Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Titan
Need some help with a vibration problem

Hi fellow members,

I have a problem with a steering wheel vibration at 55-75MPH.
It all started since I upgraded the wheel and tire size on my 08 535xi.
I upgraded from the stock 17's to an 18" staggered wheel set up.
I did make a mistake and picked up some replica M6 wheels, and I am already kicking myself for that.

I decided on Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position Tires
Tire size is 245-40-18 upfront and 275-35-18 rear

The wheels and tires are all brand new mounted, roadforce balanced and 4 wheel allignment by BMW dealer. All came thru with no problem.

While at the dealer they noticed that my thrust rod bushings are leaking, I declined the 700.00 replacement.

The dealer stated that being the wheels are not BMW OEM it might be the reason for the vibration.

My question is: Is the vibration posibly being caused by the Thrust Rod Bushings? or is it the wheels since they are cheap replicas.

The dealer did state that they were straight.

Any help would be great !!

JEC
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 530xi
Maybe u should try reinstalling the old set back and see if the problem still exist.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Been tehere, done it....
I have aftermarket wheels that has fornt wheel with center-bore of 73.5mm yes CRAZY; E60 needs CB of 72.56mm and E39 older 5-series has 74.1mm.
So my wheels were wacky and I fixed it buting special centering hub online.

If you already road-force balance the wheels check the center-bore. The way I found out is when putting the front, it was so easy and the rear is nice and tight so I already suspecious the front has bigger CB than rears. Otherwise I would destroy my car suspension overtime.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM

The wheels bought have a center bore of 72.6. I apreciate the thought.

I did hit a pothole in CT a few weks back and the vibration was slight then, just thought I threw a weight.

Seems that going from 17 to 18" wheels might have just made the vibration worse. It's at the dealer now they are relooking at it again and possibly replace the thrust rods.
they doubted anything was bent since it alligned so easily.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

JEC
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Might want to re-read what HPIA posted, the center bore of the E60 is 72.56, not 72.6. So if your wheels (as with almost all replica wheels) have a CB different - even slightly, from stock you will feel vibration. Again, I have had 9 sets of wheels across 2 E60's, so I have a little experience here. I have always made sure I bought wheels with 72.56 CB, so the only times I had vibration was when there was a slight bend in the wheel or when my control arms needed replacing.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM

Thank you pjinca, I just checked with tire rack and they know of no centering ring that can go from 7.60 to 7.56.

I will be willing to try it if anyone knows where I can get it.

JEC
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Might want to re-read what HPIA posted, the center bore of the E60 is 72.56, not 72.6. So if your wheels (as with almost all replica wheels) have a CB different - even slightly, from stock you will feel vibration. Again, I have had 9 sets of wheels across 2 E60's, so I have a little experience here. I have always made sure I bought wheels with 72.56 CB, so the only times I had vibration was when there was a slight bend in the wheel or when my control arms needed replacing.
Not beating the dead horse cause maybe his wheels are fine but I had to measure the CB using a digital bore gauge; of-course the online-seller keep insisting the CB is correct.
I had to post a video during measurement on youtube to convince them that the front wheels are wacked. Their response was "oh.. you are the only customer have access to that kinda measuring device...." duh.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC_PA View Post
Thank you pjinca, I just checked with tire rack and they know of no centering ring that can go from 7.60 to 7.56.

I will be willing to try it if anyone knows where I can get it.

JEC
You are correct, I know of no hub ring for that small a size (and .04 mm really is tiny). So the only thing I can think of is a) return the wheels and make them give you either a set that CAN use hub rings, or b) bore out the wheels to 73.5 or 74.1 and then you could use standard hub rings to make them work. That 0.04 mm is just enough to cause the vibration you feel.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM

I would really hate to have to bore them out. This is one time I hope that the thrust rod is the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
You are correct, I know of no hub ring for that small a size (and .04 mm rhate to is tiny). So the only thing I can think of is a) return the wheels and make them give you either a set that CAN use hub rings, or b) bore out the wheels to 73.5 or 74.1 and then you could use standard hub rings to make them work. That 0.04 mm is just enough to cause the vibration you feel.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC_PA View Post
I would really hate to have to bore them out. This is one time I hope that the thrust rod is the culprit.
The only reason I would lean more toward the wheel? When the control (thrust) arms need replacing, you feel vibration at highway speed as well as under braking, feels sort of like when the ABS kicks in. It's like a pulsating sensation through the steering wheel.

When your control arms need to be replaced you tires do this:

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 05-25-2013, 07:25 AM

After spending the entire day at the dealership they finally were able to determine it's my wheels. They swapped out my wheels with another car and no vibration.

Now I have an appt with Wheel Collision Center in PA on tuesday morning. From speaking to them they are certain that my wheels can once again be round.
This is their link
http://www.wheelcollision.com/

From reading thru the link it seems they have a patented process so why not give it a try before I buy new wheels.

Lets se how it goes.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM

Well after chasing this problem for 10 days it looks like the whees are my issue. Dealer put OEM wheels back on and no vibration.
Just broke down and ordered wheels from Uminitza should have done it originally.

Anyone have wheels from them?

JEC