Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X-5 / 2002 330i
Radiator coolant expansion tank replacement

Need some advice--- My expansion tank developed a leak and I need to replace it. Didn't see anything relevant in the WIKI and previous posts do not discuss X-5 (E53). The hoses going into the top of each side of the tank are without standard hose clamps. Looks like they are fastened with retainer clips of some sort. I am ordering a genuine BMW replacement with the level sensor and vent screw.

Anyone know how the three small tank hoses are removed to facilitate tank replacement?
Do the hoses just pull off and snap back on?
Anything else I need to know to replace the tank?
Is it straight forward?

Thanks.

Last edited by JNMNL52; 05-28-2013 at 03:33 AM. Reason: update
Ads by Google
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
The hoses have spring clips built into them; there is no hose clamp. To remove a hose, pull the wire clip straight back until it stops (it will click). Pull the hose STRAIGHT BACK; DO NOT TWIST the hose trying to remove it.

To install, LIGHTLY coat the o-ring inside the hose end with silicone spray (Armor-All or similar). Open the clip (pull it back until it clicks). Push the hose straight onto the tank until it stops (it will only fit in one position; the hose and the tank have mating tabs). Push the wire clip toward the hose to secure it. Tug on the hose to make sure it's seated.

If you have an automatic, I can almost guarantee that you'll break the transmission cooler thermostat trying to remove it. Order a new one and keep it on hand just in case. You don't want to be three hours into this job and have to run out for a part. They're not that expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
The hoses have spring clips built into them; there is no hose clamp. To remove a hose, pull the wire clip straight back until it stops (it will click). Pull the hose STRAIGHT BACK; DO NOT TWIST the hose trying to remove it.

To install, LIGHTLY coat the o-ring inside the hose end with silicone spray (Armor-All or similar). Open the clip (pull it back until it clicks). Push the hose straight onto the tank until it stops (it will only fit in one position; the hose and the tank have mating tabs). Push the wire clip toward the hose to secure it. Tug on the hose to make sure it's seated.

If you have an automatic, I can almost guarantee that you'll break the transmission cooler thermostat trying to remove it. Order a new one and keep it on hand just in case. You don't want to be three hours into this job and have to run out for a part. They're not that expensive.
Thanks Scott ZHP; this is very helpful. I do have an automatic and will order a new transmission thermostat. How long should this job take for a novice mech like myself?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Just tackled this job this morning. 20 minutes start to finish. I ordered the transmission thermostat but did not see anything in the vicinity of the expansion tank that resembled it. After removing the three hoses, two 10mm nuts and the connector to the level sensor I was able to simply pull the tank straight out. What thermostat? I must have a different model.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
The thermostat that you are talking about actually plugs into the bottom of the expansion tank. Take a look at the link posted below, it's part #4. Follow the dotted line and that should give you an idea of where it goes.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=17&fg=05
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanemcvane View Post
The thermostat that you are talking about actually plugs into the bottom of the expansion tank. Take a look at the link posted below, it's part #4. Follow the dotted line and that should give you an idea of where it goes.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=17&fg=05
Thanks; but that is not my configuration. My transmission thermostat is attached to the radiator and looks totally different on the E53 4.4i N62 engine. I was expectingto find the thermostat attached to the expansion tank but not so.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
Ah. Sorry. I was thinking yours was the 3.0.

I think this is the part that you're looking for: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...hr-17107559966

Here's the installation diagram from RealOEM, it's part #20: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=17&fg=05

Not sure if this helps, at this point I wish I was a V8 X5 guy so I had more information to help you out.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanemcvane View Post
Ah. Sorry. I was thinking yours was the 3.0.

I think this is the part that you're looking for: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...hr-17107559966

Here's the installation diagram from RealOEM, it's part #20: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=17&fg=05

Not sure if this helps, at this point I wish I was a V8 X5 guy so I had more information to help you out.
Thanks; That is the exact part for my E53. I had it on hand but as I mentioned I really didn't come near it and did not need to replace it.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Sorry, my bad. I assumed you had a 3.0i. Can you send the part back? I've done this job several times on the 3.0i and it's rare to extract the thermostat from the housing without damaging it. I didn't realize you had the V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. I assumed you had a 3.0i. Can you send the part back? I've done this job several times on the 3.0i and it's rare to extract the thermostat from the housing without damaging it. I didn't realize you had the V8.
No sweat. You gave me the motivation to replace the expansion tank and I saved a few bucks and learned something. ECS Tuning is accepting the part back for a refund. Good people.