Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Run flat repair or replace the $500 question.

Today I herd a tapping sound coming from one of my rear tires, when I took a closer look I found screw in the center of the tire tread. I tried to remove it and when I start to pull it out I herd air starting to leak out, so I stopped. The TPS shows everything as ok.

The car has less then 1000 miles on it so the tires are new. The dealer states the tire has to be replaced at the cost of $500. I have had run flats on a BMW before but never had to cross this bridge. So the question is can I patch this tire and not be warred about it compromising the tire.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Last edited by playdrum; 06-13-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Lol, in jersey our roads sucks I was forced to purchase the tire insurance from the dealer, so far had 2 flats in a year which made it justifiable.

In your case, if the damage is near the side walls, it's better to replace, otherwise without pictures it really depends on your good judgement. Also your tire is still new, it's better also to get a new tire to have uniform wear.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
I'd repair - I have done so before with a run-flat and would do so again without hesitation. As for tire wear, the tire on the car is better-matched wear-wise to the other wheel than a new unworn tire would be.

Unless you've run on the tire for a distance without air, I'd have zero hesitation at all in repairing a run flat where the breach is in the center of the tire. I'd only replace if I were planning to track the car and/or run at very high speeds for an extended period. Absent either of those two, and you can't do the latter in the US anyway, I'd repair that tire in a heartbeat.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: German
Find a place that can patch them. Unless the screw is in the shoulder or side-wall, you can get it fixed. No reason to drop $500
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d

Just had a flat myself... Dealer price was $524 in So. FL. Thank god I had the tire/wheel insurance. No deductible, paid $1000 for 3 years. One more flat and the insurance paid for itself!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If the sidewall is not compromised, a runflat is no different from a normal tire. I dont replace my non-flat tires everytime I get a flat and the same hold true for runflat tires as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

I found someone to do the repair, let me tell you it was not easy! Called over 6 shops. The only bad thing is that they chewed up the rim reinstalling the tire. So I'm off to the dealer anyway for a rim repair on their dime. What an incoveanice, most shops really don't have the right equipment or training to deal with the stiffness of the run flats.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon

Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
I found someone to do the repair, let me tell you it was not easy! Called over 6 shops. The only bad thing is that they chewed up the rim reinstalling the tire. So I'm off to the dealer anyway for a rim repair on their dime. What an incoveanice, most shops really don't have the right equipment or training to deal with the stiffness of the run flats.
You may be able to get a replacement tire for free from the manufacturer directly since the tire is still essentially new. GL
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 06-15-2013, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750ix msport
Goodyear will replace tire free of charge less installation within first year. After first yer it's prorated. Not sureif getting a nail is considered road hazard. It's in you manual.

Retired:
2011 BMW 550ix M-sport
2009 E92 335i M-sport
2006 Acura TL
2004 Mazda 6GT
1987 BMW 325is
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Replace......them all! RFTs totally suck and you will not be sorry once you notice the difference in ride and handling with a quality non-RFT, such as Michelin PSS.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfinger View Post
Replace......them all! RFTs totally suck and you will not be sorry once you notice the difference in ride and handling with a quality non-RFT, such as Michelin PSS.
This is very true. It will transform the car.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
li never attempt to remove screws or nails
the tire can be patched.

contact good year for warranty info.
since its now the weekend you should be able to read the warranty on the web site if you dont have a copy with your owners manual.

my tire shop charges $20. for a patch ,although i have yet to have them patch a runflat.
if good year covers it,you will have to go to a good year tire center
for 20 bucks you might prefer to go to a tire shop of your choice,that might be more conveinant.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thank for all the input guys

Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Goodyear will replace tire free of charge less installation within first year. After first yer it's prorated. Not sure if getting a nail is considered road hazard. It's in you manual.
+1, every new car has an OEM warranty on their tires for the 1st year (from the tire manufacture), it's on the CD that came with the car, it includes road hazard, and *should* be replaced for free....

After that 1st year, get all your tires *warrantied* by Americas Tire (or whoever you have out there), for about $250.00 for all 4... Much cheaper than the warranty through BMW (unless of course you go through multiple sets of tires...)

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 06-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

This is right from the Goodyear site it states that punctures is not covered.

What is not covered by this warranty?

This limited warranty does not cover:

Tires submitted for ride disturbance that are worn beyond the first 2/32 in. (.16 cm) tread depth or tires submitted for ride disturbance due to damaged wheels, or any vehicle condition.
Goodyear does not warrant or give credit in any adjustment transaction for any kind of material added to a tire (e.g., tire fillers, sealants, balancing substances) after the tire leaves a factory producing Goodyear tires, nor will it adjust any tire that has failed as a result of adding such material
Irregular wear or damage due to mechanical condition of the vehicle, improper inflation, overloading, high-speed spin-up, misapplication, misuse, negligence, racing, use of tire chains, improper mounting or demounting, improper repair, wreck, collision, or fire
Road hazards (includes, but not limited to, punctures, cuts, snags, impact breaks, etc.)
Any tire that, after leaving a factory producing Goodyear tires, has been intentionally altered to change its appearance (e.g., white inlay on a black tire, or re-grooved)
Tires removed from service due to improper repairs
Tires with weather-cracking that were purchased more than four (4) years prior to presentation for adjustment or, if purchase date cannot be verified, manufactured more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment
Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of vehicle use, or incidental or consequential damages
Cosmetic weather checking
Low tire pressure-monitoring system refer to vehicle manufacturer's warranty
Temporary spare tires used on vehicles used in racing and on passenger cars in special applications such as police pursuit service.
Goodyear Unisteel Commercial Radial Light Truck tires.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: !!
this is an embarrassing issue, I'm disappointed with Bmw. so much for the m sport package with 19 inch wheel and tires.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM

does anyone know if the dealer will install a Michelin or bridge stone when ordering a new car? or do they stick with the good year.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus26 View Post
this is an embarrassing issue, I'm disappointed with Bmw. so much for the m sport package with 19 inch wheel and tires.
Quote:
does anyone know if the dealer will install a Michelin or bridge stone when ordering a new car? or do they stick with the good year.
I think you really need to do more homework before claiming the m-sport package is the culprit. Sure 19's don't help, but it is more about the stiffness of the RF's than the "m-sport" package. 19" wheels are the way to go with the F10, 18" wheels look too small. As for getting BMW to put non-OEM tires on it, not gonna happen. The F10 might not be the car for you.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM

For a $75000.00 car to not get their S**T straight and Plus charge you a tire/wheel insurance so that I can spend my time at the dealer instead of having a leisurely drive elsewhere is kinda of asinine of BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
I think you really need to do more homework before claiming the m-sport package is the culprit. Sure 19's don't help, but it is more about the stiffness of the RF's than the "m-sport" package. 19" wheels are the way to go with the F10, 18" wheels look too small. As for getting BMW to put non-OEM tires on it, not gonna happen. The F10 might not be the car for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Quote:
For a $75000.00 car to not get their S**T straight and Plus charge you a tire/wheel insurance so that I can spend my time at the dealer instead of having a leisurely drive elsewhere is kinda of asinine of BMW.
Doesn't sound like BMW in general is the right car for you. I have paid over $100k for a BMW's and found myself at the dealer more than I would have liked. It comes with the territory. I would suggest a Lexus for you. Are you new to BMW?

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Didn't realize a 100k car spends more time at the shop than on the road? seriously is this a joke.

owned 525xi until it hit 140K a reliable beast, except for pcv and washer pump failure. there was no issue.

With this new car my question simply states why doesn't BMW offer a non-rft (michelin) as well as RFT (the crappy goodyear) and let the customer choose. Do I want to drive the car more often or spend time at the dealer. In your case I guess you have enough time to spend at the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
Doesn't sound like BMW in general is the right car for you. I have paid over $100k for a BMW's and found myself at the dealer more than I would have liked. It comes with the territory. I would suggest a Lexus for you. Are you new to BMW?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Didn't realize a 100k car spends more time at the shop than on the road? seriously is this a joke.

owned 525xi until it hit 140K a reliable beast, except for pcv and washer pump failure. there was no issue.

With this new car my question simply states why doesn't BMW offer a non-rft (michelin) as well as RFT (the crappy goodyear) and let the customer choose. Do I want to drive the car more often or spend time at the dealer. In your case I guess you have enough time to spend at the dealer.
Sell the run flats and buy some non run flat michelins and you will be very happy.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Groccery Getter

Mein Auto: E46 325iT/F10 550
I have two OEM Rear run flats for sale with less than 100 miles on them if anybody is intrested. I decided to go with Michelins all the way around.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Quote:

He didnt say it spent more time at the dealership than on the road. If you put low-profile, 19" or 20" wheels on ANY car and run them on roads with holes in them you won't be satisfied with the outcome. I choose to take the risk and drive one of the nicest looking cars on this planet. BTW, if you are buying new I can hook you guys up with a tire/wheel warranty for under $500 - that works with zero issues. Wont work for tires already on the road...PM me and I can put you in touch with the guy/dealer.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i MSport 6MT
Is repair or replace the only options? You forgot the most important one...REMOVE.

Going from Runflats to Pilot Sport A/S was like night and day with cornering ability and ride quality. I personally think it is a crime that BMW marginalizes their cars with horrible rough riding runflats, to save a few pounds and the trunk space that a spare would take up.

Ditch those pieces of junk! (and get a AAA membership in case you do get a flat)

2012 550i MSport 6MT - Dinan S3 - Imperial Blue Metalic/Everest Gray - 20" 373M Wheels