Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Coupe
How annoying is the idle-stop feature in the long run?

Hey everyone. I'm considering a lease of a 328i Coupe and during a test drive while I knew that idle-stop is a feature, I was unprepared for the strong shudder with which the engine came back to life.

At first I thought something was wrong with the car since it felt like the entire car shook. I understand if I want to disable idle-stop then I'll have to press a switch each time I start the car.

My question to anyone who owns a BMW with an idle-stop feature: were you able to get used to this "shudder"? Does this mean I have to be much smoother on the acceleration when starting from a complete stop? Any feedback appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
There are a LOT of posts here on the auto start / stop feature (and I mean a LOT), and I have a 335 sedan, and have heard that the feature is even rougher in the 328s than the 335s. With that being said, it seems to get smoother when you get a little more miles on the car, but I had the dealer code mine to "Last state" so I would not have to turn it off each time because it annoyed me. I never felt like I was in control of the car when it turned off. This is partly because, at least in the non hybrid BMWs, when it turns off the steering wheel also goes "dead". If you attempt to turn the steering wheel, it will turn the car back on, but I also found myself hesitating to step on the gas when the car turned itself off.

I was never actually able to reach the gas pedal with my foot before it turned back on, but it FELT like I would, and each time I felt like "is it gonna turn back on???? wheeew ok its on". This is probably because I am not used to it, but the little bit of gas savings is not worth it for me. NOTE: The feature is completely and utterly different on the bmw hybrids. My wife has an AH5 and the start stop feature can not be disabled in her car, and frankly there is zero reason to do so. The start up is smooth, you never lose power (steering wheel still turns), and you feel totally in control. The electric motor moves you off the line, and then the engine kicks in, and you simply can not feel it. Driving her car made me feel like I should have bought the AH3 but there was not one for me to test drive. The AH3 also is more expensive, so gas savings will not make up for the extra expense of the car, but it had really good eco credits etc, and you could lease one for almost the same as the sedan.

Of course, you are looking at the coupe so the hybrid stuff does not apply. Just ask the dealer to code the feature to default to the OFF state. Its covered by BMW under a service bulletin, so they will do it for free after you take ownership (lease) the car.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Coupe
Wow, thank you very much, jjrandorin! The fact that the feature can be set to DEFAULT=OFF is a relief. I'll absolutely ask my dealer to code mine to "Last state".
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilimanjaro View Post
Hey everyone. I'm considering a lease of a 328i Coupe and during a test drive while I knew that idle-stop is a feature, I was unprepared for the strong shudder with which the engine came back to life.

At first I thought something was wrong with the car since it felt like the entire car shook. I understand if I want to disable idle-stop then I'll have to press a switch each time I start the car.

My question to anyone who owns a BMW with an idle-stop feature: were you able to get used to this "shudder"? Does this mean I have to be much smoother on the acceleration when starting from a complete stop? Any feedback appreciated.
?? The current 328 coupe is an E92 and does not have Automatic Start-Stop. The new F32 coupe will no longer be a 3 Series, but instead a 4 Series 428 or 435 and is not yet available.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Got my new 320i May 15th and the dealer said I need to leave the car at the dealer for them to code it for last setting. I plan to bring it in for this change since I only use ASS in rush hour traffic.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Do you have a 4 cylinder car? I find the ASS to be exceptionally crude and unrefined and shaky on 4 cylinder BMW's. It's even feel unrefined and crude enough on my I6 5-Series which being a smoother motor and more "coddling" chassis tells you how terrible BMW's implementation of the Auto Stop/Start is.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Well, that might be going too far. I've only had ASS in rental cars in Europe and BMW's is about the same as other European-made cars. My car was a little rough, restarting, for the first few hundred miles but it's no big deal now. Even so, I always turn it off when starting the car, along with turning off DSC and going to Sport mode. More annoying is the legal disclaimer, every time I start the car.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
I first hated it, then grew to like it, now I'm starting to hate it again. It just feels very "rough" on a car that is otherwise silky smooth.

On the F30 328i I drove it was astonishingly rough, shook the whole car and even startled me a few times. I've seen some guys on non-3 Series boards express similar sentiments when driving F30 loaners, etc.

I really think BMW can refine it a lot. Though I haven't tried other systems, but I hear BMW's is supposed to be the crudest of all.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I first hated it, then grew to like it, now I'm starting to hate it again. It just feels very "rough" on a car that is otherwise silky smooth.
Does initially starting the car similarly strike you as rough?

