Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
The refrigerant pressure switch is on the receiver/dryer under the headlight. You can use a jumper wire at the plug to see if that's the problem.
There is also a temperature sensor switch mounted on the side of the compressor in the wire that goes to the clutch. However, it's downstream from the plug, so if you don't have 12v at the compressor plug, that's not your problem.
The A/C compressor relay is a yellow one (BMW: 61361389105, Siemens: V23134-K52-X181) and there is another one in the box. You could swap the two. If that doesn't work, start checking the voltages at the relay plug.

Last edited by Blacklane; 06-15-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 Mercedes E320
Have 12 volts on 2 wires to the refrigerant presssure switch (only pressure switch on the drier), plug it in it controls the electric cooling fan in front of the condenser, ohmed out the wires leaving the plug, found them both to be in the fan relay socket, jumped out the wires from the pressure switch, high and low speed for fan, swapped relays, both operate the same. Ohmed out the wire from the compressor plug to the relay socket, good continuity, jumped from power source in the relay socket, compressor clutch energized. Still unable to find source of power for relay coil. I am now wondering if the evaporator temperature sensor may be bad. Am going to look for it and try to ohm it out to see if its open, closed or has a variable resistance with temperature change.
Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help with this, and the other questions I have had.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
How about the A/C switch in the cockpit? I had one of those go bad once. I also think the evaporator temp switch is likely, but I don't know where it is right off. You sure have eliminated a lot of things.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM

I think the switch is ok, It lights up and the auxiliary radiator fan runs. Unless the switch is a double pole switch. I am thinking it must either be a bad evaporator temp sensor or bad connection to it.

Thanks for all your help on this and all the other Z3 issues I have had, I am about ready to give up on the service engine soon light issue and take the car to BMW dealer.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Update on 1999 Z3 A/C, took it to shop, they report the compressor is controlled by some sort of computer which is tied into the ECU, which is also connected to the outside air temp sensor, and instrument cluster, when jumping out one of the wires from the snow flake switch to the ac head end, the compressor did run, but pressures were not right, and air temp from vents was only 70 degrees, switch did control a/c compressor. Upon picking car up at shop, the a/c was putting out 46 degree air, cooled great, however the compressor would not shut off and the light on the snowflake switch would not go out, took car back to shop, they removed the jumper wire, found the compressor clutch had too much air gap, so they took out a shim, they then found a/c to work correctly with exception when blower is on high, the compressor will drop out and not run until you go back to a lower speed, this is with the recirulate button on or off.
Refirgerant circuit is charged correctly.

Does anyone have any input or ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Senikc
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM

Something new with the A/C today. cooling good, stopped engine for about 15 minutes, when I got back in car, no A/C no power to blower, no power to snow flake or air recirculation buttons, drove car about 5 minutes (4 blocks) A/C power back on, and cooling good again.

Any ideas? looking like its about time to visit the dealer

Thanks for any ideas here.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 99 z-3
a/c relay

Is the relay in fuse box. any one know which are the 2 that can be swithced out to test if one is bad?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by senikc View Post
Something new with the A/C today. cooling good, stopped engine for about 15 minutes, when I got back in car, no A/C no power to blower, no power to snow flake or air recirculation buttons, drove car about 5 minutes (4 blocks) A/C power back on, and cooling good again.

Any ideas? looking like its about time to visit the dealer

Thanks for any ideas here.
Maybe alternator is going bad? sounds like extended use, plus then starting the car, drained the battery and the alternator had to recharge enough to power the AC again... just conjecture.

When you say "dealer", I hope you mean enthusiastic, competent, independent BMW mechanic not affiliated with a dealer in any way...

Because dealer = $tealer.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:55 AM

A/C will start up when engine has just started, compressor will start, compressor will drop out for no reason, will drop out on high fan, or low fan speed at times, It has been suggested that the blower resistor or ambient temperature sensor may be causing problem. Both pretty cheap, have ordered these parts.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Replaced the blower resistor, and ambient temp sensor, no change in symptoms, replaced A/C control module on the side of the heater box, A/C ran on all fan speeds, compressor did not drop out on any speed, was ready to re-install knee bolster and trim panel under dash, now blower does not run, no power to blower motor, have checked I have power to relay, relay operates, have power to fan speed switch, and a/c and recirculation (snowflake switch) are there any connectors in the wire between the fan speed switch and the blower resistor?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM

Problem appears to be solved, A/C runs on all blower speeds now. 47 degree air on high with outside temp at 85 degrees. Loose connection.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM

Problem fixed after nearly 2 years, under dash connector on drivers side of heater box near a/c control relay multi wire plug had loose connection, finally bumped the plug and it came apart. Plugged back up and no problems with a/c for the last 3 weeks. Hope this helps others.