Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM
fleuger99 fleuger99 is offline
Registered User
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 94
Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
This is wrong. The price difference between diesel and gasoline fluctuates even more in the northeast due to the heavy use of home heating oil in the winter.

Given the 25% better milage at current prices gasoline needs to be about $1/gallon cheaper for the diesel not to come out ahead. The biggest premium I've ever paid for a gallon of diesel vs premium unleaded is about $0.12 or about 3%. It will be even more with the 328d.
Actually its not, I am not sure where you live but in the Boston area it is true. Where do you buy your diesel?

I've owned both a Jetta TDI and a Touareg TDI and NEVER seen diesel cheaper than premium unlike the poster from Texas where it was cheaper than regular. It is between 12cents and 20cents more than Premium.

What has home heating oil got to do with diesel fuel prices at the pump? That is like comparing engine oil and grease. LOL!

Last edited by fleuger99; 06-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,298
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
...What has home heating oil got to do with diesel fuel prices at the pump? That is like comparing engine oil and grease.
The price and market for heating oil has A LOT to do with the price of diesel: they're the same distillate (from the refinery.) Pump diesel has many additives (cetane, lubricity, etc.) while heating oil is basically pure #2 (with a dye added to identify it.)

During the winter, when demand for heating oil goes up, the price for #2 distillate INCLUDING PUMP DIESEL goes up (remember your economics?) In areas of the country (like TX and other areas of the country where we depend mostly upon natural gas/propane for heat during winter), diesel (#2 distillate) hardly changes, unlike in the northeast where lots of people still depend upon heating oil.

You car can actually run on heating oil - however if someone from the govt sees the dye you're in big trouble. Often, farmers have been caught running it in their tractors...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM
ddeliber ddeliber is online now
Loving my d
Location: Boston Area
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The price and market for heating oil has A LOT to do with the price of diesel: they're the same distillate (from the refinery.) Pump diesel has many additives (cetane, lubricity, etc.) while heating oil is basically pure #2 (with a dye added to identify it.)

During the winter, when demand for heating oil goes up, the price for #2 distillate INCLUDING PUMP DIESEL goes up (remember your economics?) In areas of the country (like TX and other areas of the country where we depend mostly upon natural gas/propane for heat during winter), diesel (#2 distillate) hardly changes, unlike in the northeast where lots of people still depend upon heating oil.

You car can actually run on heating oil - however if someone from the govt sees the dye you're in big trouble. Often, farmers have been caught running it in their tractors...
+1 on this.

I also got diesel 5 cents cheaper than premium last week in Natick MA, but it is more expensive at the same place today - just checked.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
skiVT skiVT is offline
Registered User
Location: Vermont
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: '11 golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
skiVT
Did they mention the EcoCredit?
Nope, and they said that they wouldn't know the usaa credit until August. At this point, I am likely just going to wait to see what the usaa incentive is for certain and if the EcoCredit appears.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 AM
bayoucity's Avatar
bayoucity bayoucity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,083
Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
That is definitely not the case here in the North East. Diesel is always about 10 cents/gallon more than premium. Seasons have no impact here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Jax View Post
Texas fuel prices bear little resemblance to much of the USA. It's the same with aviation (100LL) fuel prices. You can't expect inexpensive but fresh Gulf shrimp in Minnesota, either.

Jack
Have you checked the prices in your hood lately?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM
kubera kubera is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiVT View Post
Nope, and they said that they wouldn't know the usaa credit until August. At this point, I am likely just going to wait to see what the usaa incentive is for certain and if the EcoCredit appears.
If you place an order today and if the EcoCredit is announced sometime between now and the day you receive your car, would you still get the EcoCredit?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms