Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM
scinfidel scinfidel is offline
Registered User
Location: orange county
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: bmw 535ix
"Engine Malfunction-Reduced Power"

Less than 5 days into ownership I got the dreaded warning. Was close enough to home and called BMW roadside assistance for pick up tomorrow morning. Car is under CPO until Sept 21, 2014 so that is okay but hoping this isn't a lemon.

I turned the car back on about 2 hours later and did a quick spin around the block and noticed a significant lack of power. Any ideas guys??

Oh yeah, twice earlier today while driving around it made a few beeps.. sort of like a bomb sequence counting down.

Last edited by scinfidel; 05-15-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM
mostroad mostroad is offline
Registered User
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 535xit
I'm guessing HPFP or injectors.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Ramon, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scinfidel View Post
Less than 5 days into ownership I got the dreaded warning. Was close enough to home and called BMW roadside assistance for pick up tomorrow morning. Car is under CPO until Sept 21, 2014 so that is okay but hoping this isn't a lemon.

I turned the car back on about 2 hours later and did a quick spin around the block and noticed a significant lack of power. Any ideas guys??

Oh yeah, twice earlier today while driving around it made a few beeps.. sort of like a bomb sequence counting down.
It could be a lot of things. Best is to have the dealer look at it since it is under warranty. Unless you have a code reader and pulled the fault codes, it could be anything.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 AM
Mac Hadley Mac Hadley is offline
Nac
Location: Olney, Md
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 366
Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
I had the same warning. Turned out to be a bad vacuum hose which they found by doing a "smoke" test.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Phoenix1 Phoenix1 is offline
Sleeper Wagon
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 729
Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Get it to the dealer now before you are stranded somewhere or put in danger (this can happen on the highway). Do you know if the HPFP and/or injectors have already been replaced?
__________________
2014 Audi A7 Prestige E61 SOLD 10/4/13! [/B]- 2008 E61/Monaco Blue/Natural Brown/Premium/Sport/Logic 7/Sirius. Escort 9500ci, Dinan S2 Tune (378HP, 417 ft/lb Torque), RD Sport Sway Bars. Conti DW and Michelin Xi3 snows. LED Angel Eyes, Matt Black Grill. Ext warranty until 2017!!!, 67K miles. Original owner. Fanatically Maintained, BMWCCA Member. Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:52 PM
NoQuarter's Avatar
NoQuarter NoQuarter is offline
Drink E85 & inject Meth
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 839
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
"Engine Malfunction-Reduced Power"

The beeps is just your clock hourly chime I bet.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
scinfidel scinfidel is offline
Registered User
Location: orange county
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: bmw 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
Get it to the dealer now before you are stranded somewhere or put in danger (this can happen on the highway). Do you know if the HPFP and/or injectors have already been replaced?
Vanos Solenoid(s) were the culprit... replaced under CPO. I am going to get service history from dealership today to see what has and has not been addressed so I know what to expect or at least look for.

Thanks for all the help too guys.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Wagons_Rock Wagons_Rock is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silver Spring MD
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by scinfidel View Post
Vanos Solenoid(s) were the culprit... replaced under CPO.
Its possible this might not be the end of it. I had Vanos Solenoids replaced twice under warranty (I'm original owner) for intermittent reduced power malfunction that usually cleared as soon as I pulled over, turned off ignition and restarted. Problem recurred a couple of days after 2nd solenoid replacement, and because I was on break and had time, I went back to dealer. Because solenoid had just been replaced, they moved onto 2nd stage of diagnosis (for the same fault codes) and found that intake cam bearing ledges were worn. I've been good for a couple of years since these were replaced ... but just last week reduced power warning came on again, but so far its not recurred.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM
dannyvd1 dannyvd1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
My 2008 535i has been having the engine malfunction reduced power light come on during heavy acceleration. Normal driving around town it never comes on, as soon as you accelerate quickly it comes on. BMW ran a 3 hour diagnostic test and came up with 2 bad vacum solenoid switches. I will pick up tomorrow. Hopes this works.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
dannyvd1 dannyvd1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Update. Well replacing the bad vacum solenoid switches did not fix the problem. It is the turbo. Will find out more when I go to pick up my loaner.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:58 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Ramon, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvd1 View Post
Update. Well replacing the bad vacum solenoid switches did not fix the problem. It is the turbo. Will find out more when I go to pick up my loaner.
That's good you are getting new turbos. Your car should run like a champ after that.

Without knowing what fault codes your car was throwing it is hard to say since it could be a bunch of things. Hopefully they get it right this time.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Performance Gearing LSD.

Last edited by booyaazaa; 05-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,025
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagons_Rock View Post
Its possible this might not be the end of it. I had Vanos Solenoids replaced twice under warranty (I'm original owner) for intermittent reduced power malfunction that usually cleared as soon as I pulled over, turned off ignition and restarted. Problem recurred a couple of days after 2nd solenoid replacement, and because I was on break and had time, I went back to dealer. Because solenoid had just been replaced, they moved onto 2nd stage of diagnosis (for the same fault codes) and found that intake cam bearing ledges were worn. I've been good for a couple of years since these were replaced ... but just last week reduced power warning came on again, but so far its not recurred.
Sounds like a good dealer - was it BMW of Silver Spring? They have been good at doing in depth analysis of my car.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Lakidnitro Lakidnitro is offline
Registered User
Location: Dothan
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Alabama
Same issue with my 08 535, smooth as silk but you floor it and engine malfunction light......ugh!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
dannyvd1 dannyvd1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I may be getting my turbos replaced by BMW.
Update:
BMW replaced both of my turbos. One of the turbos had seized up. They found a leak in the oil line to the turbos. The other turbo also had issues so they replaced them both. I'll get the receipt and post exactly what they did.

Last edited by dannyvd1; 06-13-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Wagons_Rock Wagons_Rock is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silver Spring MD
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Sounds like a good dealer - was it BMW of Silver Spring? They have been good at doing in depth analysis of my car.
Yes - BMW of Silver Spring did the 2nd Vanos valve replacement, followed a couple of days later by intake cam bearing ledge replacement ... but if I'd not gone back after getting a reduced power warning a day after after the Vanos valve replacement, I'd probably be stuck with an intermittent problem. For me the bottom line is owners have to stay on top of faults and push dealer to go beyond the standard BMW diagnosis/repair schedule. Because I'd already had a Vanos valve replacement, you'd think that it would be appropriate to consider other causes, but their initial repair was by the book: replace Vanos valve a 2nd time.

They also replaced my transmission, and 18 months later I'm good, but again the initial repair was mechatronix sleeve replacement, which did not fix the problem, as I found out immediately on picking up car. A subsequent reading of transmission fault codes revealed the real problem, but this should have been done as part of the 1st repair/diagnosis?

I'm glad you are having good experiences there; I'll probably keep going back there. Trust them more than VOB (now BMW Rockville).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,025
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagons_Rock View Post
Yes - BMW of Silver Spring did the 2nd Vanos valve replacement, followed a couple of days later by intake cam bearing ledge replacement ... but if I'd not gone back after getting a reduced power warning a day after after the Vanos valve replacement, I'd probably be stuck with an intermittent problem. For me the bottom line is owners have to stay on top of faults and push dealer to go beyond the standard BMW diagnosis/repair schedule. Because I'd already had a Vanos valve replacement, you'd think that it would be appropriate to consider other causes, but their initial repair was by the book: replace Vanos valve a 2nd time.

They also replaced my transmission, and 18 months later I'm good, but again the initial repair was mechatronix sleeve replacement, which did not fix the problem, as I found out immediately on picking up car. A subsequent reading of transmission fault codes revealed the real problem, but this should have been done as part of the 1st repair/diagnosis?

I'm glad you are having good experiences there; I'll probably keep going back there. Trust them more than VOB (now BMW Rockville).
VOB is a bunch of crooks. I had to take my car there for a quick oil change (which ended up being a oil leak). The SA was rude and a jackass.

I will only use BMW of Silver Spring for service from now on - too bad they are a bit of a drive from where I live.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms