Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E60, 530i
2005 E60, 530i Wont Start. Please advise.

The car was running perfectly till last night, woke up today to go to work and it would not start. The key turns all the, systems power up, but no start. Cycled the gear shift from 'parking' to 'drive' and back, brake pedal pressed, but nil starter action. No faults indicated either in the 'control messages'. What I did notice was, when I turn the key to start, at the point where the starter should kick in, I hear a 'click' sound.

I replaced the battery less than 6 months back, no signs of battery weakness and no signs of difficulty in starting either prior to this. Any ideas anyone. HELP!
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
It sounds like you're getting power to the starter solenoid since you are hearing the clicking sound. It could be your starter. But first, try to jump or get your battery fully charged. If it still does not start with a full battery it is more than likely that the starter is defective and need to be replaced.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
It sounds like you're getting power to the starter solenoid since you are hearing the clicking sound. It could be your starter. But first, try to jump or get your battery fully charged. If it still does not start with a full battery it is more than likely that the starter is defective and need to be replaced.
Thanks Nube1Kenobi, will try your advice, just want to clarify, what I hear is a single low volume 'click', not 'clicking'.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Battery voltage is satis, still tried the jump start option, nil fix. checked all related fuses, found normal.

When I rotate the key to ignition, there is a buzzing/humming sound coming from under the car, when i release the brake pedal it goes away. is that the fuel pump?

if its any help, prior to this, my wiper fluid pump had stopped working, but the wipers were still normal. everything else was normal.

Any suggestions? Anyway I can trouble shoot the starter?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 530i, 2004
I had the same problem and it was the starter It costs me 2000QR to fix , but try to have a jump start first to check if it is the battery or not
Old 05-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: e60
same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Guy View Post
The car was running perfectly till last night, woke up today to go to work and it would not start. The key turns all the, systems power up, but no start. Cycled the gear shift from 'parking' to 'drive' and back, brake pedal pressed, but nil starter action. No faults indicated either in the 'control messages'. What I did notice was, when I turn the key to start, at the point where the starter should kick in, I hear a 'click' sound.

I replaced the battery less than 6 months back, no signs of battery weakness and no signs of difficulty in starting either prior to this. Any ideas anyone. HELP!

Hi MrDubai Guy..
I think that i have the same problem as yours. Can you please tell us how did you resolved your problem....
Thanks in advance..

-pa-
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Did you change the battery yourself or let BMW change it? Was it registered when it was changed?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
I had the same problem it was the starter for me. A good key is if you still get nothing when you try to jump start which was my case. I removed the battery took it to Autozone they charged it for nothing but it still wouldn't start.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
stilldre54

was it your starter I have same exact problem