I am a little surprised so many complain the restart is jarring. ASS merely warm starts the car. The context of the restart apparently creates higher expectations. Many appear to expect a smoother restart when the car does it on its own.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilimanjaro View Post

At first, it didn't bother at all. Now I hate it, but seriously, I love the car. Absolutely love it.

Just turn it off and eventually get it re-coded. No big deal. It doesn't take away from the overall experience at all.

Last edited by krash; 06-15-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: f30 328i Sportline
I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!
I don't have time to take it to the dealer to turn the damn thing off.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!
You can "code" it off yourself if you have the cable + coding software, or contact a 3rd party coder to do it for you / assist you with doing it.

There are code settings for both "last state" and "Off" (where "off" means it defaults to the OFF state when you start the car, but you can still turn it on). Would take a 3rd party coder about 10 minutes to make that particular change for you (if you did not want any other changes).
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: f30 328i Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
You can "code" it off yourself if you have the cable + coding software, or contact a 3rd party coder to do it for you / assist you with doing it.

There are code settings for both "last state" and "Off" (where "off" means it defaults to the OFF state when you start the car, but you can still turn it on). Would take a 3rd party coder about 10 minutes to make that particular change for you (if you did not want any other changes).
I just haven't taken the time to take it in.
As for coding it myself, I got iMac 27" and ipad, no laptop, so that's a no go.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Sport Line
Quote:
I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!
Is it really that difficult to turn ASS off after you start the engine?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I just haven't taken the time to take it in.
As for coding it myself, I got iMac 27" and ipad, no laptop, so that's a no go.
Just FYI for when you take it to the dealer, you probably want to arrange for a loaner vehicle. Mine took the better part of 2 days to do it, because they have to contact BMW to get a code to upload to your vehicle, then perform the update.

Mine took almost a day and half before they got the updated code, then did not actually perform the coding until the next day. I had a loaner from them, but it was still frustrating.

Dealer coding makes the ASS setting "part of the car" however as a "feature" like bluetooth, etc, so it stays after they update your software. 3rd party coding does not work that way for this feature, so its best to bite the bullet and let them code it for you if you can.

Just wanted to give you a time estimate, since if you are having issues getting it in there now, I would hate for you to think you were just going to show up, have em do it, and drive off. Thats what I was thinking, and it certainly did not go that way, lol.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Picture this scenario: you exit the bank on foot, running, with a bag of cash, paint on your face, jump into your bimmer for the getaway--only then to have to turn off ASS, turn on Sport, turn off DSC. You might as well just exit your vehicle after all this time and assume the position, feet spread apart, hands atop the car, because the police will already be on the scene!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Picture this scenario: you exit the bank on foot, running, with a bag of cash, paint on your face, jump into your bimmer for the getaway--only then to have to turn off ASS, turn on Sport, turn off DSC. You might as well just exit your vehicle after all this time and assume the position, feet spread apart, hands atop the car, because the police will already be on the scene!
Hahaha...this is why I never commit armed robberies without her waiting outside:

Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Does initially starting the car similarly strike you as rough?
No, but there is a huge difference. When you start the car, it is in park. When the ASS re-starts the car, it is in gear. The car (at least if you have an automatic) lurches forward because it's in drive and your foot is off or coming off the brake.

The lurch and shudder of the re-start is annoying, and very un-BMW like and sometimes embarrassing.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Yes, but all true bimmer drivers--except the badly-wounded war veterans--are driving manual transmissions, not slushboxes. Slushbox fans are driving Lexus and Mercedes.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yes, but all true bimmer drivers--except the badly-wounded war veterans--are driving manual transmissions, not slushboxes. Slushbox fans are driving Lexus and Mercedes.
Darn, I made an expensive mistake. I wish they would have told me that at the dealer, or the Performance Center, or M-School, or at the BMW CCA...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 PM

I love slush box drivers on the track since they are the only ones I can drop in the 3A/3B turns. They can't catch me after that.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF30 View Post
Is it really that difficult to turn ASS off after you start the engine?
I agree.

Your hand is already over there at the start/stop button. Just keep it there and push the ASS disable switch while you're at it.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: ~
This is oddly upsetting to some.

They would be homicidal if there wasn't a switch . . .
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This is oddly upsetting to some.

They would be homicidal if there wasn't a switch . . .
There is no switch on the hybrids (lol).
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
There is no switch on the hybrids (lol).
How about nudging the joystick* left to the DS mode?

*I can't stomach calling it a shifter today.