Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

I love my BMWs, but I've never had a car as unreliable they have been. I've owned 1 Mazda, 3 Hondas, 2 Jeeps, 1 Infiniti and now 2 BMWs. I didn't have a single major problem with my previous 7 cars, but my BMWs have been rendered undriveable at least 5 times now. I had more problems with my first BMW in the first 6 months than my all of my previous 19 years of cars combined. I've lost track of how many fuel pumps I've gone through, even after BMW 'fixed' the problem with them. I think I'm up to 4. Again Friday night on the way home at 1am my car went into limp mode. Thankfully I was close to home, but the first time it happened it was 11pm 2h from home in a McDonald's parking lot in Seaman, OH, 1h+ from any civilization. The closest dealership and/or car rental was 1h+ away in Cincinnati where I had my car towed. No car rental places are open at 1am on a Sunday morning so I was stranded and had to have someone come get me.

I'm embarrassed how many times the big flat bed truck has had to come to my little neighborhood to haul my "luxury car" away to the dealer. I don't even tell my family or friends that its broken again because its always followed by, "Why the heck do you keep buying them?" I guess its because I truly love the cars and every time I get it fixed I forget how unreliable it is until it randomly goes into limp mode again on me.

I don't understand BMW's problem. I don't know why the cars are just so darn unreliable or what it is they can do about it. I will NEVER own a BMW out of warranty because that would seem insane to me. I will get a 435, but I won't say it doesn't give me pause. I sure hope they've done something special with that car to make it not repeatedly fail me.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
I'm embarrassed how many times the big flat bed truck has had to come to my little neighborhood to haul my "high end luxury car" away to the dealer. It will happen again in the morning. I don't even tell my family or friends that its broken again because its always followed with, "Why the heck do you keep getting them?"

Closer to "high priced entry level w/potential car"

Gotta agree - can be an expensive PITA. Can also go around a corner and 80 mph comes real quick.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Gotta agree - can be an expensive PITA. Can also go around a corner and 80 mph comes real quick.
Tonight I went around a corner at 5mph because that's all the faster the car would go in limp mode.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM
I Know Nothing

Mein Auto: '10 E92 335i
Quote:
I don't even tell my family or friends that its broken again because its always followed with, "Why the heck do you keep getting them?"
Fair question. What's your answer? There has to be a good reason, especially since you said you would buy a new one again.....

2010 E92 335i
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2007 E93 328i (Sold)
2002 Ford Focus SVT (Sold)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (Sold)
1983 BMX (Totaled... Twice)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
my "high end luxury car" Kind of a big stretch there, but agree a broken car no matter what end of the scale its at is a big pain in the butt.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
my "high end luxury car" Kind of a big stretch there, but agree a broken car no matter what end of the scale its at is a big pain in the butt.
Well I guess it's all relative, but I changed it to just luxury car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Schrute View Post
Fair question. What's your answer? There has to be a good reason, especially since you said you would buy a new one again.....
I guess it's because I like the cars. Every time I get it fixed and it starts working again I forget about the not being able to trust it part until the next time it goes into limp mode again on me.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM
I Know Nothing

Mein Auto: '10 E92 335i
Quote:
I guess it's because I like the cars. Every time I get it fixed and it starts working again I forget about the not being able to trust it part until the next time it goes into limp mode again on me.

Yeah I get ya.... Dated a woman like that once....

2010 E92 335i
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2007 E93 328i (Sold)
2002 Ford Focus SVT (Sold)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (Sold)
1983 BMX (Totaled... Twice)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2014 F30
More than 5 fuel pumps replacement I think you qualify under lemon law.
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
More than 5 fuel pumps replacement I think you qualify under lemon law.
I'd wondered about that before, but I think it has to be 3 times within the first year or something like that so I don't qualify. Mine have been spread over 2 cars though. I had at least 2 with my first (like I said, lost track) and 1 or possibly 2 so far with this one. On the second they wouldn't admit that it was actually the fuel pump saying that the hoses to it were clogged. I asked if the fuel pump was bad and was told they couldn't tell for sure. This was after BMW fixed the FP problem. I don't know what its going to be this time, but every other time my car has gone flaccid its been the fuel pump.

And, of course my warranty expired a month ago.... As did my BMW Assist subscription. Good thing I also have AAA.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-15-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
I'm embarrassed how many times the big flat bed truck has had to come to my little neighborhood to haul my "high end luxury car" away to the dealer. It will happen again in the morning. I don't even tell my family or friends that its broken again because its always followed with, "Why the heck do you keep getting them?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Gotta agree - can be an expensive PITA.
Quote:
Well I guess it's all relative, but I changed it to just luxury car.

I hope a BMW isn't "luxury car". I'm not ready for white shoes, knee socks and Bermuda shorts yet.

How about "car"? BMW has staked its claim to the "sports sedan" territory (or sports coop, or in my case, "sports wagon").

A Honda Accord Coupe has 278 HP, a neat 6-speed manual transmission, and is about a bazillion times as reliable as a BMW. $29,773, with navi. It has leather seats, if that's important. Maybe you could get close to an even-steven trade?
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I hope a BMW isn't "luxury car". I'm not ready for white shoes, knee socks and Bermuda shorts yet.

How about "car"? BMW has staked its claim to the "sports sedan" territory (or sports coop, or in my case, "sports wagon").

A Honda Accord Coupe has 278 HP, a neat 6-speed manual transmission, and is about a bazillion times as reliable as a BMW. $29,773, with navi. It has leather seats, if that's important. Maybe you could get close to an even-steven trade?
No doubt, a Honda for half the price is 50 times more reliable. Didn't have a single problem with my 3 Civics. I think a car that's $55k falls into the luxury category. Albeit not white shoe 6 series country club car luxury. Call it a sports coupe if you prefer. Either way, the car that I paid over 3 times more than my other cars shouldn't be 20 times less reliable. My 15yo Grand Cherokee with 150k miles on it was more reliable. You can argue that there is more "stuff" on a more expensive car to go wrong, but I'd like to think that for the extra money I'm also getting better quality control. Apparently not.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Really like my e90 335i. Wouldn't in a million years call it reliable though.
Too bad. That's a large black mark on the car and the brand. And will eventually show up in resale values.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
And I drove 30k+ with zero problems that would have prevented me from driving (SES light injectors were replaced and I was down a few cylinders for a few days) and now I'm 3k+ into my m3 and driving fine. Sounds like you have a dud or got a few duds it happens.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
I grenaded a Jeep Cherokee at 140,000 miles, that had been serviced umpteen times looking for a cooling system issue I knew was there that everyone (dealers, indy's) swore didn't exist, that had plagued the car since day one.

2 AC compressors ($1200 each time), extensive tranny work (felt like I owned a boat - BOut A Thousand) a few times, funky electrical gremlins throughout its life, squeaks and rattles from new, etc, etc, etc...

I think it doesn't really matter. Some cars are good, built on a good day at the factory, and some cars suck. Brands and likelihood of problems might be informed by statistical data, but really it comes down to luck of the draw.

For every "this car sucks!" anecdote, you can find a "I've never had a problem" response. There are people who swear by the Edsel, and the Pinto, still.

I always assume I'll have issues with our vehicles. The question is, do I love it enough to deal with it? If so, I do. If not... time to move on.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
[QUOTE=Snareman;7652553...would seem insane to me. I will get a 435, but I won't say it doesn't give me pause. I sure hope they've done something special with that car to make it not repeatedly fail me.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the ad nauseam repeated definition of insanity.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Really like my e90 335i. Wouldn't in a million years call it reliable though.
Too bad. That's a large black mark on the car and the brand. And will eventually show up in resale values.
What problems have you had with it? As for the black mark, everyone seems to say "But aren't BMWs not that reliable?" The mark seems to already be there.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Off it goes. Of couse when I went to drive it out to the truck it started no problem. I was half tempted to tell him just to leave it and I'd drive it, but I'd never trust it to drive it very far unless I had it looked at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO_20130615_123509.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	381927  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: assorted awesomeness
As for the "high end luxury car" commentary, a lot is perspective. For instance, where I live I think most neighbors see any BMW and think along the lines of, "Oh, look, all fancy in his houghty toity little special car. How'd he get all that money?" In the parking garage I use downtown the thought process is probably something akin to, "Oh, another BMW. How droll. Maybe he'll be able to afford something special if he stops being such a smart-ass all the time."
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
As for the "high end luxury car" commentary, a lot is perspective. For instance, where I live I think most neighbors see any BMW and think along the lines of, "Oh, look, all fancy in his houghty toity little special car. How'd he get all that money?" In the parking garage I use downtown the thought process is probably something akin to, "Oh, another BMW. How droll. Maybe he'll be able to afford something special if he stops being such a smart-ass all the time."
I agree, everything is relative.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
And I drove 30k+ with zero problems that would have prevented me from driving (SES light injectors were replaced and I was down a few cylinders for a few days) and now I'm 3k+ into my m3 and driving fine. Sounds like you have a dud or got a few duds it happens.
Yea, I would consider the dud thing except I had no major problems with my last 7 cars and have had both of my BMWs rendered undriveable at least 5 times that I can remember.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yea, I would consider the dud thing except I had no major problems with my last 7 cars and have had both of my BMWs rendered undriveable at least 5 times that I can remember.
Yeah I think around 3 of the same un drivable issues I'd dump it now granted most people don't have such a luxury, but I'd just look a little harder at the used ones on my next purchase or if I got multiple duds stop trusting my judgment to pick out a good used one and go new.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

I'm going to send a polite but frustrated email (along the lines of what I have in my first post in this thread) to several people at the dealer (CA, SA, sales manager, service manage, owner of the dealership and BMW customer service). I love the cars. I'm just frustrated with them. Anyone see a problem including norbert.reithofer@bmw.com?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm going to send a polite but frustrated email (along the lines of what I have in my first post in this thread) to several people at the dealer (CA, SA, sales manager, service manage, owner of the dealership and BMW customer service). I love the cars. I'm just frustrated with them. Anyone see a problem including norbert.reithofer@bmw.com?
I wouldn't... I just know in my area for every one person who might leave frustrated they've got others lining up to buy 328i's at 60-72 mo. financing so they don't mind letting people with capital walk. Very little bargaining power in some area's so remember that if you get a who cares response.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Tonight I went around a corner at 5mph because that's all the faster the car would go in limp mode.

Yet again. You must ask yourself: Why? What troubleshooting have you done?