Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Towing with V8 vs I6

Hey everyone! Currently I own a 2003 x5 with the I6 and 135k. I've been towing a 6x10 all aluminum enclosed trailer with 2 lightweight motorcycles with the car. Fully loaded the trailer weighs about 3000lbs as a heavy estimate. The car drives wonderfully below about 50mph. But, the wind on the highway as well as the trailer weight keep the X5 downshifting. I would say about half the time on the highway it downshifts into 4th gear. So, about about 70 mph it sits around 3500. If I get behind a big truck to block the wind it won't downshift.

Anyway here is where you com in. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2005 or 2006 4.4i. As i understand they have about 100 more HP and a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed. The tranny gives it a 6000lb tow rating. I know my current x5 can handle the trailer, but, it aggravating the way it always shifts. I plan to tow a few thousand miles every year so the extra abuse could take it's toll.

What kind of differences can I expect from the change? Does anyone have a similar upgrade experience? I'm sure it's been covered, but is there anything specific I should look for?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Ads by Google