Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 323Ci
Do you know where I can find a similar procedure and operation sequence for a 95 325iC? My top does not work electrically at all. Just got the car and it's one of the first things I want to troubleshoot.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Sorry, no clue since I do not own a 3-series...
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Driving with a permagrin

Mein Auto: '04 E61 530d SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
That sounds like the "Compartment Floor Switch" located on the back wall of your trunk (boot). That was the first problem I had with my top. The arm came off the switch, so I replaced it.

Picture of the switch with the arm missing:

The switch assembly:
That's exactly my issue. Does that plastic part with the switch inside simply click or slide out of the rear firewall? Or is there a trick to removing it? I've ordered the new switch (minus the plastic cover) but want to take out the part in the meantime to see if can jury-rig it for now. Weather is too nice not to drive around with top down.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM

The whole assembly is held by one Torx screw. Remove the screw, pull the assembly out and disconnect the switch. You can then take a piece of wire and jumper the socket until you receive the new switch.
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Driving with a permagrin

Mein Auto: '04 E61 530d SE
Quote:
The whole assembly is held by one Torx screw.
I assume it's the lower of the two holes in the plastic part based off of your pictures?
Thanks for the information though, most informative. I would not have guessed at first that it could be this switch. Here's hoping that's all that's wrong with it!

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Can you help me by showing me how to remove the rooftop, if possible through a video??? Any help will be appreciated!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM

No videos.

Just look at the DIY's on this site. There are two of them, how to remove the softtop and how to replace the motor.
Pretty self explanatory.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
03 BMW Z4 Convertible Top Problem. Don't think its the motor!

Replaced my top last year. Since then top closes slow and It sounds like the hydraulic fluid builds up pressure until it has enough force to move the linkage. Not sure if the fluid needs to be toped up and if this is the case, can it be done without taking the top off.

Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deros50 View Post
can it be done without taking the top off.

Thanks

This has been discussed here on several occasions.

But if you think you need more fluid, then you have bigger issues than low fluid.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 z4
And, if you find the arm, the switch can be reassembled quite easily....overstaffing the trunk with groceries and stuff can make the deck floor bounce up and down, that switch if pushed the wrong way it is quite fragile.

Awkward spot, I use a very long extension and it makes it easier....also, undoing the flap attached to the floor that moves up and down for the roof space, gives you easy access to the upper screw of the switch.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4
Quick Manual

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...%20Vehicle.pdf

page 23 onwards, find on E85 Complete Vehicle Tab.

Your Welcome
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: '08 z4 osi
I want to THANK YOU for all your time...you have helped so many...! I had the problem with the top going down...thanks to you, I lowered the 'floor'...tried again, the windows came half-way down...the top was un-latched and then nothing! so, I put it down myself...but, could not get it to go back up!! I hate to use the 'female' word but I am! I really get into a car and expect it to work and if doesn't...I am LOST! I live in the country so I would have to take my little car there...but, again I sure do thank you for your all you have done for me and others...ps my Dad was a marine aviator in all wars, Vietnam and Korea and the Bay of Pigs...I thank you, Sir!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: '08 z4 osi
your wife's car is just like mine...The Black Cat!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0
Top flashed red light and wouldn't go back up

I contacted the dealer and everyone else and they told me I had a bad pump/motor. The first thing I did was pull the switch in the trunk and check it, it worked fine. the next thing I did was find a small guage wire and jump the switch wiring harness to simulate a closed switch. The top worked fine! What turned out is the connector for the switch in the trunk was dirty, not allowing it to make good contact. I cleaned it and haven't had any problems for 6 months! If I would have brought it in I believe they would have gone right to the motor, replacing the switch also. I guess this is the same thing I would have done if I didn't get lucky and jump the harness. Saved $1500.00!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto:
After reading all the posts I originally thought the motor is the problem on mine ... However with reading this "switch" info ... I'm not so sure that may be it.. How can I determine the difference? When I turn the key and push the down button ... I only get a solid red light .. No sound, no movement, no nothing

Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVpaid4it View Post
After reading all the posts I originally thought the motor is the problem on mine ... However with reading this "switch" info ... I'm not so sure that may be it.. How can I determine the difference? When I turn the key and push the down button ... I only get a solid red light .. No sound, no movement, no nothing

Are you seeing a solid red light or an orange light? When the switch is indicating the compartment floor is in the up position an orange light, just slightly lower than the normal top operation red light, is illuminated. It's not a greatly different shade than the usual red, but if you look closely you'd see a difference.
When my main motor died, the forward latch motor still operated. If your storage floor switch is bad the forward latch motor won't run.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 AM

If the Compartment Floor switch is faulty, the motor will not OPEN the top.
If you open the top (use the manual procedure) and attempt to CLOSE the top normally and it works, that proves the Compartment Floor switch is GOOD......
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Isaiah

Send a message via Yahoo to Isaiah73 Send a message via Skype™ to Isaiah73
Quote:
The main cause of this (but not limited to) is normally the rear switch. (Convertible Compartment Floor Switch) This is a known issue.

Did you first pull/set the red hydraulic release handle located in the trunk? If you did not do this, the top WILL be very hard to move....

See this link on how to move the top manually:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=11274

Personally, I really do think your electro-hydraulic motor is going out. Unless I read this wrong, the top goes down easier than going back up. Of course. It takes less hydraulic pressure to lower the top than it takes to raise the top.

Here are two links that tell you how to remove the top from the car and how to replace your motor:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10189

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10190

Hello ship did you happen to have the PDF format it looks like I will need to replace the motor myself. I don't see the pictures on the link you have up.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
Isaiah

Send a message via Yahoo to Isaiah73 Send a message via Skype™ to Isaiah73
I get the same results, just solider red light and if I play with the switch it sometimes rolls down then problems rolling back up. I have to manual release then roll up then press button to roll down then it will roll back up normally.

Is this the results of a bad switch ?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM

PM an email address.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Shipkiller's top PDF's are available at the top of page 6 of the "Z4 how to's" sticky.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 2.5_Si
Can I just add for anyone planning on removing their soft top - the top might be soft, but the frame under it isn't - Shipkiller's guides are great and I couldn't have done the job without them, but it might pay to mask off or protect the roll bar covers behind the seats before removing the top, as I managed to scratch mine a bit with all the movement of the top back and forth while fitting and removing it (admittedly I removed the top 3 times before figuring out I was a complete muppet with plug connections). It certainly wouldn't hurt to protect them as now I have to figure out how to remove them and repaint them one day (a warm summer's day job, and spring's still a few weeks away down here...). I've heard the tabs that hold the 2 halves together are a pig and nearly impossible to remove without breaking some tabs...
Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
Yesterday the top of my 2006 3.0i reached the windshield everything stopped and I could not raise or lower it, nothing, just a flashing red light.

I pulled the red handle and lowered the top, the motor that locks the top into place did its thing.

Later I unlocked it by pressing the close button and heard the hydraulic pump start but as the red handle was still pulled so I raised it manually and locked it with the manual crank (47 turns to lock or unlock). The top goes up and down so easily by hand it makes me wonder why BMW went through the complication, expense and weight of making it automatic.

Once the top is an inch from the windshield there is no reaction when either button is pressed but when in the down position everything seems to work OK so I think both motors are OK.

I think there is a sensor or switch that may be bad which I believe may be the "closed top" switch pictured in the 3 of 4 picture earlier in this thread, is there a way to check the switch without just replacing in? Does my assumption that it is this switch sound correct?

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson