Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
This is wrong. The price difference between diesel and gasoline fluctuates even more in the northeast due to the heavy use of home heating oil in the winter.

Given the 25% better milage at current prices gasoline needs to be about $1/gallon cheaper for the diesel not to come out ahead. The biggest premium I've ever paid for a gallon of diesel vs premium unleaded is about $0.12 or about 3%. It will be even more with the 328d.
Actually its not, I am not sure where you live but in the Boston area it is true. Where do you buy your diesel?

I've owned both a Jetta TDI and a Touareg TDI and NEVER seen diesel cheaper than premium unlike the poster from Texas where it was cheaper than regular. It is between 12cents and 20cents more than Premium.

What has home heating oil got to do with diesel fuel prices at the pump? That is like comparing engine oil and grease. LOL!

Last edited by fleuger99; 06-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
...What has home heating oil got to do with diesel fuel prices at the pump? That is like comparing engine oil and grease.
The price and market for heating oil has A LOT to do with the price of diesel: they're the same distillate (from the refinery.) Pump diesel has many additives (cetane, lubricity, etc.) while heating oil is basically pure #2 (with a dye added to identify it.)

During the winter, when demand for heating oil goes up, the price for #2 distillate INCLUDING PUMP DIESEL goes up (remember your economics?) In areas of the country (like TX and other areas of the country where we depend mostly upon natural gas/propane for heat during winter), diesel (#2 distillate) hardly changes, unlike in the northeast where lots of people still depend upon heating oil.

You car can actually run on heating oil - however if someone from the govt sees the dye you're in big trouble. Often, farmers have been caught running it in their tractors...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The price and market for heating oil has A LOT to do with the price of diesel: they're the same distillate (from the refinery.) Pump diesel has many additives (cetane, lubricity, etc.) while heating oil is basically pure #2 (with a dye added to identify it.)

During the winter, when demand for heating oil goes up, the price for #2 distillate INCLUDING PUMP DIESEL goes up (remember your economics?) In areas of the country (like TX and other areas of the country where we depend mostly upon natural gas/propane for heat during winter), diesel (#2 distillate) hardly changes, unlike in the northeast where lots of people still depend upon heating oil.

You car can actually run on heating oil - however if someone from the govt sees the dye you're in big trouble. Often, farmers have been caught running it in their tractors...
+1 on this.

I also got diesel 5 cents cheaper than premium last week in Natick MA, but it is more expensive at the same place today - just checked.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
skiVT
Did they mention the EcoCredit?
Nope, and they said that they wouldn't know the usaa credit until August. At this point, I am likely just going to wait to see what the usaa incentive is for certain and if the EcoCredit appears.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
That is definitely not the case here in the North East. Diesel is always about 10 cents/gallon more than premium. Seasons have no impact here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Jax View Post
Texas fuel prices bear little resemblance to much of the USA. It's the same with aviation (100LL) fuel prices. You can't expect inexpensive but fresh Gulf shrimp in Minnesota, either.

Jack
Have you checked the prices in your hood lately?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiVT View Post
Nope, and they said that they wouldn't know the usaa credit until August. At this point, I am likely just going to wait to see what the usaa incentive is for certain and if the EcoCredit appears.
If you place an order today and if the EcoCredit is announced sometime between now and the day you receive your car, would you still get the EcoCredit?