Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
That should be a sealed battery that does not require water. That said, some of the "sealed" batteries do have caps you can pry off and add water, but you should not need to.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330CIC
Battery died in my 03 330 CIC yesterday. Found this thread and it saved me hundreds. Stealership wanted 3-5 hundred bucks for new battery. I bought the Autozone Duralast 94R for $144. Installed in under 5 minutes. Better Battery (900+CCA), better warranty (8yr).
Just wanted to say thank you!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Vert
Ok. I read for two months while I replaced some rear suspension parts. And here's my experience for those that need help. I have an '05 M3 'Vert Black/Black 6 spd. The 49dl in East Tennessee was $94 plus tax. The 94R was $149 + tax. $177 and change. The dealer was $175 even...wholesale. I bought the 94R. Note the 49DL won't fit the 'Verts. No middle clamp. Instead, a bottom clamp on the negative end with a vibration reduced tray. I tried to fit the 49 and it was 3 inches too long. For those of you unwilling to research, Duralast is produced by Optima who is owned by Johnson Controls which I understand is who developed the AGM battery in the first place. Why they chose Autozone for their marketing group is beyond me. Not the most impressive auto stores to do business with. That said the batteries are not cheap. I bought it because of what I read about Johnson Controls and Optima. You must ask for the vent kit because sometimes they get separated from the batteries. Be aware. Otherwise, I think battery registration with the AGM batteries began with the '08 year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compusatman View Post
Otherwise, I think battery registration with the AGM batteries began with the '08 year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It began with the new E90 series in MY 2006.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
It began with the new E90 series in MY 2006.
Alan...my understanding is that the "AGM" cars have to be regestered at a dealer so the charging system can understand what battery is being charged and modify the charging characteristics thereof. Have you figured out how to configure a new battery to your computer? If so, then please elaborate. I haven't found anyone in any other forum who can do this outside of the dealer. TIA.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compusatman View Post
Alan...my understanding is that the "AGM" cars have to be regestered at a dealer so the charging system can understand what battery is being charged and modify the charging characteristics thereof. Have you figured out how to configure a new battery to your computer? If so, then please elaborate. I haven't found anyone in any other forum who can do this outside of the dealer. TIA.
I do not know of any way to register a new battery other than going to the dealer or finding someone (independent shop or private party) with the software to do it. I did not mean to imply I could.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

This aftermarket software can be used to register a battery.

Again, this is only on 2006 MY and up E9X. Not required for E46.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Just a note about battery replacement through AAA. They have a mobile battery replacement service - they'll come out and check out your charging system and battery health. They came out to my dead 2003 330i and verified a bad battery and a good charging system. They offered a 6 yr prorated battery (AAA branded) for $140. He had no problem with me declining that offer, and I bought the 49DL at Autozone ($95, 7 yr proration) and it fit perfectly (non-convertible 330i). They AAA guy was very helpful with several comments about battery removal (removing the plastic battery cover w/o cracking it was worth the call).

I also hooked up my battery charger to the under-hood jumping posts to keep the car computers alive while swapping. No problem.

The AAA guy also noted that I had to "register the battery". But it sounds like I don't need to on the E46...

Last edited by unrathm; 06-12-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrathm View Post
The AAA guy also noted that I had to "register the battery". But it sounds like I don't need to on the E46...
You are correct.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E46 M3
Excellent help here. Short story, car 4 years old, sat in garage over long weekend, trouble starting this morning, dead this afternoon after work, rolled down a hill and dropped the clutch to get it started as no one was around to jump me, searched on my phone and found this thread on the way home! Stopped at Autozone and picked up the DL49 for $95 and installed it (they do list the DL48 in the book, which is likely a size issue and is much smaller. The DL49 is about 0.5 inches longer than the OEM but easily fits, used the connector in the OEM and attached to the vent tube on the new DL49 and then clamped it all down without any issues). In the end, saving $200+ AND went from 640 CCA to 1000 CCA (the DL48 is 850 CCA). Nice tip.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercase_jt View Post
So i had my battery replaced. i gave the tech my radio card to for the radio.
The radio works fine but the clock won't hold the time.

Every time i turn the car on i get the --:-- display and no matter how many times i set the clock, as soon as i turn off the engine, the clock goes dead.

Same for the trip odometer, MPG calc, etc..

