Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Exclamation F25 Owners - please check parked car vent

Hey all,

I can't get parked-car ventilation working (per instructions on p123 of the owner's manual). Does anyone else have this working? Here's a pic of the idrive screen - note that the option for on-demand ventilation is greyed out. (The timers can be activated but nothing happens.)

If this DOES work for you, could you share any relevant information?

If it DOESN'T, could you please take a moment to contact BMW Customer Service and lodge a report? The more people who report this, the sooner it'll be fixed.

(I'm also assuming that this is the reason it's not showing up on my BMW Remote app for iPhone.)

Thanks for your time.

aberrant

(Edit: this is MY14, just FYI. All ConnectedDrive options are working.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	381362  

Last edited by aberrant; 06-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Might be a dumb question, but is the ignition off?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but is the ignition off?
Ignition was off (in accessory mode, obv.) Good question though, and the first one the customer care rep asked, so you're in great company
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
My recollection is that I just set and activate the timer(s).
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
I just use my android phone and enable it remotely
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
I just use my android phone and enable it remotely
Yeah - for some reason, the iphone app has the feature in its demo mode, but it doesn't show up when I log in to the non-demo. That's part of the problem.

Can anyone who's got it working confirm that the display is NOT greyed out as shown in my original post? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM

My screen looks like yours. The top bar is greyed out and the two timers are settable. I wonder if it is different in a non-US-spec X3?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
What exactly does parked car vent do anyways? The timer part I understand, but if you are in a park car, couldnt you just turn on the vent anyways?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
What exactly does parked car vent do anyways? The timer part I understand, but if you are in a park car, couldnt you just turn on the vent anyways?
Yes - but the ad hoc (as opposed to scheduled) vent presumably allows you to do it via the BMW Remote app (which isn't working).
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
Yes - but the ad hoc (as opposed to scheduled) vent presumably allows you to do it via the BMW Remote app (which isn't working).
One doesn't have to do anything with the other. I've never accessed the climate section in i-drive (and it's greyed out just like yours) and I can control thermal conditioning from my phone. The only difference is that I'm using a non-us version of the app because the android app isn't "officially" available in the US yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM

According to the 2013 X3's manual, the parked car ventilation is simply a manual on instead of using the timer. The idea is to manually turn it on for 30 minutes after you park and leave the car. It seems like the one can doing the same thing by using the timer, set the start time to the current time. Maybe thats why BMW grey that function out.

"Parked-car ventilation
The concept
The parked-car ventilation ventilates the vehicle
interior and lowers its temperature, if necessary.
The system can be switched on and off at any
external temperature, either directly or by using
two preset switch-on times. It remains switched
on for 30 minutes.
Open the vents to allow air to flow out.
Operation can be performed via iDrive.
Switching on/off directly
1. "Settings"
2. "Climate"
3. "Activate parked-car vent."
The symbol on the automatic climate control
flashes if the system is switched on."
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
just some random guy

Quote:
1. "Settings"
2. "Climate"
3. "Activate parked-car vent."
The symbol on the automatic climate control
flashes if the system is switched on."
Yup, and #3 is exactly what's not working since the option is greyed out. Glad to hear it's not just me

BUT: the timers don't do anything, either. Sure, you can set them, and they "go off", but they don't actually turn on ventilation. They just deactivate at the given time.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
One doesn't have to do anything with the other. I've never accessed the climate section in i-drive (and it's greyed out just like yours) and I can control thermal conditioning from my phone. The only difference is that I'm using a non-us version of the app because the android app isn't "officially" available in the US yet.
Wow - that's really interesting. I tried the German version of the app (switched my iTunes country) but it still didn't work. Oh well - back to customer service, I guess. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yup, and #3 is exactly what's not working since the option is greyed out. Glad to hear it's not just me

BUT: the timers don't do anything, either. Sure, you can set them, and they "go off", but they don't actually turn on ventilation. They just deactivate at the given time.
If I set a timer for the time of day that I normally leave my office then I'll find the fan running when I get to my car.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I think I read somewhere that this would work in Canada vehicles but I can't remember where I saw it. My ConnectedDrive still does not work after two months. I can send maps to the car though using MyBMW Remote.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsan View Post
I think I read somewhere that this would work in Canada vehicles but I can't remember where I saw it. My ConnectedDrive still does not work after two months. I can send maps to the car though using MyBMW Remote.
Check the other thread about this. I've found a solution that BMW says is now the way to correct the problem. Basically, just have them delete and reprovision your BMW Assist profile, and then do not add other drivers or emergency contact information (this is apparently what's causing the technical issues).
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Check the other thread about this. I've found a solution that BMW says is now the way to correct the problem. Basically, just have them delete and reprovision your BMW Assist profile, and then do not add other drivers or emergency contact information (this is apparently what's causing the technical issues).
Thanks aberrant I did see this. I'll have my CA research it for me. I don't know why BMW Assist wouldn't do this for all of us having this problem.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:

The timer is to turn on the fans on low and it will stay on for 30 mins after the set time.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
WHich iPhone has an app to remotely control the ventilation? Mine only lets you blow the horm, lock/unlock, and flash the lights.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Space Metal Gray X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYWHATNEXT View Post
WHich iPhone has an app to remotely control the ventilation? Mine only lets you blow the horm, lock/unlock, and flash the lights.
The BMW Connected APP. In the demo mode it has the capability of venting the car. However, when you are actually able to log on, that functionality has disappeared.

Frustrating.....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM

My CA confirmed it does not appear to work on any BMW model they have delivered. So it might not be available in the USA. He had told me when I asked that BMW does not support remote start. Maybe they are nervous about providing this functionality for legal reasons in the US. Remote venting is letting the car run fans unattended.

He is now working more to solve my ConnectedDrive-not-working problem. Hopefully he finds someone who knows what's going on. So far I have been unsuccessful.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 2.8
Parked Car Vent

abberant... why the manual doesn't explain better, who knows?... to access parked car vent . go to settings, climate.. (parked car vent setting) while engine is running, turn engine off..( press once) leave ignition on.. vent setting should now be highlighted, check box, set temp to come on at, on climate control.. press ignition off. ... Good luck, hope this helps..

Last edited by Bobba; 06-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
The first option is available when ignition is off and car in accessory mode, ie when you first shut off the car and about to make a quickie stop at Starbucks. This is similar to the REST mode on older BMW and Benz, but the difference is that this one is buried under menus and can only be triggered within the first few minutes after stop.

The second and third options are timers that can be set anytime but will only run when everything is powered off. You do need to set this up after each run. The timers won't rerun itself on a daily basis
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
just some random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post
The first option is available when ignition is off and car in accessory mode, ie when you first shut off the car and about to make a quickie stop at Starbucks. This is similar to the REST mode on older BMW and Benz, but the difference is that this one is buried under menus and can only be triggered within the first few minutes after stop.
And on my car (and others'), the option is greyed out. Why?

(EDIT: "within the first few minutes after stop" - is this true? I couldn't find any documentation of this limitation and will have to try it after my next drive. Thanks!)

Quote:
The second and third options are timers that can be set anytime but will only run when everything is powered off. You do need to set this up after each run. The timers won't rerun itself on a daily basis
And on my car, setting the timers doesn't do anything when the time comes. The timers reset, but no venting takes place.

Both of these things run counter to my understanding (which parallels yours) and the description online and in the manual, which makes me wonder whether the car has a problem, or even whether the functionality was enabled in MY2014. That's why I asked the question here.

Last edited by aberrant; 06-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
just some random guy

I just checked. The parked car ventilation option was NOT greyed out immediately after turning the car off. Thanks, poker838!!!