training site.

"We are pleased to announce enhancements to the following options for MY2014:

Now includes smart-closing functionality in addition to smart-opening. This allows you to conveniently close the trunk using a kicking motion below the rear bumper. This is particularly useful when carrying large objects or when you have your hands full. "

I thought the idea was to stuff the body in the trunk before closing it.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
[QUOTE=raleedy;7907349]
Quote:

"We are pleased to announce enhancements to the following options for MY2014:

Now includes smart-closing functionality in addition to smart-opening. This allows you to conveniently close the trunk using a kicking motion below the rear bumper. This is particularly useful when carrying large objects or when you have your hands full. "

I thought the idea was to stuff the body in the trunk before closing it.
This functionality is for when you *remove* the body so you don't have to put it down or have a free hand in order to close the trunk
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 10-19-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhinog View Post
The 2014 BMW M5 does have adjustable side boslters. No ifs, buts, ands or maybes. It does have them because I test drove one of them today and sure enough, they are there.

Which is just as well because I ordered one a month ago and did so based on information from BWM North America.

The guessing game is over. It is now a simple fact.

Yes, standard in the M5 and 550 and an option in the rest of the F10 lineup (multi-contour seats).
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 10-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.