Any ideas?
I have the same thing - a 2002 with only 35,000 & all of a sudden the car won't start. All dash lights go on & there's a clicking. Never had problems before - no warning - didn't leave lights on. Towed it to a guy who replaced the battery not an OEM - driving it back noticed there's a dead space instead of the clock and the odometer is giving me that same display as the guy above said. Clock never came on and also when I shut the radio it shows ___AM____ all the time its off in red letters - even if the radio was on FM. What's going on? It wasn't a BMW dealer that replaced the battery. I don't see an answer to that guy's problem either.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Quality

Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Mein Auto: 330i
FTW add to the list

EXIDE 94r-8 Platinum 8

875CCA
8y-limited manu/3y-full manu/64months-in store no questions
$129 - $5 for core
no fit issues and a direct oem replacement

For me Warranty was way more IMPORTANT than CCA stats when choosing a battery.
The EXIDE 94r-8 gives the best warranty I ever seen for a battery. It also includes Free 3 Year Roadside Assistance and Jump Starting Service.

More important than that I like my batteries like I like my coffee...milky white. :P

Even the OEM Breather Valve and Red Positive Terminal Protection Cap directly swaps over to the new Exide 8 battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
FYI:

Sears
International
765CCA
3y/8y (prorated)
$145

Autozone Duralast
49-DL
850CCA
2y/5y (prorated)
$95 + $5 core

94-RDLG (Gold) *told that this would fit my '04 325i
730CCA
3y/5y (prorated)
$145 + $5 core

I'm doing some research on this - thinking preventative

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 09-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:32 AM
NAVY O

Send a message via Yahoo to edavid
Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Dealership or sink

Someone help. My car battery died and the dealer wants 320 to replace the battery, telling me that the battery is 229.00 and 100 to reset the computer. What computer? I notice others have replaced thier batteries without mentioning a computer. Can I go to Autozone and have them install a new battery? Car: 2004 BMW 525i
Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavid View Post
Someone help. My car battery died and the dealer wants 320 to replace the battery, telling me that the battery is 229.00 and 100 to reset the computer. What computer? I notice others have replaced thier batteries without mentioning a computer. Can I go to Autozone and have them install a new battery? Car: 2004 BMW 525i
2004+ MY 5-series has a "battery registration" that should be performed on the cars computer by the dealer.

You can read more about it here. There is conflicting opinion whether this is really needed or not.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
thanks OP for the great post! i had resigned myself to paying $300 for Dinan to replace my battery tomorrow morning (already had inspection I service scheduled), but at 9pm, decided to jump online to research batteries, when I came across this post. Raced down to the nearest Autozone before they closed and picked up a 49-DL, drove to my office garage where my 2003 330i was parked with the dead OEM battery, swapped out the batteries, and the car started up perfectly! thanks for saving me $200!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: ST1300 ABS
Replacement Battery

Forget the 49-DL replacements...

Based on threads I saw before, I did a lot of calling around for prices, including the NAPA that I have been using (small town) for about 25 years - all prices I found for the 94R were about 144-148 - but a call to Wally World (and the requisite time on hold - must - hold - fist - of - death...) indicated they had a 94R for 88. Then we went to Sam's club - exact same battery for 84 + tax. Same CCA, 3 year replacement, 8 year prorated - just like the rest...

Saved enough to pay for the annual membership, plus enough left over for a 5 gal pail of pickles....

Jay
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 AM

That is a good price. Plus, who doesn't like pickles.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Alan, thanks!

My batt was having problems during the cold over the last two years but this year it finally gave up. Researched and found your post and just had to thank you. I thought I was stuck with a $150 batt from BMW (or the 94R from Autozone for same price). Now it cranks like it's starting a Toyota 4cyl.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
I am not in the possession of certified facts, but the truth is most batteries that are of average quality will give reasonable service of from 4 to 6 years. The longer life batteries are just selling a longer term warrantee. Money you give them when you buy it you get back in 5 years if they are still in business. Its also serves as a way to get you back for another one, you are hooked. Just buy the one in the middle, it is usually a safe bet. An option is you could judge the life and quality by the weight. That is my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: Cadillac srx
Replacement issues with locks and codes

Interesting thread. On a different forum, I am seeing a lot of issues regarding other BMW models where the codes, keyless entry, radio settings, etc. are all out of whack when doing a self install of a battery. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadster View Post
Interesting thread. On a different forum, I am seeing a lot of issues regarding other BMW models where the codes, keyless entry, radio settings, etc. are all out of whack when doing a self install of a battery. Anyone else having this problem?
Beginnning of this year I replaced my battery on my '04 330i with no problems.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadster View Post
I have done self battery replacements on a 2000 and a 2003 E46 and neither had any of those problems. If those codes are getting lost by a battery replacement, I think something else is going on.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
FTW add to the list

EXIDE 94r-8 Platinum 8

875CCA
8y-limited manu/3y-full manu/64months-in store no questions
$129 - $5 for core
no fit issues and a direct oem replacement

For me Warranty was way more IMPORTANT than CCA stats when choosing a battery.
The EXIDE 94r-8 gives the best warranty I ever seen for a battery. It also includes Free 3 Year Roadside Assistance and Jump Starting Service.

More important than that I like my batteries like I like my coffee...milky white. :P

Even the OEM Breather Valve and Red Positive Terminal Protection Cap directly swaps over to the new Exide 8 battery.

Thank you. Nice job.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig29 View Post
Freaky.

My battery seems to have died today. It was slow cranking yesterday but today it was a no go.

I guess I will be driving to autozone today.

Anybody knows if the battery is a maintenance item? I have extended maint.
So 6.5 years later my Autozone battery died. It had 7 year warranty so I went back to Autozone.
Actually I called them first, asked if they had 49-DL. They didn't. They asked for the car model and said that they had some "94X" for a low low price of $150. I wasn't going to pay that much but I went to Autozone just in case.
On the shelf I found the 94X but next to it was "H8-DL". The sizes were similar. On the label it said that the size was 49, same as my old battery. I had them compare the sizes of the 2 and they were identical. The new battery was $120. Actually the label on the shelf said $120 but when they scanned it, the price was $130. I got it for $120 because of the tag. The old one (49DL) was $60 back in 2007. I still had a balance of $6 on the warranty which they gave me. The new warranty is much much worse. It's only 2 yr replacement, nothing after that. I got it anyway. It ended up being a little taller so to be able to lock the clamp on top I had to rip out the little white piece of plastic on the bottom of the battery compartment. The new battery didn't have the spout for venting, just a hole, so I was not able to connect the venting tube.

I am not happy with the increase in pricing and reduction in warranty. I think it's dumb on the AZ part. Because of the warranty on the old battery they got me in the store buying a new one and it cost them all of $6. Now, if the car lasts long enough for this battery to die, I will buy the next one elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Re: E46 Replacement Battery Info Here

Sounds like you got a raw deal on the wrong battery. Hooking up the vent tube is very important as the battery vents gases that you don't want building up on your trunk or cabin.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330 Convertible
Electrical problems caused by battery?

i just bought a 2002 330 conv with about 100k and in overall excellent shape. After i picked it up from a body shop that did a repaint I immediately had electrical issues such as:
1. A/C didn't kick on, temp and fan indicators work but no air came out and the compressor never came on. It eventually just kicked on after about 10 minutes and has worked since
2. The top wouldn't go up at all and like the A/C, it eventually worked again after 15 minutes.
3. Tried to open the locks and trunk with the remote and nothing happened (trunk release and console lock switch also would not work) and eventually worked after a while.
4. Belt light flashes even with all belts connected. That issue and the computer showing "--:--" were there before taking it to the body shop however.
5. I didn't dare try anything else in case the bug traveled to other systems

After reading probably 200 posts regarding electrical issues, I wanted to rule out the battery before trying to find frayed/wet/loose wires. The one it has is an Autocraft (see pic) that has a 3/13 sticker on it. Although it's new, is it a correct one for my car and if not, could it be the cause of my random issues? I had a 2001 530 that had some body work done as well and the shop didn't trickle charge the battery and it had to be replaced. The replacement aftermarket one caused all sorts of issues including locking up my transmission and putting it in limp mode. I too was told by the dealer that the computer has to be reset to recognize the new battery and I had the body shop pay for a BMW battery and for the reset and it worked perfectly for another year until I sold it. so maybe there is some truth to it. I've driven the 330 only 3 times since i got it so I have no idea if the body shop did something like getting something wet or if the problems would have still been there even if I didn't take it to them. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autocraft.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	389760