Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-11-2002, 08:16 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Z4s spotted at Performance Delivery

Took delivery of my 3.0i Coupe yesterday. Will post details later today.

Performance center had 4 Z4s, all covered. We were told we'd get to see them before the end of the day, but that didn't happen. I can verify however, that the Z4 is at least 3 inches wider than an E46 330Ci and about the same height. The edges of the car are sharp (you could make out the lines under heavy wind) and the front end looks exactly like spy photos. The cars we saw had E46 325ti SE wheels on them. Everyone at Performance Center openly called it the Z4. There were TTs, Boxsters, and SLKs closeby as well.

There were Minis at Performance Center if that is any indication of the writing on the wall.
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2002, 08:21 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Couldn't make any pictures ?
Old 05-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
No Pics

They were EXTREMELY serious about this. We had to leave all bags at the front desk. They said they had caught a guy a couple days earlier and destroyed the film he had.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Re: No Pics

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM
They were EXTREMELY serious about this. We had to leave all bags at the front desk. They said they had caught a guy a couple days earlier and destroyed the film he had.
Yep, I can imagine it. I was invited to a focus group a year ago or so. They showed us the new Mercedes E-Class and some other prototypes. I too had to leave my all belongings at the front desk. And there were security guys everywhere who were keeping an eye on the group.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Corvette ZO6
Its always exciting as they roll out a new BMW...especially the new Z4!

I can't wait to see the car in both photos and in person..

Anyone hear if the sequential shifter technology will be brought on line with this car?

From the BMW owners I've meet so far with the sequential shifters they are raving about it.

Will BMW offer it up on the Z4 right out of the gate?
Old 05-22-2002, 05:45 AM

Did you guys see this or is this a member here?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=158

HOME INSIDERS

Auto Shows

Automotive Job Opportunities

Book Excerpts

Contests

Driving Forces

Green Machines

Industry News

Message Boards

Motorsports and Racing

Special Reports

Spy Shots

Techno Beat

Web/Telematics

WJR Auto Reports

World Report

SPY SHOTS

Spy Shots: 2004 BMW Z4

BMWs new ragtop caught testing during testing.
by Brenda Priddy

More TCC Spy Shots

College freshman Shahin Tabassi got more than he bargained for on the way to finals this week. Tabassi found himself driving next to a 2003 BMW Z4 on the highway. He grabbed his camera and managed to get a few pictures before he arrived at his college in Southern California.

This second generation version of the Z3 will be officially introduced at the Paris Motor Show in late September, and is expected to be at dealerships as early as October or November. Measuring in slightly larger than the current Z3, the new Z4 will move up a notch to compete one-to-one with the likes of the upcoming SLK and Audis TT.

Sources tell us the new Z4 will be available this fall with a wide range of in-line six engines, with the fours added six to twelve months later. The powerful 343-hp M version will be added for the 2004 model year.

The photos look hot! Very much better than anything I've seen to date..
Old 05-22-2002, 05:53 AM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Reminds me of a Corvette:
Old 05-22-2002, 05:54 AM

What is with the trunk lid??

Reminds me of something Japanese.

I don't know why I thought of a cougar when I saw the rear end:

Last edited by JPinTO; 05-22-2002 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:57 AM
superwagon pilot

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh (PA)
Mein Auto: 99 M3c, 03 M5, 11 335
The lights scalloped into the back bumpers are stolen from the new RS-X

The ducktail spoiler is way too pronounced, and looks like it was taken from the S-2000.

Overall, pretty disappointing
Old 05-22-2002, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
The ducktail spoiler is way too pronounced, and looks like it was taken from the S-2000.

Overall, pretty disappointing
The ducktail is outrageous... and not in a good way. "Overall, pretty disappointing" seems to be the new design mantra over at BMW ag.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:23 AM

Spy photos usually have some rough areas ...

Hopefully the sheetmetal on the tail is incorrect..It is awkward so we can only hope..

I do personally like the front and side is much better as it becomes less camoflaged (sp)

I think as the car will come with an M3 spec motor and sequential shifters..(as a possible option)

This could be one very..very serious sports car!

The Ultimate driving machine!!

I think its cool
Old 05-22-2002, 09:28 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
mixed feelings

I had seen some 'spy photos' some time ago, but you know how those are. There's all kinds of photos and how many turn out to be the actual car. Those first photos I saw then (from a Chinese magazine) made me think S2000.

I guess I was hoping BMW would go in the direction of something like a front engine / rear transmission car with the passenger compartment more in the center.

I see the photos now and still my initial reaction is S2000 (which people love the design, just not the engine philosophy) or Z3 with a facelift.

After taking another look at these new photos (thanks shahin) which are closer and a better color, I do see some differences I think people will like. The car is longer and one knock on the current Z3 is that it looks too short and squatty. Perhaps the longer wheelbase will add some handling stability (you would think my M roadster has a square footprint). The smaller back window should make it so they can add a real glass back window which has many advantages. The door looks like it comes higher now up over the shoulder which will hopefully make the cockpit less windy and the top does look a little smaller and more aggressive shape to it. The nose of the car is also nice from the side angle. Still many of those improvements look S2000-ish.

And I'm sure the car technically will be improved. The new cars always are. So I think people will like it.

That being said, I'm sure the new M Roadster in 2004 will come in at over 50K, so I'm glad to have mine now.