Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Frenchy

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Please Help someone!! Transmission issue.

Okay so I finished doing my Fluid and Filter change. But now I don't remember how to reset everything.

I have the Transmission Error on the iDrive along with Increased emissions, and cruise Control.

Okay so now I'm only able to reverse, park and drive, but it doesn't feel like it shifting through the gears. It feels like its staying in Second gear all the time. I figured that it was due to the fact that the adaptions needed to be reset, but when i open my INPALOADER program, select E60, Transmission, and Gearbox, i get an error. so it leads me to belive that theres something wrong with the program. im 99.99% sure i connected the one and only wire harness back correctly, since it can only go on one way and it has a notch that it has so its connected correctly. I dont even think that i would have been able to drive let alone shift thru reverse, park and drive if i DIDnt connect it right. again, which leads me to belive theres something wrong with my INPALOADER program possibly. I'm moving in one week, and have to shop my car overseas, but since it doesn't shift out of 2nd gear I can't even drive faster than 15-20mph.

Can someone help me?!?! Please!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Frenchyrider267; 05-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Frenchy

Well, since I had no help from the forum I was forced to bring it to an Indy. Ill post the verdict after its all done. Hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road that may have a similar issue.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
Well, since I had no help from the forum I was forced to bring it to an Indy. Ill post the verdict after its all done. Hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road that may have a similar issue.

I'm sorry to hear about that french, I'm guess no here knows why it was giving you that issue. I hope it's just a software or something minor.

Let us know what happened.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Frenchy

Will do certainly.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Sorry Frenchy, just saw this thread for the first time. Might have to reload the entire progman into your car, if there was an issue with INPA software when loading it while connected to the car it could cause all sorts of problems. I just hope the Transmission Control unit was not bricked, that would be a disaster. Check on the bmwcoding.com forums, maybe someone there has some insight?

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Frenchy

Well, they said they are going to have to keep it overnight. They will call me tomorrow. He said he was having communication problems but he thinks it was just his computer. I'm hoping that he's able to pull off a miracle and fix my car so that I can ship it to Europe. I hate to abandon my Bimmer and still have to pay for it.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Frenchy

Okay, so they are keeping it one more night waiting for,..... Wait for it....... A battery to come in. Really?? A battery??? I had the battery checked and it checked good. We'll have to see tomorrow to see if it really was the issue.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525i
These cars are very sensitive to low battery voltage and will often throw a bunch of seemingly unrelated codes such as the ones you're seeing (transmission, increased emissions, cruise control). It's quite possible that it's the battery. When you start it does it crank more slowly than usual?

Could also be a bad alternator or voltage regulator.

cinergi
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Whe you said, "you are done flushing the fluid and filter", are you talking DIY on trans fluid flush or you are talking engine oil?

The trans flush requires temp control during refill (with engine running), otherwise you could end up underfilling the trans (way underfilling if engine is off).
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Frenchy

Ha! Well, I picked up my car today, drove away, and DING DING DING DING...... Cruise control error, then 5 sec later transmission error again. So obviously it wasn't the battery.
This is a nightmare. I'm going to have to get a power of attorney for someone ship my car. This is rediculous.

I turned right back around pulled into the garage area and said it didn't get fixed. He sighed and then said he will give me a call in a couple of hours. Great. So now it's going to be on day number three.

I just find it hard to believe that I have a problem that is completely unheard of and no one knows anything about. You can't really talk to a BMW dealership cause they just recommend a completely new transmission .... Cause that's what "their manual say."

Last edited by Frenchyrider267; 05-23-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Whe you said, "you are done flushing the fluid and filter", are you talking DIY on trans fluid flush or you are talking engine oil?

The trans flush requires temp control during refill (with engine running), otherwise you could end up underfilling the trans (way underfilling if engine is off).
I did. I filled it till it had a stream leaking out. Then started the car, and then proceeded to fill it the remaining bit while It ran to operating temp as I finished filling until it had a stream leaking out again. I filled up about 6.5 liters. I took out approx 5.5-6 liters.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 525i
So you put in more than you took out? Could it be overfilled now?

cinergi
Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Frenchy

I don't believe so. I believe it was low to begin with. I followed the direction to the 'T'.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Ha! Well, I picked up my car today, drove away, and DING DING DING DING...... Cruise control error, then 5 sec later transmission error again. So obviously it wasn't the battery.
This is a nightmare. I'm going to have to get a power of attorney for someone ship my car. This is rediculous.

I turned right back around pulled into the garage area and said it didn't get fixed. He sighed and then said he will give me a call in a couple of hours. Great. So now it's going to be on day number three.

I just find it hard to believe that I have a problem that is completely unheard of and no one knows anything about. You can't really talk to a BMW dealership cause they just recommend a completely new transmission .... Cause that's what "their manual say."

Did you check on bmwcoding.com forums to see if anyone else had an issue after trying to code the car? I still keep thinking it's programming, not mechanical, mechanical can be troubleshot fairly easily. However, coding is a LOT more problematic to pinpoint. You're right a dealer would just say "new tranny" because that's what's best for THEM. Even if you inadvertently bricked your TCU, it would still be cheaper and easier to replace than a whole transmission.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I am no expert in trans but I am intrigued here....

1)Did you have problem or symptoms before trans flush?
2)the only thing you did was trans flush and you get this problem now, correct?
3) did you try to drive in sport mode and shift the gear yourself, to see if it goes to higher gear etc.?
4)I heard (more like hearsay I thought) that flushing high-mileage trans is rather risky, so how many miles on your car?
5) not sure if you can find a ZF trans expert in Hawaii, maybe in Honululu; that's the better option next.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
I did. I filled it till it had a stream leaking out. Then started the car, and then proceeded to fill it the remaining bit while It ran to operating temp as I finished filling until it had a stream leaking out again. I filled up about 6.5 liters. I took out approx 5.5-6 liters.

This is technically incorrect, but I highly doubt it's the cause of your problems.

You should have a slight stream coming out at approximately 105*F transmission oil temp, then put the plug in. If it gets over that temp, you have to let it cool down and basically start over (obviously you don't have to dump the oil or anything, just have to wait until it gets under that temp).

The volume of oil, at that temp, is just right to drip out of the fill hole

Hate to hear about your issues--can't believe it turned into this much of a mess. Let us know how it turns out
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Frenchy

So my car is STILL in the process of getting fixed. People are saying that the tranny is getting too hot therefore causing it to go into "limp mode." They can't figure out what's causing it. They suspect a computer issue which they are claiming could cost upwards of $4000 to fix but trying to find something cheaper. Are they saying that they are trying to purchase an entirely new computer for the car??

Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW530i
Need Help !! Informaton.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your issue and I feel your pain. I have exactly the same issue. I dont know much about cars and I probably need your help

I always have serviced my car at the BMW and I took it for a fluid change. Brake fluid and engine oil. They then told me that I have to change my transmission fluid.

After all the changes , I get my car and in 24 hours I start having errors of transmission failure , gear signal error , and also cruise control error.
BMW says its a Tranny error. I believe they damaged my tranny in the process of the change.

My question to you is , would you have to touch the tranny in the process of changing the transmission fluid including replacing the oil sump , sleve for gearbox casing , installing sealing cyliner head covers.

I really need someone to confirm to me if it is possible that the service centrer could damage my tranny.
I am an expat in Dubai and mind you the premium I pay for labor here is very dear and I do not expect such mistakes from BMW.

Lookinf forward to your help and appreciate it.

Thanks.. .
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvano View Post

My question to you is , would you have to touch the tranny in the process of changing the transmission fluid including replacing the oil sump , sleve for gearbox casing , installing sealing cyliner head covers.

I really need someone to confirm to me if it is possible that the service centrer could damage my tranny.
I am an expat in Dubai and mind you the premium I pay for labor here is very dear and I do not expect such mistakes from BMW. .
No, you don't have to touch the tranny at all in order to do JUST an oil change. However, just my opinion..... If you're changing the tranny fluid it has to be at or around 100k miles, which I have read that while you have the pan off, you might as well change the Mechatronics sleeve as well as the valve body sleeve which are somewhat on the tranny but only on the outside of the valve body.

Anyone can damage a tranny. If you don't follow the directions to the 'T'.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW530i

Thanks a lot for your response appreciate it.
Now I just need to wait for the diagnostics report from BMW