Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I am afraid it will NOT steer with the same "road contact feel" as the out going model. To much "green emphasis" is being used on ALL new cars regardless of Manufacturers.
Generally we see the same scenarios in other brands. I recently drove a 991 PDK. Overall I liked the car’s blend of comfort and performance even though the 991 is decidedly less “edgy” - kinda like the BMW of Porsches. However, the 997 steering was seemingly braille-like while the EPS on the 991 offered a less communicative experience. If you never tried a 997 – the more subdued 991 would be perfectly fine. If you go over to Rennlist - many have made similar comments. I guess larger dimensions and more electronics are on every brand’s bill of fare – hopefully the chefs in the M kitchen will maintain their Michelin star by creating uniquely M seaonings - although as we all know seasonings are not ultimately a substitute for great ingrediants. The proof is in the eating.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Generally we see the same scenarios in other brands. I recently drove a 991 PDK. Overall I liked the car's blend of comfort and performance even though the 991 is decidedly less "edgy" - kinda like the BMW of Porsches. However, the 997 steering was seemingly braille-like while the EPS on the 991 offered a less communicative experience. If you never tried a 997 – the more subdued 991 would be perfectly fine. If you go over to Rennlist - many have made similar comments. I guess larger dimensions and more electronics are on every brand's bill of fare – hopefully the chefs in the M kitchen will maintain their Michelin star by creating uniquely M seaonings - although as we all know seasonings are not ultimately a substitute for great ingrediants. The proof is in the eating.
Very good statement. I drove them both extensively before deciding to buy the 997.2 Porsche 911 GTS with MT. The outgoing 997.2 model is just more visceral as compared to the new 991 model. I did feel that the new 991 was a better highway cruiser, but it loses the true sports car feel that becomes apparent when you do the back country roads full of twisties and hills. Lancaster, PA was a great proving ground for my test drives.

Although I have not driven the F30, from what I have read, as well as when I drove the F10 to compare our E60, I think both BMW and Porsche have headed in the direction of more comfort to attract a broader customer base.

Last edited by beden1; 09-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Generally we see the same scenarios in other brands. I recently drove a 991 PDK. Overall I liked the car’s blend of comfort and performance even though the 991 is decidedly less “edgy” - kinda like the BMW of Porsches. However, the 997 steering was seemingly braille-like while the EPS on the 991 offered a less communicative experience. If you never tried a 997 – the more subdued 991 would be perfectly fine. If you go over to Rennlist - many have made similar comments. I guess larger dimensions and more electronics are on every brand’s bill of fare – hopefully the chefs in the M kitchen will maintain their Michelin star by creating uniquely M seaonings - although as we all know seasonings are not ultimately a substitute for great ingrediants. The proof is in the eating.
Good post - articulate and accurate.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I plan to buy a used 997 and keep it forever.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I plan to buy a used 997 and keep it forever.
I just returned from a wonderful 24 mile trip (and very little traffic ahead) in my 911 today on some roads that I have not been on for a number of years. There were big swooping drop offs with tight curves, and then climb up again for more of the same along the entire trip. The Porsche has a very long third gear due to it's effortless high revving engine and it is just spectacular. I wish I had gotten one many years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money by not switching cars along the way, and always searching to find the one! This one is definitely a keeper along with my 335is!

Last edited by beden1; 09-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I just returned from a wonderful 24 mile trip (and very little traffic ahead) in my 911 today on some roads that I have not been on for a number of years. There were big swooping drop offs with tight curves, and then climb up again for more of the same along the entire trip. The Porsche has a very long third gear due to it's effortless high revving engine and it is just spectacular. I wish I had gotten one many years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money by not switching cars along the way, and always searching to find the one! This one is definitely a keeper along with my 335is!
It's one of the few brands that isn't compromised for the mass market. Guess that's why they're expensive.

If I keep my 330i it won't be cause it's a classic, just cause it's too nice a car to get rid of for only $12k.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Very good statement. I drove them both extensively before deciding to buy the 997.2 Porsche 911 GTS with MT. The outgoing 997.2 model is just more visceral as compared to the new 991 model. I did feel that the new 991 was a better highway cruiser, but it loses the true sports car feel that becomes apparent when you do the back country roads full of twisties and hills. Lancaster, PA was a great proving ground for my test drives.

Although I have not driven the F30, from what I have read, as well as when I drove the F10 to compare our E60, I think both BMW and Porsche have headed in the direction of more comfort to attract a broader customer base.
I think this is spot on. Many point to the 991 as one of the shinning examples of a well-executed EPS, and I believe it is. However, when compared the the 997, the 991 does feel muted and less communicative. Unless one has prior experience with the 997, the 991 will feel perfectly fine... but it has lost that slight edge that made the predecessor so magical.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
... I wish I had gotten one many years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money by not switching cars along the way, and always searching to find the one!...
The One. The mythical One - The One car that perfectly satisfies your needs and desires. The One car that satisfies your enthusiast's soul. The One that transcends price point - old model - new model - electronic this or that. The One that may, or may not, be the fastest or the most comfortable. The One that transcends prestige. The One is in your head and in your heart. You know it when you see it - with the first push of the start button - the first time you blip the gas - Vrrooom Vrrooom - the first time you and the machine magically connect to launch yourself into a fantastic land of automotive bliss. You understand that the machine is alive and that you have never been more alive. You savor the moment.

Cars come and go - they get faster - slicker - more of this and more of that - but "progress" does not necessarily provide automotive sustenance for the soul. It is a wise man who understands what he has before he relinquishes it. I understand your passion for your car - my E92 M3 is the one....at least for this moment.......

Last edited by Capobranco; 09-25-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: bmw sedan
What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I doubt that the turbo motor will offer the linearity of the NA V8.
linearity???
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockonrad View Post
linearity???
He probably means throttle response. A turbo motor's never going to have the throttle response of a N/A motor.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 AM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
911-GTS ( Its that Good)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche Crest (640x640).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	381309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peachtree 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	381310  
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK Z435IS View Post
911-GTS ( Its that Good)
What's this have to do with the new M3? Besides, that 911 is still no Ferrari.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................