Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
X5 T-Boned

Hi everyone, I just made an account as my sister's '06 4.4i got hit earlier today. The damage doesn't look too bad at first glance but the right rear wheel was hit and is turned in. As it's an AWD vehicle it's a drive wheel and I'm wondering if the car may be totaled. The car doesn't drive straight at all and is a mess despite the not so bad exterior appearance. Anyone have any ideas? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM
MadBimmerist

Mein Auto: 98 DINAN 5, 03 540iT
Hard to tell without pictures. However, if it was T-Boned enough to move / turn that rear wheel in, chances are the suspension is bent / broken and compromised. Additionally, you say the car can't drive straight at all - that suggests frame damage which can result from the B pillar area or rear quarter panel being damage or bent. In a place like California that car would be totaled.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry I didn't snap any pics. I noticed one of the upper suspension links towards the front of the vehicle is bent quite a lot, while on the other side it's perfectly straight. All of the doors open/close but the one impacted clearly doesn't line up and it sticks out a bit. It definitely doesn't drive straight at all but I'm not sure if this is because of the wheel bent inwards or a bent frame. Maybe it's a combination of both of those factors.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
MadBimmerist

Mein Auto: 98 DINAN 5, 03 540iT
Well... If you are in California, it is not only a question of damage and cost to repair. There is also the issue of safety and liability. If the damage is structural, most insurance companies would rather not fix the car in case of future liability issues should there be catastrophic failure... at least most insurance companies would take that position. Being a 2006 ( 7 year old car), there is a good chance that with body / structural and mechanical (suspension) repairs - the total cost will be creeping up to 70 - 80% of the car's current retail value. Wait to see what the estimate is after the assessor checks out the car. Make sure your sister's insurance is notified and they get to check out the car as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
X5 T-Boned

i dont know how they are where you are from; but when the assessor comes to check out the car make sure you point out all of the suspension damage. a lot of the time they only note outward exterior damage and don't even care to look beyond any obvious damage. this happened to me on my old 97 e420. car was hit by a truck that just rapidly turned onto the street and hit my front drivers side.
after the assessor checked it out and then i got it repaired at a body shop... im backing out of a drive way and all of a sudden it sounded like i hit an orange cone and was dragging it... get out the car... control arm was snapped... back to the collision repair shop to finish the job and waste more of my time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 06-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Sound like it's "toasted"

01 //M5 (soon to be For Sale)
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)[/B]
Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo