Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes SLK
2014 z4

Okay I have been waiting to order my orion silver (I call it champagne) z4 with the awesome contrasting black top ever since I first saw it. Just found out today that the contrasting tops are only available on certain colors. For now can only get black top on valencia orange and silver and the silver top on blue, grey and black. Why would they not offer it on all? SO bummed!! ANd then why do they show it all over the internet with the orion silver if it is really not available???
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexi
Something doesn't sound right here. If they're showing it, it's available. How have you determined it is NOT available? Sometimes colors are package-dependent. Have you tried configuring your car with M Sport Package, for example?

According to the BMW NA Pricing Guide for 2014 (3/19/13), the BMW Individual Contrasting Hardtop (3WZ) is a Priority 1 Option that requires ordering Option 490 which is described as Special Order Color. Perhaps the configurator you or your dealer are using is not properly processing the combination of Priority 1, 3WZ, and/or 490. The Hardtop shows available for all Z4 models (28i, 35i, and 35is) at a list price of $700. I do see that your exterior color, Orion Silver Metallic (A92) is not available in the 35is model, so you must be looking at either the 28i or 35i. I see no other notes, restrictions, or exclusions related to either your color or the hardtop option.

Last edited by williakz; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Added Pricing Guide info
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Contrasting top

Thanks for your reply. Thats what I said...if it is shown on the internet then it should be available. My dealer showed me a sheet today that shows him how to place the order for the contrasting top and shows it can only be ordered on specific colors. There is not a color package and you are right, I am looking at the 28i Z4. I am going back on Saturday and I will print the information that you show because he did tell me that he is somewhat new so maybe he does not know. It just looks so good with the black top.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM

Good for you. Don't take no for an answer. Call or PM one of the known competent dealers on this site (find them in the Ask-A-Dealer forum), explain your situation (inexperienced CA), and let them go to work for you. Good luck.

Last edited by williakz; 04-25-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 PM

Z4 contrasting top

Thanks so much!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
I'm getting a 3.5is in VO with the contrasting black top. I can tell you this - it did take a few phone calls back and forth to BMW before they Ok'd the order. Not sure if the fact that it was an ED made a difference, but it was not as simple as checking a box.

I told my CA that it was funny that it was the combination of the LCI launch car did they not expect that a certain amount of people might like it and order it? He laughed and agreed.

If you do the contrasting roof on the configurator when is drags in the 490 code it shows as a $5000 custom paint option in addition to the $700 charge for the roof itself. I had verified this with one of the sponser CA's but it was not my experience once I actually ordered with my local CA.

Good Luck!

Last edited by DslDwg; 04-27-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Contrasting - Top Black on Orion iSilver

Thanks DslDwg. There is still a discrepancy between 2 dealers whether I can get a black top on the orion silver but I may be able to get such a good deal on a 2013 that I may have to sacrifice the black top. But thank you for your feedback.

Hey what is everybody elses opinion about Orion Silver (champagne color) with black top VS just solid Orion Silver???
Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM

The hardtop on a Z4 is just a temporary, though necessary, evil. The car only truly lives as a top-down roadster. Therefore, what the top looks like is immaterial. Those seeing a Z4 with its top up should have the good manners to look away.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
Thanks DslDwg. There is still a discrepancy between 2 dealers whether I can get a black top on the orion silver but I may be able to get such a good deal on a 2013 that I may have to sacrifice the black top. But thank you for your feedback.

Hey what is everybody elses opinion about Orion Silver (champagne color) with black top VS just solid Orion Silver???
I like it both ways. I may be a minority but I like Orion Silver even though I don't think it's very silver"y". Good color that I don't think you'll see around very often, I think even less so if you get the contrasting top.

I think it's a little more conservative with the 100% Orion and a little more flashy/sporty with the Contrasting top.

I have no illusions about my soon to be VO with Black top. It will be pretty damn obnoxious.

It will be my first convertible and I can't wait to drive around top down. However I have no plans to cook myself in the summer in Houston so will drive plenty with the top up.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Contrasting Top

I totally agree, the Orion silver is not silvery and that is why I like it. It is a rich champagne color and I also agree it is somewhat conservative though classy with the solid top and more sporty with the black. I would like to say that it (the top) will always be down but I live in Michigan so I do have to have the top up sometimes!
I also considered that VO and it is awesome. It was featured at the Detroit Auto show this year and I fell in love with it. I took pictures of both and posted it to Instagram to get peoples opinions about wether I should go "classy" or "sassy". I am not afraid to be bold, I used to drive a bright lime green Mercedes SLK and I loved the looks it got so the decision has been a hard one. I had been waiting so long though for someone to make a little roadster in the champagney color with a cream interior and now that they finally have one, I dont want to pass it up. Just found out that this body style Z4 was designed by a woman and the interior was also designed by another woman. They tell me that is a first for BMW. I think they did a pretty good job, wouldnt you agree!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM

I agree with the assessment of the color. The first time I saw it in person - I said it looked like champagne. I remember my wife and I being at the dealer and seeing a new 328 in the Orion color and both of us said "wow" at the same time. Nice color.

There are a series of marketing videos on the BMW Youtube page where the lady designers talk about the car -

I do think it's an interesting fact and yet to me the car doesn't feel or look like a "girly" car. I've always thought that about the Miata and the Boxster but not about the Z4. At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all whether peoples perception is "girly" or "not-girly" but the fact that two ladies designed a two-seat roadster that the guys really like also means that they did a really good job.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Thumbs up

Saw Orion Silver Saturday on a new Z4 and I really like it.

It looks much like the Mineral Silver that was on my 2005 645.

If they offered it on the 35is, I'd order it... with red interior... I'd pass on the black roof.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM

@DslDwg Thanks for you feedback and thsnks for sharing the clips about the designers. So interesting!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM

@200mph Really no black top? Im so mixed but it looks like it will be the solid. I am doing the cannaberra beige interior (cream) and its beautiful and girly. Love it! Thanks for the thumbs up!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
@200mph Really no black top?
Really. I liked the way the metallic champagne roof had great highlight reflections in the sun.

Solid black... not so much... and from a distance, IMHO, with the black roof it would kinda look like the old (soft top) Z4. No thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
2014 z4

A painted hard top in no way looks even close to a rag top!! The diff is one will look new for the next 20 years and the other will look old in 20 minutes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 PM

The black hard top was pretty but I went with the solid though so that I didnt have to wait til end of summer to get it. I would post a pic if I could figure out how to!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
I had a 2009 Orion Silver until this year when I purchased my new Valencia Orange 2014 Z-4 - the Orion Silver always looked clean - never showed dirt -
was conservative too- A great color - you will like it -

Here is a photo of my 2009 Orion Silver, and another of my 2014 Valencia Orange Z-4

Good luck with your new car !

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4370 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	380747  
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
FYI- I ordered Mineral White with a black Top. Took 2 weeks to get the conformation from BMW. (Coral Red Extended also)