Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
F30's Any common issues since introduction?

Put in my order on a 2014.

Anyway, just wondering if any common defects have shown up. I realize it is a fairly new model but if there were certain defects related to a part bound to fail, a few might have raised their heads by now.

If you have had any issue, please enlighten me.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
It's hard to tell how common any problem is by looking at the internet, because any problem is accompanied by a huge echo chamber effect. Unlike in space, when you scream on the Internet, EVERYONE hears you. Then they start screaming too.

That said, F30 335 M Sport sedans seem to have people reporting a "limp mode" where the computer cuts power to the engine and revs the cooling fan up to maximum speed. Switching the car off and restarting removes the problem for some length of time, from days to months to forever, depending on who's reporting it.

328 sedans seem to have a recurring issue where power assist to the brakes suddenly fails for some odd reason and brakes are very hard to apply.

You can see threads on these issues over at f30post.com.

That said, let me repeat - go to your pantry and get out your Morton's salt shaker before you read these threads at f30post. By the time you're through, you're either swearing you'll never buy a car of any kind again but will stick to horse transportation, or you're laughing. Depends on your temperament. And don't make any conclusions from the length of the threads. Instead, count the number of distinct posters who have reported the problem. Don't count repeats and don't count the "I'm heading to my dealer! "I'm at my dealer! OMG! Speaking with SA!" "SA is signing me in!" posts which all condense down to a single incident.

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 06-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Check to see if you seat frames and pans are corroded. Mine were!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
It's hard to tell how common any problem is by looking at the internet, because any problem is accompanied by a huge echo chamber effect. Unlike in space, when you scream on the Internet, EVERYONE hears you. Then they start screaming too.

That said, F30 335 M Sport sedans seem to have people reporting a "limp mode" where the computer cuts power to the engine and revs the cooling fan up to maximum speed. Switching the car off and restarting removes the problem for some length of time, from days to months to forever, depending on who's reporting it.

328 sedans seem to have a recurring issue where power assist to the brakes suddenly fails for some odd reason and brakes are very hard to apply.

You can see threads on these issues over at f30post.com.

That said, let me repeat - go to your pantry and get out your Morton's salt shaker before you read these threads at f30post. By the time you're through, you're either swearing you'll never buy a car of any kind again but will stick to horse transportation, or you're laughing. Depends on your temperament. And don't make any conclusions from the length of the threads. Instead, count the number of distinct posters who have reported the problem. Don't count repeats and don't count the "I'm heading to my dealer! "I'm at my dealer! OMG! Speaking with SA!" "SA is signing me in!" posts which all condense down to a single incident.
I hear you. I am coming from modified Toyota's and Honda's with high hp that never break anything, so I am a bit spoiled, but I have owned domestics so I know the nickel and dime routine. I don't mind DIY stuff, but that is not until the four year warranty is up. Just wanted to know if there are a couple things that happen to everybody so I know to be prepared.

The couple BMW owners I have talked to had horror stories about replacing everything, even stuff that should not have a problem at their mileage level like catalytic converters, and these were not hard driving folks, pretty mellow. But they owned older product, and I have no idea if BMW has earned itself a better reputation for reliability than they may have or if it is justified.

One friend bought an e46 M3 (if I have my model correct) and drove the snot out of it for 40,000 miles and sold it without issue. Other people complain they bought a base e46 and had nothing but problems. Hard to figure out.

But logic would tell you that if all BMW's were nothing but trouble filled lemons, they would not be selling $50,000+ cars like they do in the increasing figures they generate. That would seem incongruent. And while I would expect to have bought a solid car, some people have 2 parts fail out of thousands, have them replaced under warranty and declare the car to be a complete POS. An issue or two sorted out under warranty is not a big deal to me, as long as I get a loaner and it does not take a month to sort it out.

Last edited by jwalz1; 06-14-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Check out reliability information at TrueDelta: http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-3-Series/reliability-13

Some fit and finish related issues seem to be recurrent (squeaks, rattles, etc.), but the overall frequency of repairs for F30 3-Series is fairly low.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Check out reliability information at TrueDelta: http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-3-Series/reliability-13

Some fit and finish related issues seem to be recurrent (squeaks, rattles, etc.), but the overall frequency of repairs for F30 3-Series is fairly low.

Thanks for the link. Recent JD power info on 3 series seems to be pretty good but I don't find any info on f30, just up to 2011's.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
I've had a very early build F30 since Feb 12, a couple of very minor issues sorted out by the dealer but overall it's doing very well.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
The cat failures I am sure are due to the excessive carbon soot the BMW engines shoot out. Since I noticed how black my tail pipes get after cleaning, I started to look at all the cars and BMW is the blackest by far. But if that goes it should be under warranty. One of my friends who is a BMW owner said they are great cars until they are out of warranty. He said never own one past the warranty period.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: G37
I have had a 2013 335i Sport for a couple months now. Maybe I'm sensitive to noise, but I think the wind noise coming from the driver's side upper front door/window seal is excessive at roughly 60mph, depending on external wind patterns. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the passenger side too, but I have not been a passenger at those speeds yet. This is a $55k car, and I don't think it should have that much wind/seal noise.

Other than that, it's the best car I've ever had, coming from a Infiniti G37s.

Last edited by lip11; 06-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
There were a number of complaints regarding a steering wheel shimmy in the '12 F30 and some early build '13 models. I haven't seen any recent posts about it so it may have been fixed/addressed.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
F30's Any common issues since introduction?

Sh!tty steering seems to be pretty common problem with the F30. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi MPPK Sprt Lin
Check for rust under the seats (mine had this), IDrive rebooting issue is common but not a fatal error, GET THE ADAPTIVE SUSPENSION AND STEERING (mine doesnt have it and the bouncy suspension and loose steering is terrible), test drive whatever you get at freeway speeds on imperfect roads.

Overall its a very luxurious car, but I wouldnt want to own one out of warranty given the amount of problems I have already had on a brand new car.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Here's mine:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=689209

To cut the long story short BMW ended up replacing my entire turbo unit but dealing with this for the first 5000 miles was a PITA.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
We have only experienced too rapid acceleration and perfect handling in the corners - crap, I tell ya'!