Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
M5 in manual

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 m5, just trying to decide on the color. I have test driven the dct and the manual. Personally the manual was much more enjoyable to drive. The dct was impressive, fast, and at the same time boring. I was just wondering how current m5 owners are enjoying their manuals, how are they holding up, and any regrets or is it what you thought it would be as far as driving experience.
Ads by Google
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
get it
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Black Sapphire M6
I love my manual M5. I wavered a bit and was finally pushed over the edge after reading that this is the last M5 with a manual.

Do it!

2013 - Monte Carlo Blue M5
2011 - X5 35d
------Retired----------------------
2007 - Jet Black 335i
2003 - Silver Gray Metallic M3
2006 - Black Sapphire M6
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Emmm, manual is the only way to go with this car. Personally, I'm more of an aware driver when I drive a manual.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 m5, just trying to decide on the color. I have test driven the dct and the manual. Personally the manual was much more enjoyable to drive. The dct was impressive, fast, and at the same time boring. I was just wondering how current m5 owners are enjoying their manuals, how are they holding up, and any regrets or is it what you thought it would be as far as driving experience.
Would never buy a manual M5. Sorry.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 335Hybrid;F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
I too test drove the manual M5 and felt like a kid in an amusement park. What pushed me towards the DCT at the end was the traffic in my area. I spend almost 2 hours each day in the car in stop and go traffic and enjoy having free hands to drink/eat/ etc
2012 Jaguar FXR
2011 M3 (E93)
2011 750li x-drive (F02)2009
2009 Lexus IS-F
2007 M6 coupe
2007 MB E63
2004 Audi S4
2001 Audi S4
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Porsche and BMW guru

Mein Auto: AH 3 & Countryman
While I grew up driving a manual from day one and 80% of my cars have been manual, I would go DCT. I've driven the current M3 and M5 in both manual and DCT and those cars are built to be DCT. That being said my perfect two car garage would have an e92 with DCT and a R56 JCW with 6 speed manual...
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM

I recieved the M5 on june 27 th and I currentley have 1400 miles on it. It is not my daily driver. So far I have no regrets going with the six speed manual. First gear is a little clumsey and if you are out on back roads doing spirited driving needing to downshift you have to pay attention, as 2nd gear and fourth gear can be close on the downshift. But there is no way I would want to go to the DCT. I test drove both the manual and the Dct. I actually test drove the DCT first and coming from a 8 speed steptronic 550 x drive with dinan stage 4, I was impressed with the car but not blown away with the DCT. I just felt it was still a automatic just alot faster. To be honest it bored me to have a sports sedan that was actually shifting into the next gear faster than I actually could and being able to preset rpm shifts turned me off, it just felt artificial to me. Don't get me wrong the DCT is a amazing transmission, probably the best in it's class. Then I drove a loaded ( $ 108,000.00) six speed manual and within 5 minutes of a 30 minute test drive I was hooked. To me the six speed manual is what the M3 and M5 are meant to be and always have been. I have had the the f10 M5 since june 27th and currently have 1400 miles on it and I have had it out on some narrow backroads doing some fun spirited driving and have not once thought about the DCT, other than how bored I would get actually trying to have fun while driving the FACTORY TUNED KING ! SIX SPEED FOR ME !

Last edited by FTC; 07-18-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
There you have it. No regrets.
There are a lot of great cars and more and more are not offering manual option.
Nissan GTR, Porsche GT3, Porsche Turbo S .......... and other high priced cars.

Get your manual while you can if you need it.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
I just got a manual M5 and I love it. The manual makes you feel more connected to the car (granted, this is a matter of opinion). As a disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of manuals and will get a manual in any car I can.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_kanuk View Post
I just got a manual M5 and I love it. The manual makes you feel more connected to the car (granted, this is a matter of opinion). As a disclaimer, I'm a huge fan of manuals and will get a manual in any car I can.
Congratulations. I agree with you 100 %. Just curious, when you are really pushing the vehicle doing spirited driving on backroads do you find yourself having to really pay attention when downshifting from sixth to fifth being careful not to go into third by accident and upshifting from second to third, not to go into fifth by accident. I myself found that out this weekend. Probably more just me needing to spend more time with it and pay more attention when I am driving on twisties. The other thing I love about the manual M5, it hates first gear ! But what a great feeling going into a sharp corner and coming out of a sharp corner hitting the shifts just right.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
My last car was an automatic but I've owned manuals since I started driving way back when. So I'm getting used to the M5 transmission pretty quickly. I do agree that you need to be a little deliberate, the transmission doesn't like to be hurried too much (or, I'm not quite used to the M5 clutch / tranmission). Honestly though, the car has so much torque, and the torque curve (plateau?) is so flat that I dont do a ton of backroad shifting.

I do agree that the car does not like 1st geat.

Zero regrets getting the manual. The M5 is a supercar, and supercars should be manuals...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_kanuk View Post
My last car was an automatic but I've owned manuals since I started driving way back when. So I'm getting used to the M5 transmission pretty quickly. I do agree that you need to be a little deliberate, the transmission doesn't like to be hurried too much (or, I'm not quite used to the M5 clutch / tranmission). Honestly though, the car has so much torque, and the torque curve (plateau?) is so flat that I dont do a ton of backroad shifting.

I do agree that the car does not like 1st geat.

Zero regrets getting the manual. The M5 is a supercar, and supercars should be manuals...
I agree with you 100 %. M cars were meant to be manuals, espcially the M5 and the M3. The e60 M5 (2006-2010) was the first M5 to be offered in a automatic transmission ( smg) and it was not popular. I am with you the current M5 does not like first gear and when I am on backroads I find myself usually between third and fourth gear, sometimes second if I really need to slow down at a very sharp corner. The torque in this car is awesome and I agree that does make it so you do not have to shift as much as you would think when back road driving. Lets's hope BMW does not discontinue the six speed manual in the M5. I know the 2014 M5 still offers manual and so does the new M3 and M4.