Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335is 6speed
I have a 2013 335is coming from a 2010 Infiniti G37S sedan. I definitely prefer the Infiniti's NAV to the BMW.

One thing I haven't figured out yet - is there a way to show the turn-by-turn list on the BMW, so you can view the directions before blindly following the NAV's advice? I'd like to be able to view the turn-by-turns before I head out and check the differences between the various route types - efficient, quick, shortest, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is2013 View Post
I have a 2013 335is coming from a 2010 Infiniti G37S sedan. I definitely prefer the Infiniti's NAV to the BMW.

One thing I haven't figured out yet - is there a way to show the turn-by-turn list on the BMW, so you can view the directions before blindly following the NAV's advice? I'd like to be able to view the turn-by-turns before I head out and check the differences between the various route types - efficient, quick, shortest, etc.
What did you like better about the Infiniti Nav? I got sick of the woman talking too much.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i MSport XDrive
Quote:

I had a 2007 G35 and that was better for directions. Last weekend the BMW navi tried to send me home via a dirt road. WTF? We were out hjust exploring but a suitable highway wasn't that far away.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: UDMs
I don't get the whining, maybe the new NBT Nav in my AH3 is much improved over the old system,as in over 2000 kms of travels in Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France the system and maps were dead accurate, every morning just 30 seconds to dial in the new city, street and number and a few hours later arrival at location specified. A few times I took a wrong turn and the nav patiently redirected me back on route. The routes were exactly as planned previously on google maps.

My AH3 ED Post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=698306
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
2013 NAV system: NOT impressed

Speaking from personal experience the performance of the euro maps is not indicative of performance of the US maps. The US maps supplier that BMW uses suuuuuucks!

However, perhaps the updated nav will be better? TBD

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Speaking from personal experience the performance of the euro maps is not indicative of performance of the US maps. The US maps supplier that BMW uses suuuuuucks!

However, perhaps the updated nav will be better? TBD

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thats funny as before my recent ED there was a post about how much the free euro maps supplied on ED sucked, test maps from 2008 or something like that. Zero problems for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 PM

delete

Last edited by EDF30; 06-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328 M Sport View Post
Ok, so I have been driving the wheels off my new 2013 328i. The NAV system really sucks(IMO). My 2012 Toyota Camry was much easier & gave better route choices.

Everytime I enter a destination, all my options are way off the best route availible. Today I put in my trip to BMW Climb to the Clouds in Lincoln NH, and it gave me a route that was 70 miles more than any Goggle maps route.

I've been told if I e-mail my prefered route to my car through Goggle, it wont take; car nav will pick it's own best route. I feel like I wasted my money on the Tech PKG now. I have to carry google maps sheets when I travel every time.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M Sport
All I know is that when it comes to route guidance, the Nav is system is better than the nav system in our Acura MDX and a 1000x better than the Nav system I had in my old Cadillac CTS.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
All I know is that when it comes to route guidance, the Nav is system is better than the nav system in our Acura MDX and a 1000x better than the Nav system I had in my old Cadillac CTS.
Wow, yea. I've used the one in my parents 2 Cadillacs and the BMW is FAR superior.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
not my experience at all, and mine is 2011 model year.
I've got a 2011 335i - hate the NAV.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
i would never buy this half baked crap. car is already way overpriced as it is.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF30 View Post
I don't get the whining...
Me neither.

I wonder if the perceived quality of the NAV depends on location, i.e., most people in CA (both SoCal and NorCal) have a better experience than those who live elsewhere?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Me neither.

I wonder if the perceived quality of the NAV depends on location, i.e., most people in CA (both SoCal and NorCal) have a better experience than those who live elsewhere?

Mine works quite well I live in Seattle.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_John View Post
I've got a 2011 335i - hate the NAV.
Hate is a strong word for it. There are definitely some areas where it could use some improvement, but overall it does a decent job. They just need to ditch the map company. I love being able to email addresses to my car (did you ever get that sorted out with yours?). I use that feature a ton because unfortunately BMW hasn't gotten to the point that my phone has where I can say "Navigate to the US Air Force Museum" and it just automatically routes me there. Or, "Navigate to starbucks" and it finds the closest few and asks me which one I want. Not sure why they are so far behind the times on that one. At least you can now blurt out the address in a continuous manner unlike with my 09. I almost never input an address manually from the car though.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Wow, yea. I've used the one in my parents 2 Cadillacs and the BMW is FAR superior.
Wow...that's scary to think about. You're Dad's Escalade seemed to do OK going to TDI. Is it simply a bad maps issue?
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Wow...that's scary to think about. You're Dad's Escalade seemed to do OK going to TDI. Is it simply a bad maps issue?
Did I ever tell you how my mom's car tried to take us to 2 different places at the same time? 2 different voices, one right speakers, one left to two totally different locations. Apparently if you put in one location but never make it there and then put in another it tries to take you to both. Why that makes any sense or would be a useful feature to anyone I have no idea. Stupidest thing ever.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Did I ever tell you how my mom's car tried to take us to 2 different places at the same time? 2 different voices, one right speakers, one left to two totally different locations. Apparently if you put in one location but never make it there and then put in another it tries to take you to both. Why that makes any sense or would be a useful feature to anyone I have no idea. Stupidest thing ever.
Run across this post on AudiWorld forum. They have the same issue there.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
Run across this post on AudiWorld forum. They have the same issue there.
Uh, that thread is 35 pages. Could you point to somewhere in the thread?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Uh, that thread is 35 pages. Could you point to somewhere in the thread?
Sorry, when I was reading it was far more less - to summaries - Audi navigation in 2011/2012 cars has 4 yr old navigation maps, that don't have latest street and hwy. One guy can't even enter his home address, where he leaves for few years - navigation can't find his street. Navteq supplied maps to Audi and state that Audi responsible for latest updates. Audi blame Navteq.

Quote:
I spoke with AOA on Thursday about my concerns. I forwarded the emails from NAVTEQ to the AOA Rep(Angel). She took notes and said that she'd call me back when she had more information. On Friday around 5:00pm she called to tell me that it was up to NAVTEQ to come out with the updates and it's not up to Audi to initiate them. Once the update is available, it's up to the owner to make arrangements with their respective dealer to have the installation done.
She added that when NAVTEQ comes out with the update that it will be posted on the site...see link. Overall, the conversaions with the AOA rep were pleasant but not what I wanted to hear. NAVTEQ says it's up to Audi. Audi says it's the other way around. After speaking with and corresponding with both, I'm convinced that Audi is the one being truthful. However, If I was Audi, I'd be putting the squeeze on NAVTEQ to get the F-ING updates out. Customers are getting PISSED. Anyway, that's all I could find out and I'm just going to sit tight and hope someone will get off their fatazz and create a fuggin update!!!
Quote:
I just took a quick look at the Navteq site and they don't have updates for any of the latest Audi models: A4 / A5 / A6 / A8 / Q7. Basically, it looks like 2009 was the last time updates were available which is crazy. I imagine this is because all of the cars above have basically the same nav system these days...

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT

Last edited by MB330; 06-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
in my F30 2012 328i NAV while driving from Texarkana to IAH (Houston International Airport), the BMW NAV wanted to route me to Dallas and then down to Houston. It's a straight shot down from Texarkana to IAH on HW 59 (which was in the NAV). Essentially the NAV was dead set on routing me on Interstates over state highways at the expense of a considerable amount of time. Google routed me on HW 59 with no issue.

Outside of this one quirk, my personal experience with the NAV has been quite positive.

- Henrik
Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Damn.. Why didn't anyone say how bad the NAV was before I got my car..

Everyone just said how amazing it is that it re-routes them with real traffic info, etc.

I've been unimpressed ever since I first used it over here in Houston. I no longer rely so much on the routes it give me but focus more on just looking at the map.
It's not that bad, I have mine set to fastest route and it does fine. I will say that if you choose to ignore it during your route it nags the hell out of you to turn around or back track instead of just finding the current more efficient route. Even my wives cx5 will figure out you want to take a different route and recalculate it without a peep!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Hate is a strong word for it. There are definitely some areas where it could use some improvement, but overall it does a decent job. They just need to ditch the map company. I love being able to email addresses to my car (did you ever get that sorted out with yours?). I use that feature a ton because unfortunately BMW hasn't gotten to the point that my phone has where I can say "Navigate to the US Air Force Museum" and it just automatically routes me there. Or, "Navigate to starbucks" and it finds the closest few and asks me which one I want. Not sure why they are so far behind the times on that one. At least you can now blurt out the address in a continuous manner unlike with my 09. I almost never input an address manually from the car though.
I didn't get the hardware issue taken care of until the first oil change...which took a year. After that I just never got around to setting up the thing with the email address. Really need to do that with the new one....and with Karen's car.

I guess hate is too strong of a word....but after a couple of really unnecessarily long trips due to poor routing, I have a strong dislike.
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD

Last edited by Daytona_John; 06-28-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I will say that if you choose to ignore it during your route it nags the hell out of you to turn around or back track instead of just finding the current more efficient route.
+1 on that. Once it gets a route into it's "head" it is very reluctant to let go, with sometimes bizarre routings. And, I don't think we can blame that on the maps. That's the routing algorithm.

Quote:
Since no one else has replied, I just want you to know that you can do this. I just don't remember how. It's very unintuitive to get to it and I know whenever I want to do this it takes me 5 minutes to find it. But it is there.

I have a Garmin for use in rental cars and in my Miata which does not have a built-in nav system. The Garmin is superior to the BMW nav in every functional aspect (other than the graphics display itself); superior in routing, superior in voice direction, superior in re-routing, superior in traffic detection and warnings. Yet, with all that said, the BMW nav is "good enough" and you cannot replace the convenience of having the built in nav and I would never deliberately do without it again. Having that map available to you the split second you realize you are lost or need to take an unfamiliar detour is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Wow....just wow. I don't know what else to say...
2006 330 TiAg - SOLD
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Wow....just wow. I don't know what else to say...
And there was no way I could figure out to cancel one or both of the people talking to me. My mom called OnStar the one time about it and they couldn't do anything with it either.